Main Menu

Prog 2085

Started by BPP, 07 June, 2018, 03:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BPP

Surprised this landed so early - great cliff Robinson cover in that it's cliff Robinson rather than it's a great cover (it's fine)

Everything else moving along grand. Two art niggles - jake Lynch needs to draw some backgrounds and the 'night' colours on Durham Red make it a particularly dull strip to look at.

Still nice to have bagged my first subs thread with my first subs issue.

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Magnetica

What's the tag line?

BPP

Gun Your Engines!

Sub - assassins hit and run in Judge Dredd
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

moly

Highlight for me the week were dead world and survival geeks

Colin YNWA

A Thursday Prog is very impressive, don't think I've ever had one of those... unless its late that is.

Anyway to more important matters its another good Prog, but pretty much as you where really, no shame it that but it does kill a Prog thread!

The biggest problem is now Skip Tracer and the problem remains the same its just feels like its had enough time to sort it. All the cool minators, all the excellent visuals and all the intriguing endings are for nowt if you don't care because you haven't been engaged with the main character and the conflict they face. I've been patient enough as that can take time but we're 5 issues in now and I'm no more invested than I was in part 1.Shame as it has potential and does look great. Funny cos in my current re-read documented elsewhere I've discussed the main problem with strip I'm reading now from back in 1991/2 and there are so many strips with angry, hard men with nothing to buy in and no charm or charisma ... we have the same problem here.

The other problem remains Survival Geeks which for all its moment that catch hold and provide fun is overall still a bit twee and again I'm just not invested in the character enough. Shame looks great.

Everything else remains great though, Dredd a delicious balance, Durham Red an action thriller and Deadworld is just fantastic as an invasion seems to be thrown into the mix!

Good prog.

IndigoPrime

For the first time, I'm feeling a touch twitchy about Deadworld, with the references to Dredd's universe. Still, the strip as a whole is rattling along nicely, and I love the twist about [spoiler]The Sisters of Death not only being the real powers, but being ancient and from somewhere else[/spoiler] – interesting.

Dredd is fab. Durham Red continues to barrel along and is the kind of soft reboot that's rarely been done this well. Survival Geeks does its job, and Skip Tracer, while now wowing me, is perfectly readable.

Not quite a slam-dunk Prog, but when the worst strip is pretty good and three are super, it'd be churlish to complain. Oh, and that snark in the Damage Report made me chuckle.

Geoff

Not got mine..grrr...

A rare absence though these days and patience is a virtue...

Woolly

Deadworld is blowing my mind, as is Durham Red. Dredd is great, if a little drawn out, and Survival Geeks looks lovely but aint for me.

Skip Tracer is getting by on art alone at the minute. Still waiting for the hook on this one.

wedgeski

I'm really digging Survival Geeks. There's some really great visual comedy in there, which is fitting for such a beautiful strip.

Skip Tracer is still waiting in line to grab my attention. I can read it in like 40 seconds. This week's episode was a fight, and one piece of information. Still no clue about the protagonist, and very little about the world. Hopefully there'll be a table-flipping episode soon.

Deadworld continues to intrigue, and its parallels to Dreddworld are fun, but I'm one of those people who just doesn't dig the art. Looks great from 10 feet away, but the characters are just a mess of pale tones up close.

Dredd is great. I'd be quite happy with new stories set entirely in the transitional pre-Booth era. It's fertile ground.

Durham is gorgeous, and pootles along nicely.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: wedgeski on 11 June, 2018, 11:05:12 AMDredd is great. I'd be quite happy with new stories set entirely in the transitional pre-Booth era. It's fertile ground.
Likewise. Would be ideal fodder for the Meg.

Tjm86

Amen.  It's odd how it's not been considered before.  Perhaps too many folks have been put off the idea of stepping on the continuity toes of Messers Wagner and Grant? 

Then again, case for the prosecution: The Phantom Menace.  Maybe some things are best left alone?

Frank

Quote from: wedgeski on 11 June, 2018, 11:05:12 AM
Deadworld ... the art looks great from 10 feet away

How are you reading your comics?

wedgeski

Quote from: Frank on 11 June, 2018, 01:30:38 PM
Quote from: wedgeski on 11 June, 2018, 11:05:12 AM
Deadworld ... the art looks great from 10 feet away

How are you reading your comics?
On the way back from the kettle with a cup of tea and a stack of digestives.

Frank

Quote from: wedgeski on 11 June, 2018, 03:17:57 PM
On the way back from the kettle with a cup of tea and a stack of digestives.

Plain, Milk Chocolate, or Dark Chocolate?  Think very carefully about your answer.