Main Menu

Let's bring Ian Gibson back in the from the cold.

Started by matty_ae, 19 September, 2018, 03:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matty_ae

I thought Ian Gibson's interview in today's Megazine 400 was excellent.

Clearly if his health allows, the man is willing to work for 2000ad again so let's make it happen.

That is all.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

sheridan

Yes, also noticed that he said he'd written Book IV, plotted Book V and there was something about Book VI too.  I'd love to know when he did all that...

Link Prime

Normally I'd be in favour of having one of 2000AD's most prolific and brilliant artists return to the Prog.

But we're talking about someone who once drew a pair of tits! Gen-u-ine mammary glands.

Is that the kind of artist we want in 2000AD in 2018? Won't someone think of the children, etc?

GordonR

Timeline check:  Ian's last 2000AD work was in 2008. The topless HJ kerfuffle was in 2013.

Therefore, whatever went wrong with his 2000AD relationship happened well before then.

SIP

Yeah, I've not got around to reading the interview yet, but didn't it all come to a head around the Samantha Slade story? My memory may be failing me though.

IndigoPrime

Perhaps the tone comes across poorly, but to me the interview read rather arrogantly.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SIP on 20 September, 2018, 12:38:11 PM
Yeah, I've not got around to reading the interview yet, but didn't it all come to a head around the Samantha Slade story? My memory may be failing me though.

If memory serves, Alan was basically writing Samantha Slade to give Ian some work, but Ian felt the scripts were sub-par and didn't interest him, as became increasingly apparent from the effort he was putting into the art, until he jacked it in mid-way through a series and Anthony Williams had to finish the thing off.

Not long after that, Ian penned a rather sour piece for a comics website arguing that 2000AD had cost 8p when he first worked for them, and (I think) £1.90 at the time he was writing, which meant he should now be getting £1500 for a page of B&W art.* Because, obviously, in thirty years there had been no increases in overheads or production costs, the magazine hadn't moved to much more expensive printing processes, and hadn't seen an 80-odd percent reduction in sales.

*Note: I'm not arguing that comic artists are well, or even adequately, paid. In fact, I think it's probably the most labour-intensive and least rewarding way someone can find to monetise artistic talent.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

SIP

Right, I remember the Slade strip troubles and the change in artist at the end of the story. Always assumed Ian Gibson had downed tools and walked unexpectedly without finishing the strip and that incident had been the end of the relationship. Only my assumption at the time though based on what appeared to be rushed pages and then his sudden  disappearance.

Hadn't heard about the subsequent website article.

IndigoPrime

His ongoing dismissal of that sort-of-but-not Halo pic irks too. Just own the fuck up. Stop blaming other people.

Woolly

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 20 September, 2018, 03:33:08 PM
His ongoing dismissal of that sort-of-but-not Halo pic irks too. Just own the fuck up. Stop blaming other people.

But wasn't he commissioned to draw the piece? *
Just like Carlos was when he recently drew topless Durham Red?
Don't see anyone throwing shade at Carlos...

*(Apologies if I'm wrong here!)

wedgeski

I don't see any arrogance in the interview... but it's no-holds barred, for sure. I have a better idea of the man than I did before reading it. Kudos to the Meg for running a seemingly unsanitised conversation with one of the prog's all-time greats.

Downing tools in the middle of a strip, if that's what happened, is a great way to poison a professional relationship. Unforgivable? Hopefully not, but we don't what else went on, if anything. Surely the interview itself could be seen as a sign that the ice is melting?

SIP

Quote from: wedgeski on 20 September, 2018, 03:47:32 PM
I don't see any arrogance in the interview... but it's no-holds barred, for sure. I have a better idea of the man than I did before reading it. Kudos to the Meg for running a seemingly unsanitised conversation with one of the prog's all-time greats.

Downing tools in the middle of a strip, if that's what happened, is a great way to poison a professional relationship. Unforgivable? Hopefully not, but we don't what else went on, if anything. Surely the interview itself could be seen as a sign that the ice is melting?

Just for clarity, I'm not asserting that he DID down tools and then walked, only that it's what I assumed had happened. The truth may be entirely different.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me