Main Menu

Dredd:Blu Ray review

Started by chuffsteruk, 18 December, 2012, 09:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MR. ELIMINATOR

It would be cool if the Alex Garland and Karl Urban did a downloadable commentary track or something that can be played in sync with the movie. It really annoys me how lazy all the promotion/extras have been as the people who actually made the film were clearly very passionate about it. As are the fans of the film and if we aren't going to get a sequel there should at least be as much behind the scenes, makings of etc. as possible.

Keef Monkey

Anyone notice the blood doesn't leave the frame on the blu-ray the way it did in cinemas? I know it was probably done to enhance the 3D effect (and worked a treat) but wouldn't have thought there'd be any harm in keeping it in.

Spikes

And now bought! And just watched the opening five minutes before tea.
Looks pretty darn good!
Id tried HMV yesterday to no avail. Tesco had sold out today, but managed to snag the 2nd to last BR in Sainsburys.
£12.99. Not bad price. Is that what people are roughly getting theirs for?

Hegel

Finally seen this thanks to my postie and I like it.

It was wise to do such a simple story and if there is a sequel (everything is crossed for that) I hope they get a bit more ambitious with the storyline and show off more of the richness of the world, the politics, and the villians while keeping the vibe that has now been struck.

I wasn't sold on everything, but I'm not here to bash it because overall it gets a big thumbs up.

Some general thoughts. Slightly spoilerish.
It was much more violent than I expected (having avoided nearly every article or spoiler on the film) but it needed to be hard hitting. I was sceptical about the Anderson actress but she pulled it off, striking a believeable junxtaposition between looking young/vulnerable and being dour/serious/tough. The city was less advanced than that of the comics (normal style cars etc) - I'm guessing that was due to budget constraints. Lots of nice little touches such as the shop signs and graffiti peppered around the place. The helmet didn't look as stupid as it did on one of the only stills I had seen about a year ago - phew. Karl Urban was okay. It must be hard to dazzle as an actor in a role such as this, but I do feel that any number of people could have done just as good a job. Peach Trees was an awsome location but it failed to convince me that 75 thousand people lived there (I hope I heard that stat right when it was mentioned) - it just didn't have the scale, even with a tiny skate park sticking out the side.....

Overall very good. More please.

Michaelvk

Regarding the scale.. Alex (Garland..) said that they did have lots more megablocks in there, but you lost a sense of scale.. By having them a bit more dispersed you could see the contrast between the 'normal' buildings and the megs, getting an immediate feeling of how big they actually are..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

strontium71

Is that string on the stun ball grenade? I can see it a lot clearer now and didn't notice it before.
...because I hate you.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Michaelvk on 15 January, 2013, 06:12:29 PM
Regarding the scale.. Alex (Garland..) said that they did have lots more megablocks in there, but you lost a sense of scale.. By having them a bit more dispersed you could see the contrast between the 'normal' buildings and the megs, getting an immediate feeling of how big they actually are..

That's it, you can see the clutter effect in this early concept, there's just too much:

I was never fond of this either:

I prefer a bit of uniformity among the variation, not just fuck everything in.

radiator

What this version of Dredd really did well is that it took one aspect of the city - the uniquely Dredd-ian concept of the City Blocks/Mega Blocks - and it really sold that one concept excellently.

There are a few shots in Dredd '95 - the wide shots of the city - that really betray this amazing epic the filmmakers intended to make - but outside of that it looks like generic central. It never really feels particularly like Mega City One to me.

Michaelvk

Quote from: strontium71 on 15 January, 2013, 06:17:15 PM
Is that string on the stun ball grenade? I can see it a lot clearer now and didn't notice it before.

antenna, possibly for detonate on demand..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Michaelvk on 15 January, 2013, 07:03:11 PM
Quote from: strontium71 on 15 January, 2013, 06:17:15 PM

antenna, possibly for detonate on demand..

I thought they were legs for positioning.

Stan

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 15 January, 2013, 03:07:57 PM
It would be cool if the Alex Garland and Karl Urban did a downloadable commentary track or something that can be played in sync with the movie. It really annoys me how lazy all the promotion/extras have been as the people who actually made the film were clearly very passionate about it. As are the fans of the film and if we aren't going to get a sequel there should at least be as much behind the scenes, makings of etc. as possible.

The lack of commentary is quite disappointing because this film is perfect for it (from mine, and I suspect, many fan's perspectives). Though after randomly picking up a few DVDs I notice my copy of Prometheus only has six deleted scenes and Prince of Persia only has a single documentary. I find the lack of extras to be quite common with standard DVDs.

Plus I don't ordinarily follow films as closely as I have with Dredd or Transformers so even sparse bonus features are usually new to me.

Fisticuffs

Got mine today, immediately sat down and watched it when I got home! Still as awesome as the previous 5 times, although a slight niggle about the grainyness of some scenes, I'm positive it wasn't there in the cinema, and is really noticeable when you switch straight from a dark grainy scene to a pin-sharp brightly lit scene.

Still great though. :D

golledge100

I'm gutted. Got mine today and have spent 3 hours so far pulling and adjusted leads here there and everywhere as it won't work on my ps3. Neither in 2d or 3d. Anyone own a ps3 and had a similar problem?

Goaty

BluRay fine on my PS3.
Maybe you could hold down the power button on PS3 till you hear the bleep, that would changes the settings to your monitor.

Keef Monkey

I played mine on PS3 and it was fine, do other blu-rays play on it ok? Could be the display settings on your console.