Main Menu

Prog 2085

Started by BPP, 07 June, 2018, 03:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

I enjoyed all five stories this week, but Dredd and Red are the best. I liked the night-time fight pictures and thought they worked well enough; the bright river and waterfall stopped it from looking too dark.

wedgeski

Quote from: Frank on 11 June, 2018, 05:31:35 PM
Quote from: wedgeski on 11 June, 2018, 03:17:57 PM
On the way back from the kettle with a cup of tea and a stack of digestives.

Plain, Milk Chocolate, or Dark Chocolate?  Think very carefully about your answer.
For dipping? Plain Mcvities all the way.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Frank on 11 June, 2018, 01:30:38 PM
Quote from: wedgeski on 11 June, 2018, 11:05:12 AM
Deadworld ... the art looks great from 10 feet away

How are you reading your comics?

With the prog on the floor and me on stilts. Doesn't everyone?
Lock up your spoons!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 12 June, 2018, 10:06:09 AM
With the prog on the floor and me on stilts. Doesn't everyone?

For the love of God, man, treat yourself to some reading glasses!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

norton canes

Just picked up my prog. All I'm saying for now is told you so!

sheridan

Skip Tracer is still waiting in line to grab my attention. I can read it in like 40 seconds. This week's episode was a fight, and one piece of information. Still no clue about the protagonist, and very little about the world. Hopefully there'll be a table-flipping episode soon.

Not come across that phrase before (in this context) - does that mean an episode where a table is flipped literally, or where the storyline gets flipped conceptually?

sheridan

One hand with the cup of tea, one hand with the digestives, how do you hold the prog?

wedgeski

Quote from: sheridan on 13 June, 2018, 01:00:14 PM

One hand with the cup of tea, one hand with the digestives, how do you hold the prog?
:WINK:

wedgeski

Quote from: sheridan on 13 June, 2018, 12:59:53 PM
Skip Tracer is still waiting in line to grab my attention. I can read it in like 40 seconds. This week's episode was a fight, and one piece of information. Still no clue about the protagonist, and very little about the world. Hopefully there'll be a table-flipping episode soon.

Not come across that phrase before (in this context) - does that mean an episode where a table is flipped literally, or where the storyline gets flipped conceptually?
Ironically given your screen name, I got that phrase from one J. Michael Straczynski. :) He likes to write "table-flipping" TV episodes, where the audience assumptions are shown to be false or undergo a radical mutation.

broodblik

The prog continues on the same path and it is still thumbs up for me.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

sheridan

Quote from: wedgeski on 13 June, 2018, 01:26:00 PM

Ironically given your screen name, I got that phrase from one J. Michael Straczynski. :) He likes to write "table-flipping" TV episodes, where the audience assumptions are shown to be false or undergo a radical mutation.

Ah, nothing against Babylon 5, but that character was the bane of my life when it was popular - NO, I DID NOT NAME MYSELF AFTER A FICTIONAL CHARACTER FROM A TV SHOW I'VE NEVER SEEN! *  (also, if I had access to the time travel necessary to influence my parents in naming me before the show existed, I'd probably be living in a mansion by now!)

*can you tell I used to get this question a lot?

James Stacey

Quote from: sheridan on 13 June, 2018, 02:52:18 PM
Quote from: wedgeski on 13 June, 2018, 01:26:00 PM

Ah, nothing against Babylon 5, but that character was the bane of my life when it was popular - NO, I DID NOT NAME MYSELF AFTER A FICTIONAL CHARACTER FROM A TV SHOW I'VE NEVER SEEN! *  (also, if I had access to the time travel necessary to influence my parents in naming me before the show existed, I'd probably be living in a mansion by now!)

*can you tell I used to get this question a lot?
You should watch it then, its great :D

Frank

In an alternate reality, probably one where President Boone was the last president of Amerika, Tharg phoned Kendall and had him work that panel up into Cover Of The Year 2018.

So many individual panels are masterpieces in miniature, but go unappreciated because the artist prioritised storytelling over showboating. It's good to highlight moments where an artist's obviously touched on something that really resonates with him; Ancient and Malevolent are the first blocks in Kendall's custom colour palette.[1]

Kek-W haps psertainly pstruck upon a psuitably dipstinctive psignature pstyle of pspeech for psi characterps, although the temptation to overdo it ips obvioupsly irrepsipstible.

Pspeaking of alternate realities, I can see why two lefties couldn't pass up the opportunity to depict Melania bludgeoning Trump to death in the Kremlin, but if we're to understand Deadworld as a mirror universe of Dredd Alpha, wouldn't it have been more interesting to have Clinton[2] win the election (rather than the popular vote)?

Booth/Boone as Trump and the 2016 (or 2020) election already don't quite fit into the timeline, but throwing Kazan and the Apocalypse War (2104) onto the bonfire really emphasises Nigel's not playing a Long game. Nobody's meticulously planned out how this is all going to fit into an alternate history of MC1[3], like Alan Moore with his roll of butcher paper or Jon Osterman with his watch parts.

[1] Speaking of colour, alluding to Ezquerra's colour aesthetic for his two least lovely female character creations is a lovely touch.

[2] 'The third sister. Call her Delirium'

[3] Which is fine. It's interesting to mark the distinction, though.

Link Prime

Quote from: sheridan on 13 June, 2018, 02:52:18 PM

Relax mate - why don't you sit down with a nice cuppa and a Garibaldi?

TordelBack

Quote from: Frank on 13 June, 2018, 04:22:02 PMNobody's meticulously planned out how this is all going to fit into an alternate history of MC1[3], like Alan Moore with his roll of butcher paper or Jon Osterman with his watch parts.

I don't think Deadworld is really meant to be an alternate history, though.  It's "Death's dark dimension", populated by twisted analogues of Dreddverse characters and elements (and some from our own?), and all taking place some long time in the "past", rather than being an alternative course of events.  I'm presuming there are psychic/causality echoes bouncing between the two worlds, influencing things like Feyy's prophecy, or possibly Feyy's prophecy influencing Deadworld (this Judge Child might really be a saviour in some sense, rather than a destroyer).  It's all a bit more vague and supernatural, rather than counterfactual.