Main Menu

Prog 2078: Agent of Destruction!

Started by Colin YNWA, 21 April, 2018, 04:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

That's another one for the 'things that went over my head' thread, in more ways than one.  Is this Carlos trying to show us Johnny's true mutation?

norton canes

If it's got a video camera in the end I'll be very impressed.

Can't really do more than go with the general consensus this week - SinDex excellent, Jaegir too but shame it's over, Dredd a little underwhelming, Strontium Dog great and Anderson just too hard to follow.

Keef Monkey

Apologies if this has come up already, but is anyone else reading digital and seeing boxes around sound effects and titles/credits? I've been seeing it for a few weeks, not sure if the printed prog has had them too. Looks like where the sfx have been digitally placed over the artwork.

Just curious if there's something wrong with my progs! I first noticed it a few weeks ago I think and it's everywhere.

Tjm86

Being a hard core luddite in this record that prefers a physical copy, I can't say that I have, sorry.  Drop shadow does seem to be being used quite a bit on sound effects.  Perhaps it is an artefact of that?

Mind you, I could be seriously hallucinating so please, don't take my word for it.

TordelBack

Going to have to stick up for Anderson here: I'm enjoying it immensely. 

The plot (controlling Psis to act as hosts for Undercity 'Vampires') is a cracker, particularly the idea of drawing the various peripheral Psi Div characters together injects some relevance into older stories that otherwise seem to exist in their own little isolated bubbles, and continues Beeby's theme of presenting Anderson as the senior judge she is.

The babble of disembodied voices is a neat way of emphasising the peculiar WhatsApp-like reality of a gaggle of telepaths, and "who is speaking" issue is easily solved by noting the balloon colours: Anderson is yellow, Flowers is white, Echo is blue, Karyn/Vampire King is black. 

I think it more than holds its own in a very strong line-up.

Frank

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 26 April, 2018, 06:43:43 PM
Apologies if this has come up already, but is anyone else reading digital and seeing boxes around sound effects and titles/credits? I've been seeing it for a few weeks, not sure if the printed prog has had them too. Looks like where the sfx have been digitally placed over the artwork.

Just curious if there's something wrong with my progs! I first noticed it a few weeks ago I think and it's everywhere.

Mine are fine.

Presumably, it's an incompatibility issue between whatever reader you're using to look at the comic* and the types of zeroes and ones Tharg's been getting from the wholesaler, lately.

* Assuming this recent development is the result of an update, another one that fixes the problem should be along soon. Or you could try using a different reader

broodblik

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 26 April, 2018, 06:43:43 PM

Mine is fine as well, I am reading it via the Apple app for iPhone and iPad
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Fungus

The slight boxing effect around strip titles, cover text, etc. has been there many months for me, possibly the whole time I've been digital (over a year). iPad Pro & Chunky. It's slightly annoying, but whatever.

Keef Monkey

Glad it's not just me then, although it sounds like it's quite rare. I'm using the 2000AD app on Android and now that I think about it the change might have coincided roughly with when I got a new tablet, and I maybe just didn't notice for a while. Could well be a compatibility thing then, might try another comic reader and see what happens.

As for Anderson, I'm having the same problem as others have mentioned, I just have no idea what's going on from panel to panel unfortunately. It totally lost me around part 2. I'm going to give the whole thing a read once it's done and hopefully it'll click with me and flow better, I suspect it'll work a lot better that way and it may turn out to just be me getting easily confused (as happens often).

Tjm86

I found my initial confusion on Anderson was reduced by a re-read of the first few episodes.  As I've said elsewhere, I think there are two problems for me; firstly the thought bubbles and secondly the pacing.  The story seems to chop suddenly at times with very little to hold onto, making development easy to miss if you're not careful..

Timothy

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 27 April, 2018, 10:25:54 AM
Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 21 April, 2018, 08:33:37 PM

And worth seeing it unadorned as well. A joy forever.

Calling it now. Cover of the year.

I'm torn; next week's is a belter too. Less dynamic, but a thing of beauty nonetheless.

norton canes

Consecutive Ezquerra/McMahon covers. Truly we are spoiled.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: norton canes on 27 April, 2018, 11:48:26 AM
Consecutive Ezquerra/McMahon covers. Truly we are spoiled.

Yeah having seen next weeks cover we really are being spoiled. Both are superb and very different, but I think... think I know my fav. But bloomin' heck they are both superb.

Magnetica

I'm generally not a fan of McMahon's modern style. And by modern I mean pretty much anything he has done this millennium. But this is a lot more in keeping with how he used to draw Dredd back in the day...but not quite. But yes it is excellent.

Must almost be time for Bolland's once every 5 years cover. ;)