Main Menu

Prog 2093 - Infernal Engines

Started by Richard, 04 August, 2018, 01:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 05 August, 2018, 11:34:35 AM
Quote from: Magnetica on 05 August, 2018, 10:41:16 AM
So this week we have possibly the most controversial thing that has been printed in the Prog in a very long time....and no-one is commenting on it.

In the last letter, the writer states that a number of the current writers have supplanted what were his previous favourite writers...

....Mark Millar and Igor Goldkind.

Ok, so I guess every one has their own tastes, and far be it for me to say you should or should not like something, but I found that just a little surprising.

I did do a double take at that myself!

It did jump out at me - just goes to show how much the generational gap can affect perceptions (like adults who were introduced as children to the prequel trilogy, so for them that was their first exposure to Star Wars).

sheridan

So, I was aware that [spoiler]Armoured Gideon[/spoiler] had some visiting crossover characters all those years ago, but could somebody with a better memory than me list some of them?

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 08 August, 2018, 05:34:37 PM
So, I was aware that [spoiler]Armoured Gideon[/spoiler] had some visiting crossover characters all those years ago, but could somebody with a better memory than me list some of them?

Never mind, found them on the British Comics Wikia - [spoiler]Bill Savage, Harry Angel, Wolfie Smith, Black Hawk, Shako, Harry Twenty, Rick Random, Meltdown Man, Agent Ratp[/spoiler].

Frank

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 08 August, 2018, 04:10:53 PM
When it comes to Stront, though, I don't know if I want anyone else on that strip (maybe Colin MacNeil). I'd happily have him never draw a Dredd strip again to get as much Stront as possible before his eventual retirement.

I love Simon Harrison's work on Strontium Dog. Those few episodes of Final Solution Colin MacNeil painted are the loveliest things my eyes have encountered. That double-page spread Brendan McCarthy did and covers by Greg Staples and Steve Dillon are up there in my pantheon.

I have absolutely zero interest in seeing any other artist continue the strip once Ezquerra is finished with it. Carlos is Strontium Dog.

Magnetica

Yes it will be a sad day when Carlos is no longer drawing Strontium or Dredd, but in general the Prog is very well served by artists at the moment. It's more the next generation of writers I am concerned with.

Oh and whilst I have Ben Willsher in my top three artists, he has actually done very little for Tharg since Day of Chaos. I hope he is recovered as I would love to see more of that style he employed on the recent Durham Red story ( as well as his previous style).

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Magnetica on 08 August, 2018, 06:25:42 PM
Oh and whilst I have Ben Willsher in my top three artists, he has actually done very little for Tharg since Day of Chaos. I hope he is recovered as I would love to see more of that style he employed on the recent Durham Red story ( as well as his previous style).

*coughcough*Roy of the Rovers*cough*
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richard

I believe the Armoured Gideon Story with all those other characters was the one in progs 928-935.

broodblik

Quote from: Frank on 08 August, 2018, 05:48:43 PM
I have absolutely zero interest in seeing any other artist continue the strip once Ezquerra is finished with it. Carlos is Strontium Dog.

Maybe when Carlos is ready and on his terms allow Johnny Alpha to ride off in the sunset (like a good old fashion cowboy movie). No killing just a nice sunset scene.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

I keep refreshing the 2000 AD shop, but there's no collected Armoured Gideon hardback with a brand-new Simon Jacob cover. Must be some kind of weird caching error, surely?

sheridan

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 08 August, 2018, 07:58:48 PM
I keep refreshing the 2000 AD shop, but there's no collected Armoured Gideon hardback with a brand-new Simon Jacob cover. Must be some kind of weird caching error, surely?

I'd love to see some new Simon Jacob artwork - Heroes of 2000AD says he's doing fantasy art nowadays - anybody got any more info?

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: sheridan on 08 August, 2018, 05:16:54 PM
Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 04 August, 2018, 08:24:43 PM
Hmmm, I said "Any other recent instances of crossovers between series?", AFTER reading your post regarding said crossover, hence the "Any other" part of my post.

[spoiler]Bunky[/spoiler] in [spoiler]Judge Dredd[/spoiler].

See, you understand my original post!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Tiplodocus

Great prog from top to bottom for me. Well done Tharg and droids.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

James Stacey

Last I heard Simon Jacob was a rep for Gibson Guitars I think. My wife's ex knew him ... or something. I've slept since then.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Link Prime

Next week's Armoured Gideon cover by Kei Zama looks the business, but its a missed opportunity that the Jacob Droid wasn't reactivated to draw it.