Main Menu

2000AD Villains Takeover Special

Started by Tarantino, 23 April, 2019, 10:12:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

By the way - other droids / ex-droids signing in Central London * are Si Spurrier, Mark Buckingham and Al Ewing.

* Sorry, Rogue Judge!

Magnetica

I thought the Stix tale was great. I can't think of a better choice for Strontium Dog universe tales than Chris Weston from here on in.

The rest of the stories didn't do much for me. The Brass and Bland strip started strongly but as per the comment above the ending wasn't clear. I also thought the Terror Tale wasn't clear - what happened to the nuns? Maybe I'm just being thick.

I have never noticed who letters which strip. I guess it is one of those things where you don't notice it when it is done well. However when it distracts from the story and you have to read it again to get the follow of the sentence, then it jars. As others have said there were unfortunately some instances in the special where it could have flowed better.

Great cover.

Greg M.

This is inordinately sad and pernickety of me, but it bugged me that the strip was called 'Brass and Bland' instead of 'Bland and Brass' (or, indeed, 'Bland & Brass'.) The latter just rolls off the tongue better... and it's what's on their business cards.

Hawkmumbler

I assume the Villains Takeover Special will be available on the app?

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

The art in this is astonishingly good.

Have we seen Henrik Sahlstrom and Kyle Hotz in 2000AD before? I feel like we have, but my memory is terrible. Anyway, more of this in the prog please.

Trout

This comic was all sorts of fun.  :)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 03 May, 2019, 01:52:06 PM
This is inordinately sad and pernickety of me, but it bugged me that the strip was called 'Brass and Bland' instead of 'Bland and Brass' (or, indeed, 'Bland & Brass'.) The latter just rolls off the tongue better... and it's what's on their business cards.

Yeah that really irked me I have to say... which I accept is silly, but boy did it.

Thought this was okay. Well for 99p it was of course exceptional value but nothing blow me away, everything was fine, but nowt was great.

The Death story was a cute, Dredd is a bit like Death story. Brass and Bland a decent Future Shock. I'm not Kyle Hotz's biggest fan, but the stuff he's been doing for Rebellion of late is his best, but Slaine was a little by the numbers. As was Stix, though it looked just lovely. Decnt Terror Tale, again drawn up a storm.

So yeah looked great, all the stories were fine and at 99p an absolute bargain.

DrJomster

I thought this was great! I agree that the art was just top notch. And actually so were the scripts and lettering. As people have said above, that was a top quality special, particularly given the price. If I didn't subscribe already, I would after this.

Strontium Dog was very nicely done, plus the back page tribute was a good'un.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Sinx

Strontium Dog story was probably the standout for me, awesome art and cool story making Tyrus Stix look like a master criminal strategist (until the end  :lol:). A real tribute to Carlos is the way that Weston didn't deviate far at all on how Carlos used to draw Johnny Alpha facially.
Kyle Hotz on Slaine was just a perfect match up artwise, a real treat and brought back memories of the black and white art from the eighties by the many great artists who drew it back then.
There really wasn't a weak moment in this issue an at 99p you just can't complain!

I got this signed at FP London too which was cool  :thumbsup:

Dandontdare

An excellent publication all round, enjoyed all the stories and some great art - would have preferred this to replace the weekly prog rather than the kiddy special.

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 23 April, 2019, 11:07:28 AM

I spoke to Mr Staples while he was catching his breath in between signing all the Burdis progs and asked him how long this cover took him. He said he did it in one day.  :o

broodblik

This is just awesome, the back page in colour:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

Well,  I've just bought this and liked it a lot.  Cyber-Matt shows he can write the Dog pitch-perfect as well as Dredd, and I really liked the Death story too. Love the Carlos tribute.  By the way who's that in the middle in the back row? Thought it was either Eazy or Koburn till I realised they were already there.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

AlexF

Sadly I can't pick out that mystery Coburnesque character at the back - I'm guessing one of the crew of the Rat Pack or perhaps the fellows who accompany Bloody Mary?

Overall I agree with Bolt - the whole package was maybe one edit away from being up to Prog standard, but the whole thing was saved for sure by stellar artwork.