Main Menu

Meg 400 - 400th Issue!

Started by Richard, 15 September, 2018, 10:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: broodblik on 20 September, 2018, 04:01:02 PM
Quote from: Bolt-01 on 20 September, 2018, 03:17:06 PM
Quote from: metcalfecarr on 20 September, 2018, 01:33:37 PM
Am I blind or is there no creator credits box on Storm Warning because I really preferred the art to Tom Fowler's first story and would like to know who did it.

That will be Jimmy Broxton.

On the digital version all the credit for the different strips can also be found on page 100

Is that the back page?  Reddish background fading down to black?  That's on the physical copy too, though completely misses out the lettering droids (which is a bit strange for the strip itself, 'coz aren't they the ones who put on the credit boxes?  Or is that the bodgers / art editors?)

sheridan

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 September, 2018, 09:25:40 PM
Couple of disappointments to get out the way. As mentioned below would have loved Mind Wars in the floppie but not to be alas. Also no new strip. Always like a noce new strip in a chocker big issue like this.

Read the last two sentences a couple of times and can't figure out what you mean - every new strip is new, nothing continuing from the previous issue (granted that Lawless, Blunt II and The Dark Judges all continue directly on from previous books, but the rest are either one shots or the first episode of a continuing story).

p.s. with you on Mind Wars, though I can see why they would want an all-Dredd floppy for Meg 400.

Anderson Perfectly functional but didn't really feel like it had anything new to say. It looked stunning BUT for a story focusing on Anderson't 40th year on the street no effort seemed to be made to make the years show which was a real shame as otherwise great work.

Very much agree with this - the whole point of the story is that she's been on the streets for 40 years (not got Anderson Year One immediately to hand, but presuming she graduated the Academy at the standard 20 yo).  She looks a third of the 60 years old she should be.

Colin YNWA

Well its never a suprise when folks don't get what I say, I don't make it easy - its more a surprise folks get through my jungle of typos and spelling mistakes to even bother to find meaning!

Anyway in this case I mean an entirely new series. I always think the very best launch issues introduce an entirely new series. So just to snatch at a quick and lazy example Prog 2000 had a load of classics, but also 'Counterfeit Girl' debuting. House of Tharg is all about change and development and so I always like that to be emphasised in a launch prog with a new series.

In my head it gives new readers a strip that feels like their's as they've got on board with everyone else.

TordelBack

The Anderson story is beautifully drawn,  but in addition to the the ageing question (Carousel) already raised: (a).  She's apparently Spiderman/a Jedi/Stan Lee now? That's a minimum 4-storey drop into that roadster; (b). Were the bad guys from the same gang as the ones Dress was chasing in Prog 2100?

TordelBack

Dress=Dredd. sigh. Any chance of an edit function,  Tharg?

wedgeski

I see the attraction of a Death-adjacent Anderson strip, and I liked it for what it was, but a story that makes a point of her time in uniform should really have been about her time in uniform. Still, nice to see her kicking ass as a street judge, even if she gets caught like a chump later-on.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 September, 2018, 08:57:22 AM
The Anderson story is beautifully drawn,  but in addition to the the ageing question (Carousel) already raised: (a).  She's apparently Spiderman/a Jedi/Stan Lee now? That's a minimum 4-storey drop into that roadster;

Must be something they put in the milk that strengthens the bones...
Quote(b). Were the bad guys from the same gang as the ones Dress was chasing in Prog 2100?

That'd be interesting - haven't managed to get 2100 yet, thanks to work getting in the way of valuable comic shop time, but hope to remember to look out for it tomorrow.

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 26 September, 2018, 06:37:17 AM

Anyway in this case I mean an entirely new series. I always think the very best launch issues introduce an entirely new series. So just to snatch at a quick and lazy example Prog 2000 had a load of classics, but also 'Counterfeit Girl' debuting. House of Tharg is all about change and development and so I always like that to be emphasised in a launch prog with a new series.

In my head it gives new readers a strip that feels like their's as they've got on board with everyone else.

I agree would have liked a totally new story not a continuation of a current story. That aside No 400 was great cannot wait for No 500 (coming soon sometime in 2027)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

sheridan

Quote from: broodblik on 26 September, 2018, 07:46:14 PM
I agree would have liked a totally new story not a continuation of a current story. That aside No 400 was great cannot wait for No 500 (coming soon sometime in 2027)

Don't forget the Meg's 30th birthday!

Magnetica

Prog 2500 should come out in a similar timeframe. Can't quite be bothered to do the math to see which will be first. And then soon after will be the Prog's 50th.

broodblik

Quote from: Magnetica on 26 September, 2018, 08:46:01 PM
Prog 2500 should come out in a similar timeframe. Can't quite be bothered to do the math to see which will be first. And then soon after will be the Prog's 50th.

If my calculation holds water then we can expect the prog on 26 Augustus 2026. So No 500 and 2500 we can read together
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

I don't think that's right.

Meg 500 is 100 months away, which is eight years and four months.

Prog 2500 is 400 issues away, but that's not 400 weeks because there are only 50 issues a year, not 52. So it's exactly eight years. They will be four months apart.

Richard

Well, you can still read them together of course. But you'll have to wait a bit longer for one than the other.

broodblik

Quote from: Richard on 27 September, 2018, 03:07:02 PM

Prog 2500 is 400 issues away, but that's not 400 weeks because there are only 50 issues a year, not 52. So it's exactly eight years. They will be four months apart.

Yes I tried to accommodate the fact of only 50 progs a year.  Every few years like 2014 we do get 51 progs.

TordelBack

Quote from: broodblik on 27 September, 2018, 04:11:59 PM
Quote from: Richard on 27 September, 2018, 03:07:02 PM

Yes I tried to accommodate the fact of only 50 progs a year.  Every few years like 2014 we do get 51 progs.

It's the Synod of Whitby all over again.