Main Menu

Lack of love for the bundled "floppies"?

Started by sheldipez, 18 December, 2012, 12:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Did a bit of searching and found a single Cal-Hab Justice story has been reproduced in floppie format. I'm quite keen to look into the series so is it worth asking if the entire run will see reprint?

Frank

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 02 April, 2013, 10:50:43 AM
Did a bit of searching and found a single Cal-Hab Justice story has been reproduced in floppie format. I'm quite keen to look into the series so is it worth asking if the entire run will see reprint?

I don't remember it being any good, but if there's one thing this forum's taught me it's that Cal-Hab Justice will be someone's very favourite story of all time. It started off as a whimsical judge from another country story (what if Billy Connolly was a judge?) with nice John Ridgeway art, then turned into some kind of odd psychic drama about corruption, with art which was an acquired taste. Maybe I'm just being over-critical because it was Scottish, but it's one of the few stories I can remember starting to skip without reading.

Goosegash

I like the idea of them, but not a huge fan of the format. They always feel a little too...flimsy. When I first heard the Megazine was going to come with a free mini GN every month, I really hoped they'd have proper card covers, like real GNs, but I guess that would've push the price of the Meg up beyond acceptable levels. The Extreme Editions kind of had the same problem, but at least with those they had the benefit of being able to reprint the art at a decent size.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: sauchie on 02 April, 2013, 06:23:41 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 02 April, 2013, 10:50:43 AM

I don't remember it being any good, but if there's one thing this forum's taught me it's that Cal-Hab Justice will be someone's very favourite story of all time. It started off as a whimsical judge from another country story (what if Billy Connolly was a judge?) with nice John Ridgeway art, then turned into some kind of odd psychic drama about corruption, with art which was an acquired taste. Maybe I'm just being over-critical because it was Scottish, but it's one of the few stories I can remember starting to skip without reading.
I do like the sound of it and have a thing for shorter lived and less well known Dredd world titles. Also, heratige is kinda obscuring my thoughts and I might think the concept is pish. Regardless i'd still give it a shot.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 16 February, 2013, 03:47:05 PM
I've just read the second part of Disaster 1990. It is be no measure what you could possibly call 'good comics', but by Drokk it's entertaining.

Sorry, jus t catching up on this thread.

This quote is what the floppies are for if you are an old timer like me. I remember these stories the first time around and my seven year old self loved them.  I know they are not good by today's standards, same way that the original battle star galactica or knight rider are now rubbish.  But I loved them when I were a kid.

As a bonus, if you've never read them then they are a nostalgic info-blast of 2000ad history.

And they keep the Meg viable.

All in all, everyone is a winner.
Lock up your spoons!

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 02 April, 2013, 08:10:47 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 16 February, 2013, 03:47:05 PM
I've just read the second part of Disaster 1990. It is be no measure what you could possibly call 'good comics', but by Drokk it's entertaining.

Sorry, jus t catching up on this thread.

This quote is what the floppies are for if you are an old timer like me. I remember these stories the first time around and my seven year old self loved them.  I know they are not good by today's standards, same way that the original battle star galactica or knight rider are now rubbish.  But I loved them when I were a kid.

As a bonus, if you've never read them then they are a nostalgic info-blast of 2000ad history.

And they keep the Meg viable.

All in all, everyone is a winner.

I'd agree except that Downlode tales seems a drop in class from Invasion 1990
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Proudhuff on 16 April, 2013, 12:48:20 PM

YOU WHAT, I SAY, I SAY YOU WHAT I'll COME UP THERE AND DISASTER 1990 YOUR ASS WITH THAT KINDA TALK PROUDHUFF...

... and breathe....

Proudhuff

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 16 April, 2013, 03:46:50 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 16 April, 2013, 12:48:20 PM

YOU WHAT, I SAY, I SAY YOU WHAT I'll COME UP THERE AND DISASTER 1990 YOUR ASS WITH THAT KINDA TALK PROUDHUFF...

... and breathe....

Comeaway in, you'll of had yer tea?!
DDT did a job on me

Skullmo

Oh yes!!! I see the zero stories are coming to the floppy soon - I remember loving these!
It's a joke. I was joking.

michael kennedy

they need something to justify the price tag.

although i have been enjoying the downlode stories.
which excel whats on offer

Link Prime

Quote from: Skullmo on 15 May, 2013, 01:55:37 AM
Oh yes!!! I see the zero stories are coming to the floppy soon - I remember loving these!

As did I.
I wonder if they'll hold up on a re-read 20 odd years later though  :-\

Mabs

What are the zero stories if you don't mind me saying? Was it something in the mould of Tharg's 3riller and Futureshock?  :-*
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Recrewt

That last downlode tales had me laughing my arse off!

It seems to me with each Meg I look at the floppy and think - meh, leave it a week or so and then sit down and read it and I really enjoy it.  I have particularly enjoyed the last couple of downlodes and ahab.

Skullmo

Quote from: Mabs on 15 May, 2013, 01:00:38 PM

What are the zero stories if you don't mind me saying? Was it something in the mould of Tharg's 3riller and Futureshock?  :-*

Night Zero:
"Night Zero" (in 2000 AD #607-616, December 1988 - March 1989)
"Beyond Zero" (in 2000 AD #630-634, 645-649 and 665-666, June 1989 - February 1990)
"Lost in Zero" (in 2000 AD Annual 1991, September 1990)
"Below Zero" (in 2000 AD #731-745, May–August 1991)

From memory it was a really well written SF series. I really enjoyed reading them first time around and have been waiting for a reprint!

http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=thrill&page=profiles&choice=tanner
It's a joke. I was joking.

Mabs

My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie