Main Menu

Doctor Who Series 11 Discussion

Started by Andy Lambert, 07 October, 2018, 08:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Lambert

Personally, from what I've seen so far... I love the latest TARDIS interior...

Funt Solo

Isn't it a bit weird that the Tardis interior keeps changing?  Was it always this way between Doctors?  Like, did it change between the best Doctor (that's 4, of course) and Tristan Farnon?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Andy Lambert

The classic series had the occasional deviation...

Taryn Tailz

I always liked that Mid-Tom Baker era console room (pictured above), though it was sorely lacking a time rotor (which might have looked glorious had they made one in stained glass to match the theme of the room).

Generally speaking in the classic series the original design was tweaked on a regular basis, though never so major has to make much of a difference. They tried to introduce a new console room in the Jon Pertwee era, rather unflatteringly referred to as the 'washing-up bowl interior', though it didn't stick. It was intended had the series continued into 1990 that a new console room would have been introduced. A design was drawn up for it but it wasn't until the recent Titan Comics run of 7th Doctor strips that the design was actually used.

Andy Lambert

QuoteI always liked that Mid-Tom Baker era console room (pictured above), though it was sorely lacking a time rotor (which might have looked glorious had they made one in stained glass to match the theme of the room).

Oh yes - that would've looked stunning!

M.I.K.

Earliest comment upon TARDIS interior alterations within the programme itself and the start of a very long-running gag...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbnWmR7piEg

IndigoPrime

http://www.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/tardis/interior/

Season seven was apparently the "moved to someone's garage for some reason" TARDIS console room. (And, yes, I know the console wasn't in the TARDIS, but it looks funny in the pictures.)

JamesC

Eight and Twenty One are my favourites. I'd like to see a return to that clean look.

Dandontdare

I remember HATING the Tom Baker 'victorian' control room at the time because it just wasn't sci-fi enough and didn't have the up-and-downy thing, I just thought it was silly. The Tardis is obviously capable of almost limitless changes, but in the past only changed in small ways - maybe it's some kind of Time War PTSD that made the Doctor start going for these underlit cavernous monstrosities rather than the former simple functional style

GordonR

The first underlit cavernous monstrosity was surely the Seventh Doc's gloomy gothic cathedral interior seen in the TV movie.  (Complete with crap CGI bats.).

Which predates the Time Wat.  But at least the Tardis cloister bell made sense, with that one.

Andy Lambert

Peter Davison has said he would have preferred a more underlit console room after briefly having one in "Enlightenment", pointing out it creates more atmosphere than a stark, bright room. I think he had a point, given how overlit the studios were at the time.
However, having seen a return of a white console room in Capaldi's run, it does still pull on the fond nostalgia strings and the lighting was much improved than how it was in the 1980s. Is it as visually interesting to modern audiences, though? We old-school fans make up just a part of the audience....

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 18 October, 2018, 11:18:32 AM
I remember HATING the Tom Baker 'victorian' control room at the time because it just wasn't sci-fi enough and didn't have the up-and-downy thing, I just thought it was silly. The Tardis is obviously capable of almost limitless changes, but in the past only changed in small ways - maybe it's some kind of Time War PTSD that made the Doctor start going for these underlit cavernous monstrosities rather than the former simple functional style

It's not the doctor changing the interior - it's the TARDIS herself.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Andy Lambert on 18 October, 2018, 12:27:25 PM
I think he had a point, given how overlit the studios were at the time.

Was this not simply a by-product of the way many studio scenes were shot...?

Rather than multiple takes for wide, close-up and reaction, they would simply stick three or more cameras on set and shoot once, with one camera taking in the wide, another for Doctor close-ups, a third for Companion #1, and so on. Of necessity, this meant the lighting had to be as flat and bland as possible to work with multiple cameras shooting simultaneously from different angles.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

shaolin_monkey

Does anyone remember the Baker episode when they were being chased around the endless passageways of the TARDIS? I loved that storyline, and always feel the true hugeness of the TARDIS interior has never really had a script befitting it.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 18 October, 2018, 01:44:14 PM
Does anyone remember the Baker episode when they were being chased around the endless passageways of the TARDIS? I loved that storyline, and always feel the true hugeness of the TARDIS interior has never really had a script befitting it.

Yes. Absolutely. Strangely, the TV movie was the first time I felt like the TARDIS had even come near being shown the way I always imagined it, even though I hated almost everything else about the movie...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.