Main Menu

Prog 2082 - Out For Blood!

Started by Leigh S, 19 May, 2018, 10:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Lots? I don't know how many people really complained about flashback SD stories - they were easily on a par with pre-Final Solution stories as far as I was concerned.

Rogue Trooper I'd say is slightly different in that he had a finite mission, which is another layer of something that can't be resolved, or really be part of the story in that case.

sheridan

Quote from: Geoff on 20 May, 2018, 08:14:57 PM
Anyone else notice the calendar in the Durham Red strip...!? In the office in the bar...

So that's why we haven't seen Marg in the prog for the past three decades...

norton canes

It's all about the vampire vixen this week huh. Great cover and the strip is easily Top Thrill. Going to have to read through it again to pick up on all the references and in-jokes, scripted and visual.

As someone who bailed on 2000 AD in the early 90's and only returned last year the whole Strontium Dog and associated characters timeline continuity thing doesn't bother me, this looks like it could carry straight on from 'The Stone Killers'. If this (rather explicitly akimbo) picture is anything to go by the chainmail costume will sort of be back:

Elsewhere Dredd is intriguing, Carroll's one of my favourite scripters and I like the aloof attitude he's given the  early Judges. Skip Tracer fills in some background detail; not sure how I feel about it just yet, it seems to be mixing elements from all kinds of previous strips from Brink to Bad City Blue without quite forging its own identity, but plenty of time. And Deadworld is sensational right from the off - 'Lucky!'

As for Survival Geeks - as explained above I wasn't around for previous runs so it's all new to me. Reckon an out-and-out comedy strip should certainly have a place in the Prog and as a Who fan the '96 move reference made me laugh. Plus it looks brilliant (though there were a few too many wide-open manga style mouths)

Funny enough I've been reading through Mind Wars this week, having only ever bought a few issues of Starlord. It has its moments but it's a bit undistinguished to be honest.

Tjm86

Quote from: norton canes on 24 May, 2018, 11:04:44 AM
....  reading through Mind Wars this week, having only ever bought a few issues of Starlord. It has its moments but it's a bit undistinguished to be honest.

Depends on which episodes you've been reading.  Arguably it has some of Redondo's best work (for me, anyway) and it is of an age for a different audience but it has stood the test of time quite well.  Don't get me wrong, it's nowt earth shattering but I think you'll find that reading it as a whole gives a different view.

Mind you, I'm slightly more than a little biased since Starlord is one of my more cherished childhood pleasures so it might be worth getting a second opinion.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: norton canes on 24 May, 2018, 11:04:44 AMthe chainmail costume will sort of be back

Although only in the sense of it being part of an outfit, rather than depicting Red in almost Red Sonja-style sexualised form. (That image above would be... rather more problematic had it used the Ezquerra outfit, or, for that matter, the Harrison one.)

norton canes

Quote from: Tjm86 on 24 May, 2018, 11:24:32 AM

Depends on which episodes you've been reading.  Arguably it has some of Redondo's best work (for me, anyway) and it is of an age for a different audience but it has stood the test of time quite well.  Don't get me wrong, it's nowt earth shattering but I think you'll find that reading it as a whole gives a different view

Yeah, I should have added that Redondo's work is peerless.

TordelBack

So the whole dang prog is working for me this week.

Favourite thing was the Durham Red relaunch, never been a huge fan of the character (Scarlet Apocrypha being an exception), but I've always felt she had huge potential, and this punchy, slickly-redesigned opener seems like it might deliver.  Very nicely done, not least the way it seems like it could fit  into any number of SD continuities and periods...  Bonus nudey pic of Marg proudly displaying the Areoles of Sirius! 

The proof of a new series is often in the second part, and Skip Tracer has a stronger episode, as some backgrounds get fleshed-out and the players come into focus.  I like the odd slow-burn SF wotsit, and if the worst negative I can think of is 'seems a bit like Brink', that's definitely a comparison no-one involved should be ashamed of!

Dredd was grand, if it seems a lot like a lead-in to Mike's new novel, that's perfectly fine by me -  it's interesting enough opener on its own merits, and I rather fancy Judges already.   

Deadworld continues to be incapable of putting a foot wrong: twisted versions of Booth/Trump, the Judge Child, Spikes Harvey Rotten and the Angel Gang all in the same story (that isn't Helter Skelter)? More please!

Finally, the very welcome return of Survival Geeks.  I know you're all sick of hearing me say this, but a single page of Googe is enough to put a smile on my face - everything just looks so bubbly and fun!  This is such a staggeringly efficient first episode that it should win some sort of prize: quick reprises of characters and situations barely take up more space than I did typing this, a new parallel is introduced, a slew of obligatory fandom gags are delivered, a neat psycho-Doctor storyline is kicked off, and we can already see how our characters are going to be involved.  Hats off to such a seemingly effortless intro!   

JamesC

Not much to add. A really enjoyable prog from cover to cover.

Hopes for the future are that Skip Tracer nails it's own identity in the next couple of weeks. It's been very enjoyable but I feel it needs to do something to stand out.
Durham Red was excellent - I hope when the character develops she becomes a female character, rather than a character who happens to be drawn as female, if you know what I mean.

Magnetica

Overall a very good Prog.

Great opener to the new Dredd story. It's really intriguing and could be something special. Jake Lynch's art is just great. Shades of McMahon (with a bit of Flint thrown in) for me.

Skip Tracer as others have said is a bit generic so far, but fun nonetheless and a good read.

Survival Geeks has never been one of my favourites but this was perfectly fine and the art really suits it.

Deadworld is also not one of my favourites but again it read really well.

I wasn't too sure about the change in Willsher's art at first - too many much like Lee Carter - but on a 2nd and dare I say it, 3rd reading it looks mighty fine. Indeed the colouring on it and Survival Geeks looks really good and is integral to the look.

BTW we have had 4 new strips and a new Dredd over the last two weeks, but without a "jumping on" Prog.

Overall the Prog is in fine form ( and I'm tired of comments that it is in decline/ isn't as good as it was in 1982).

Aaron A Aardvark

I have a soft spot for all the Starlord stories (except Holocaust, obviously) and far worse than Mind Wars have been reprinted over the years.

Another vote for Red as top thrill.

Generally good stuff all round. Skip Tracer hasn't grabbed me yet but  it's early days of course.

Richard

Mind Wars was really good. Def deserves a reprint.

Andrew_J

Loving the Durham Red reboot out of the gate. What a brilliantly constructed opening episode. That's how to start a new strip with a bang. Writing and art perfectly in tune. Can't wait to see what comes next. The Ezquerra dollars are a lovely easter egg.

Skip Tracer is setting up an intriguing world. Here's hoping it finds its groove and delivers on its promise.

Michael Carroll as always doing a great job with Dredd. This one looks like its going to be a good one.

I'm enjoying Survival Geeks to be honest. Its a refreshing strip for the prog, with lovely art.

Deadworld is finally beginning to interest me. Have found it hard to date to drum up much enthusiasm for the strip, but I'm starting to feel optimistic about this post-apocalyptic story, if that's not a contradiction.

One of the strongest progs overall in a while, IMHO.

maryanddavid

An enjoyable prog. 2000ad needs a humour strip IMO to keep it grounded a little, and not to overstay its welcome! Survival Geeks is great fun, fantastic art and usually an entertaining tale to back it up, happy to see it return maybe a little more often.

Skip, bit wary, but great art.
Durham, brilliant, even though its a 'reboot' it has the old western Stront feel, looking forward to more.

Deadworld, best in the prog and Dredd, great opener. The Lynch droid is starting to grow on me, some really nice storytelling.

Strong prog, only one weakish, but still has potential.

JLC

Dredd - intriguing start including a character from the The Avalanche novella, & some McMahon inspired art.

Skip Tracer - the design of the lead character sums this up, bland & generic.

Survival Geeks - love the artwork but never got into this, I find all the references too obvious.

Damned: The Fall of Deadworld - Love it.

Durham Red - brilliant! Great opening episode. Great artwork.

DrJomster

Catching up on my progs and what a good one to start with! Thrill containment cardigan at the ready when taking on this week's excellence!

Picks of the very fine crop for me were Durham Red, Survival Geeks and Dredd. A strong relaunch for Red with a nice tone to the story telling and gorgeous art. I do like me a bit of Survival Geeks too.

#PraiseBeToTharg cos that was a good prog.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.