Main Menu

Prog 2079 - Top of the Class

Started by Richard, 28 April, 2018, 01:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Prog 2079 gets a Class of 2079-themed cover by McMahon, fittingly.

A new Dredd story by Alec Worley and Karl Richardson, presumably a 2- or 3-parter. I liked the funny bit on page 4 (but don't look now).

A completely ridiculous and over the top SinDex story which is quite fun.

Apparently this episode of Anderson is the second from last, and ends on a good cliff-hanger. I think when it's finished I'll have to go back and read the whole thing in one go, but I like that Karyn has come back and the use that has been made of her in this story.

A Future Shock by (I think) newcomers. Not a serious story, but it is based on a good and solid idea so it works for me.

Strontium Dog takes an interesting turn, but I don't want to say more here. No complaints from me about the art here.

It's a good prog this week. My only criticism is that on the cover, Rico Dredd's badge says Rico instead of Dredd. That always galls me whenever it happens.

Richard

WhizzBang

So who are these judges? I can't make out the name badges.
Rico, ? , Dredd, Gibson (Mutie The Pig), ?, ?.

Richard

wedgeski

Just popping in to say I thought this week's Dredd was *brilliant*.

Colin YNWA

Man I love that cover and there's much to love behind it as well.

I'll get Anderson out the way, it lost me a while ago and so I'm just not engaged enough to really dig into to it. A re-read at some point I'm sure and by what you hear it will be much improved.

A not bad Future Shock by creators I don't know, but the art is certainly strong and the story pretty good so lets see more from these chaps.

There's something 'softer' in Karl Richardsons inks on Dredd that I find more appealing so very happy with the art, the story is good too and I'm looking forward to what I hope will be a good old fashioned chase, with I suspect a good old fashioned twist at the end. Nice Dredd.

Strontium Dog was very strong, as Wagner really slams it hard on Johnny and guilt builds. Very effective episode.

As is Sinister Dexter, very strong epsiode and by George Ramone and his thought balloons had me snorting. Fantastic and can't wait for the second part.

All in all not a bad Prog at all.

Zenith 666

It's a good prog this week. My only criticism is that on the cover, Rico Dredd's badge says Rico instead of Dredd. That always galls me whenever it happens.

An honest mistake because of the newer Rico I'd believe or because newer readers might wonder about a two Dredds.

Bolt-01

Joe Palmer was the winner of the Thought Bubble comp in 2016, this is his second strip for Tharg and it was a real treat to see his work has still been evolving since his time at FQP.

A.Cow

Quote from: Zenith 666 on 29 April, 2018, 06:48:07 PM
My only criticism is that on the cover, Rico Dredd's badge says Rico instead of Dredd. That always galls me whenever it happens.

(Original) Rico's badge said "Dredd" in Mills' Return of Rico and Wagner's Blood Cadets ... but he's definitely wearing a helmet & uniform labelled 'Rico' in Origins.  So either Wagner has retconned it or he feels it's unimportant.

Personally, I liked the way that Judge Wagner looks like his namesake.  (Presumably Gibson does, too, but I've never seen a photo.)

The Enigmatic Dr X

Can't wait for Anderson to end. It's the first strip in 2000ad, ever, that I have been unable to follow.

It's not me, it's you, Cass.
Lock up your spoons!

CalHab

Is anyone else still waiting for their prog?

SIP

Well, it made me happy just to see Mick back on the cover. Outstanding. Coupled with Carlos and John on Strontium Dog inside and I have been moderately stirred from my malaise.

Though, to be fair, the amazing Johnny Alpha cover the previous week made me grin ear to ear too.

Thanks Tharg!

broodblik

Nice solid prog, I enjoyed these boots are made for walking cover.

Anderson still too much going on without any explanation and hopefully everything can make sense in the last installment next prog.

Really like the Dredd tale and Strontium Dog keeps on its classic touch
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

DrJomster

Strontium Dog is on awesome form at the moment. As mentioned above, great build on the story and gorgeous art. Loved the full page panel.

More love for the Future Shock from me. More newcomers please Tharg!

I know it's been said before, but Steve Yeowell plus John Charles colours is a combo that works really well.

Good first thrill with Dredd. Important to set the tone for the prog. Brilliant idea to get McMahon in for the 2079 cover. Well done that Tharg!

Strong prog overall tbh.

#PraiseBeToTharg
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.