Main Menu

Meg - 403 saint nicked

Started by moly, 18 December, 2018, 07:41:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moly

Got this delivered yesterday, good judge dredd but stand out has got to be lawless, also articles on wildcat and Roy of the rovers, trying to make the rest last till Christmas

Proudhuff

Got mine too, Dredd, good and improves on second reading, some subtle stuff there.

Lawless excellent and great couple of moments (gulp!)

Brit Cit Judge: a nice finish for the xmas ghost story.

Death Planet: more of the same really

No Dreddlines  and a bit about Rebellion's movie emporium in the editorial.
DDT did a job on me

Geoff

Love the cover! Lawless was great too.

The rest...I didn't much like.

Always good to see Goddard on Dredd but the colours didn't work well and the story was ludicrous. And with very little involvement by Dredd in it.

Not really been grabbed by the Storm Warning tale although Broxton's art is interesting if not always successful.

Blunt I don't read and I really wish the Dark Judges would be laid to rest.

Fortunately the prog is very strong at the moment. The combi sub is safe for now but I hope there's more and better Dredd to come in 2019.

Bolt-01

Well done to Matt Soffe on his transformation into a droid. Hope to see more colours from him as time goes by.

Freddychopper

Mighty Xmas issue of the Megazine with a cracking Cliff Robinson festive cover.
I enjoyed the Dredd (always like Goddard's art) but that bottle in the eye! Ouch! That's an image that'll stick with me over my Christmas pud!
Storm Warning winds up in a solid satisfying way. It's had a nice spooky feel to this short series and I've been pretty impressed with it throughout.
I'm old enough to remember Roy of the Rovers and the article was a nice touch.Not too convinced on the reboot, though. Has the old stuff ever been collected?
Turbo Jones? Classic
Will read Blunt & Lawless later with a cuppa
Blown away with this month's Dark Judges Torture Garden. Fantastic design and detailed art from Percival. We get to see the Torture Garden for the first time and it's a gruseome twisted place with some stunning grotesque imagery but strangley beautiful feel with the colour palette he uses. I also love this take on Judge Death. Getting more of an insight into what makes him tick - he's still a dark killing machine but nice to see some twisted intelligence there as well. It's a nice new direction for them and keeps things fresh and interesting.
So, top marks from me so far!
As a side note. Anyone else not been getting their prints with the subs copy? Have they now stopped doing them? I've not ahd one for 2 issues...:(

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Freddychopper

Geoff

Yes, mine came too, it's a good-un. I've been putting it up round the house disguised amongst the other xmas decorations, it keeps finding it's way back to my comics room though, funny that...

broodblik

again a very good Meg this month with Lawless taking numero uno position.  Lawless is one of those strips that needs to be mandatory for any comic lover.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

gameluvah

Quote from: broodblik on 19 December, 2018, 12:28:01 PM
again a very good Meg this month with Lawless taking numero uno position.  Lawless is one of those strips that needs to be mandatory for any comic lover.

It truly does. As good as it has always been this arc is just liquid fire. From the gorgeous artwork to Abnett works those stroy beats hard, this is a master class in storytelling and character development. And is it just me [spoiler]or did we just just come full circle back around to Insurrection?[/spoiler]

Powerful stuff that makes the month long wait for a new meg true torture.

broodblik

That last page of Lawless pure brilliance. It reminds me of a classic cover:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Decent Meg if not quite up to the standards of late.

Any comic will be elevated by Lawless and while this is near perfect comics its not quite as good as some episodes.

Storm Warning lands its ending well and has been a visual treat.

Similarly Torture Garden is a thrill I really enjoy but as it gets closer to the Dark Judges the more we are reminded they have become panto. While they were horrific killing machine on the edge of things they were working soooo much better. Still its pretty good.

Blunt continues to shine for me - its exciting, there's much going on and while I'm not Boo Cooks biggest fan his art serves this story well.

I found the Dredd a little frustrating. It was kinda cool having a crime Dredd didn't crack... or it would have been if I didn't keeping thinking of ways he should have cracked it. I mean it starts with the party and the fact he says lets get the tapes rather than interviewing the party goes one at a time to see what they know and even if they don't crack about the bottle make it clear they will reveal something else until someone speaks up... easy and more typically Dredd... anyway a nice try poorly executed for me.

So must of the thrill have a down turn to one degree or another woth Blunt and Storm Warning the exceptions. Great text articles BUT the floppie really does do my head in. I get the feeling that there was plans to use more of the Treasury material to fill these and that would have been great? Maybe they are selling well and so they are being cautious about what to burn through... maybe getting to stuff worth reprinting is taking longer than planned... Or maybe I'm wrong? BUT some recent floppies have felt like a bit of a panic - others have been superb - this one with thrill between 2 and 4 years old only just annoyed me. I mean most folks will own this stuff right?

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 20 December, 2018, 08:52:56 PM
Great text articles BUT the floppie really does do my head in. I get the feeling that there was plans to use more of the Treasury material to fill these and that would have been great? Maybe they are selling well and so they are being cautious about what to burn through... maybe getting to stuff worth reprinting is taking longer than planned... Or maybe I'm wrong? BUT some recent floppies have felt like a bit of a panic - others have been superb - this one with thrill between 2 and 4 years old only just annoyed me. I mean most folks will own this stuff right?

Yes, I am also disappointed about the recent floppies. I do not like the fact that lot of the material has been published quite recently. I am still waiting for "Mind Wars" which was promised awhile ago.

sheridan

Quote from: broodblik on 19 December, 2018, 03:03:10 PM
That last page of Lawless pure brilliance. It reminds me of a classic cover:

I'm thinking of an earlier centre spread...