Main Menu

Tharg

Started by BMCCOLL, 08 March, 2018, 10:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

I bet you pronounce that as nice and not how it should be nice.

DDT did a job on me

abelardsnazz

I've always said Kim Basinger. Have I been wrong all these years?

I'll still say prog, no matter what.

credo

Quote from: Link Prime on 09 March, 2018, 11:44:38 AM
This thread is giving me a headache- need a cuppa tea and a Nice biscuit.

What about a scone?

TordelBack

Like Slough Feg says, these are words that are pleasing to me, and he's Celtic, so either route will do.

Modern Panther

It's "Bowie"... As in "Bowie".

The Enigmatic Dr X

Some people pronounce "Rouge" as "Rogue", you know.
Lock up your spoons!

BMCCOLL

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 March, 2018, 09:36:23 AM
I bet you pronounce GIF as 'jif', don't you...?

The 'f' is silent... isn't it?

BMCCOLL

Quote from: credo on 09 March, 2018, 01:48:13 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 09 March, 2018, 11:44:38 AM
This thread is giving me a headache- need a cuppa tea and a Nice biscuit.

What about a scone?

The ad in Still Game... s'gone

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: BMCCOLL on 08 March, 2018, 10:16:53 PM
New on this but long in the tooth! Is Tharg actually pronounced Tharg? I'm listening to the podcast and how Americans pronounce differently from Brits, Eyeraq for Iraq etc. I've been away for a long time so this may probably have been covered! So... is Tharg possibly pronounced Thaerg, is the g possibly silent, is the h silent! Has anyone actually heard Tharg speak???  :D

I think I mispronounced Gerry Finely-Day's name for the first 40 or so episodes! With a hard G, like Garry Shandling, instead of a soft g, like Jerry Seinfeld. I also always pronounce color without a u, and tire without a y, because god bless the USA! :D
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 10 March, 2018, 05:39:09 PM
Quote from: BMCCOLL on 08 March, 2018, 10:16:53 PM
New on this but long in the tooth! Is Tharg actually pronounced Tharg? I'm listening to the podcast and how Americans pronounce differently from Brits, Eyeraq for Iraq etc. I've been away for a long time so this may probably have been covered! So... is Tharg possibly pronounced Thaerg, is the g possibly silent, is the h silent! Has anyone actually heard Tharg speak???  :D

I think I mispronounced Gerry Finely-Day's name for the first 40 or so episodes! With a hard G, like Garry Shandling, instead of a soft g, like Jerry Seinfeld. I also always pronounce color without a u, and tire without a y, because god bless the USA! :D

Vaguely interesting fact - there's a 'u' in words like 'guest' and 'vogue' because a 'g' followed by the vowels 'i' and 'e' is nearly always a soft g - see 'gene', 'agitate' and 'geriatric' compared to 'gust', 'vagabond' and 'tongue'.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Blue Cactus

I am a fan of this thread.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 10 March, 2018, 07:21:05 PM

Arh but is that fan or fan... oh yeah right that was doesn't work does it...

BMCCOLL

Quote from: M.I.K. on 08 March, 2018, 11:38:41 PM
For future reference...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsu3aVyy9l8

I can honestly say I have never seen this ad. Then again at the time our (black and white) TV was probably broke and away getting fixed at Radio Rentals! If I had seen it I probably wouldn't have bought the comic! Tharg (or Thaerg, Harg or Targ) sounded a bit like the man about town. Something for the weekend, sir?

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YArq_aX8w1w

Never seen this either! Probably because I was escaping into the kitchen to get away from the bedlam created by the weans in the living room!

Tjm86

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 10 March, 2018, 08:54:48 PM
Quote from: Blue Cactus on 10 March, 2018, 07:21:05 PM

Arh but is that fan or fan... oh yeah right that was doesn't work does it...

neither does the Queen.

Dash Decent

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.