Main Menu

New Alphabet...

Started by K2, 18 June, 2018, 06:18:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

K2

Since my story "Lest ye be Judged" is being expanded to the sequels of "The Violence of Lambs" & beyond, I decided that along with the 'Pastoral Pidgin' language they needed to have an alphabet.  It's not a new one, this one I developed for a barbarian race I generated long ago to go with it's few-thousand word language.  However, since that project is long past I might as well recycle it and get some more use out of it.

K2

K2

How it reads when put into practice.

Read from 'top-to-bottom, left to right,' it's not about trying to be different, tricky or in code.  The application simply chosen to cope with 'messy' writing implements considering most people are right handed.

K2

TordelBack

One might note that a chunk of your numbers are identical in rotation (like our 6 and 9).  Examples: 1, 6 and 8; 2 and 9; 5 and 7.  Might work for barbarians, but for techno-types it could be a bit of a nightmare, especially in zero-G!  You might need an additional symbol/line to indicate orientation.

K2

Quote from: TordelBack on 18 June, 2018, 03:22:45 PM
One might note that a chunk of your numbers are identical in rotation (like our 6 and 9).  Examples: 1, 6 and 8; 2 and 9; 5 and 7.

Spatial orientation of the reader is their problem ;)  If they can't figure out which side is up, they have bigger issues  :lol:

Anyway, it's even simpler than that, and the point of it.  It is not meant to be confusing or complex.  Essentially, for letters there are only 3-symbols, rotated 3-ways, with the location of the 'talon' in one of 3-places.  Numbers (only needing 9+0) utilize one symbol, a point in 3-positions, and a talon in 3-places.  It is meant to be simple, easily understood, easily deciphered and easily remembered.

The origin of the system, again based off of "3's."

3-base symbols (line, talon, point)
A triangle (3-sides) divided into 9-parts, three designators added around it.

By avoiding one of the 9 sub-divisions, you get a shape.

In the end you get only 3-shapes, which are rotated one of 3-ways:

Add the talon as a designator (3-positions), and you have an easy to use alphabet... Numerals even simpler.

Anywho, you fellas are a pretty creative bunch, so thought you might enjoy seeing it.  I'll be using it in my follow-up novel in LybJ to further divide the masses from the plutocracy.

K2