Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Seven earthquakes now.
Seven earthquakes striking the area of the UK that began fracking operations less than a week ago and we're just stumped - stumped - as to why this might be happening.
Why are we redefining "earthquakes"?  Oh, no reason.

The Legendary Shark

Particularly worrying for me as it's practically on my doorstep, just on the other side of the Ribble. I haven't felt any of these recent quakes but I did feel the one a few years ago that shut the fraccing down for a bit. Indeed, they've drilled in fields within walking distance of where I live. Although these wells are shut down at the moment there's worry locally that they'll soon be back in business.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Quote from: Dandontdare on 23 October, 2018, 11:08:00 PM
Haven't you heard? We don't have to worry about those because they're going to redefine them so they won't be dangerous, progress-impeding earthquakes any more.

oops, linked wrong: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/09/uk-fracking-rules-on-earthquakes-could-be-relaxed-says-minister

JayzusB.Christ

Plenty more fracking fun to look forward to after next March, ma leetle Breeteesh churms.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

Just yer Eengleesh choms - Scots and Welsh banned eet already, I theenk.

Until they're told to un-ban it, I guess.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

CalHab

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 25 October, 2018, 07:01:48 AM

Just yer Eengleesh choms - Scots and Welsh banned eet already, I theenk.

Until they're told to un-ban it, I guess.

The Scottish government hasn't banned it, they've just said that it is under a "moratorium" for review for an unspecified period. I suspect this is a mechanism to avoid them having to deal with a legal challenge.

The Legendary Shark

I stand corrected. Let's hope you can keep fraccing out for good, though.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

18 hours. Jeez. Maybe if Blackpool falls into the sea they might just stop it altogether.

Odd how the BGS recorded the event, presumably with its own equipment, but the fraccing spokesman mentions the sensitivity of Cuadrilla's equipment - almost as if trying to take credit for the detection. Or is my cynicism showing again?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Somewhere called Little Plumpton should be the site of a 70s kids show, not an earthquake.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Frackle Rock. 

Waking this morning with that sense of pride that comes from re-electing a warm and fearless poet President of Ireland and binning the basis of a blasphemy law, and then feeling suddenly sick that a fifth of the country voted for a reality TV businessman solely because they were openly proud to be a racist.

Next constitutional amendment we vote on should be to add the right to freely kick the mickey of anyone who claims to be "brave enough to say what everyone else is thinking".

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 October, 2018, 08:49:25 AM
Waking this morning with that sense of pride that comes from re-electing a warm and fearless poet President of Ireland and binning the basis of a blasphemy law, and then feeling suddenly sick that a fifth of the country voted for a reality TV businessman solely because they were openly proud to be a racist

You could have devoured all UK news media for the last month and not known any of that was happening. Explains 1916, 1968 and the current forehead-slapping regarding the border after Brexit*

Can't blame folk for voting for someone they recognise from the telly, though:

* The island of Ireland is the UK's car keys

JayzusB.Christ

It is rather depressing to see so many votes for a bigoted shitbag, but I suppose it is worth remembering that he was over 30% behind all-round good guy Michael D.

And that the ridiculous blasphemy law is gone - three good referendum results in a row. Eat our dust, Vatican.

JOE SOAP

Say what you want but he kept the beaches open.