Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

I'm not sure if it went over my head or there's no connection, but reading Steve Mac's autobio, the whole grading of employees seems a lot like the categorising of droids in Robohunter.

Also wonder if the typewriter incident inspired Alec Trench?

norton canes

From the intro to Slaine, in the prog before the strip started:

"At the age of 12 he had his first warp-spasm. At the age of 16 he learned the secret of the mound."

I'm not sure if this counts as something that went over my head at the time, or something I'm just reading too much into now.

sheridan

Quote from: norton canes on 12 September, 2016, 02:34:29 PM
From the intro to Slaine, in the prog before the strip started:

"At the age of 12 he had his first warp-spasm. At the age of 16 he learned the secret of the mound."

I'm not sure if this counts as something that went over my head at the time, or something I'm just reading too much into now.
The secret of the mound is from when he was chained up in the mound on midsummer's day (I think - don't have my copies to hand right now).

Rio De Fideldo

It took me years to notice that the Resyk building is shaped like a coffin. I just thought it was a futuristic shape that McMahon had come up with.

sheridan

Quote from: Rio De Fideldo on 12 September, 2016, 03:21:59 PM
It took me years to notice that the Resyk building is shaped like a coffin. I just thought it was a futuristic shape that McMahon had come up with.
I don't remember when I noticed that, but it was quite a way down the line :-)

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 12 September, 2016, 03:58:04 PM

Feck. I honestly never noticed till now.

Also, I've just realised V (as in Vendetta) doesn't just signify V's cell number but also the 5th of November.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 07 October, 2016, 06:17:23 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 12 September, 2016, 03:58:04 PM

Feck. I honestly never noticed till now.

Also, I've just realised V (as in Vendetta) doesn't just signify V's cell number but also the 5th of November.

And Evie.

The Enigmatic Dr X

It was years before I realised "Resyk" was pronounced re-psych and was short for re-cycling.

I always pronounced "Ressk".
Lock up your spoons!

malkymac

Way back in I think the original return of Rico story, the department that checks out all the new born sprogs is called 'birth control'.

something my 10 year old self had obviously never heard of at the time.

JayzusB.Christ

A lesser writer would have gone for the more obvious joke.  But Wagner and / or Grant add an extra layer.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Theblazeuk

Rob Schneider was Fergee?!?!

Hurr-hurr-*SOB*

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 17 October, 2016, 03:37:58 PM
Rob Schneider was Fergee?!?!

Hurr-hurr-*SOB*

Nope, Fergie - it's spelt and pronounced differently (at least in my head, it's always been Fer-GEE not Fer-gey).

Although I admit that until recently I never realised that Junior Angel was Spud off of Trainspotting.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Theblazeuk

So... you think it's just coincidence? I think that was it - Dredd's non-judge sidekick, Fergee...

I, Cosh

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 16 October, 2016, 01:07:44 PM
A lesser writer would have gone for the more obvious joke.  But Wagner and / or Grant add an extra layer.

I must be thick. What joke am I missing in that panel?
We never really die.

Tjm86

Id've thought the standard response was "love a duck" which has been shifted to "lay a brick" which is a distortion of what ducks do.  Can't remember but wasn't Vera's Dad a builder?

Course I could be completely wrong. ::)