Main Menu

Prog 2150 - You want Thrills, Earthlets?

Started by Leigh S, 23 September, 2019, 08:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Yes I do!

And Dredd delivers in spades - I am intrigued by what Hershey is up to [spoiler]FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE![/spoiler].  Sad, funny and setting up so much anticipation for where this might go

Brink take us elsewhere, and very glad to have this back - beautiful comics

The Anderson story is a bit generic jump on prog - exactly what you'd expect from a Judge Anderson bingo tale - not badly told, Jake Lynch is always interesting on the eye, but no surprises

Leaving Deadworld and Defoe for later, but Defoe art from SK Moore looks like it could become something special, though hard to tell where it will go long term - I'll be interested in how his style develops but a strong enough start in terms of potential

TordelBack

Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 23 September, 2019, 08:53:34 PM
Joseph Michael Linsner cover.

It's skilled work, but it's not for me.  Maybe on the Mad Magazine Dredd parody issue?

Leigh S

I've commented elsewhere about the cover, but just noticed Dredd appears to have  a broken neck or owl DNA!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Weather control is on the blink, then. It's a bit chilly.

Anyhow, just read Dredd and SinDex. Loved both.
Lock up your spoons!

ZenArcade

Joy of joys: Will Simpson back after ever so many years away.  Fantastic stuff!!  Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

TordelBack

Quote from: ZenArcade on 24 September, 2019, 09:28:33 AM
Joy of joys: Will Simpson back after ever so many years away.  Fantastic stuff!!  Z

No way!  Can't wait for tomorrow!

IronGraham

[spoiler]What a powerful and emotional sendoff for Hershey up their with McGrudders[/spoiler]
We're werewolves not swearwolves

ZenArcade

The Magazine on Dredd's Lawgiver is way off on that cover image also.  Unless it is meant to stick out from the side of the weapon....just sayin.  Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Tjm86

Well, it finally arrived.  Worth the wait, cover notwithstanding.  Plenty to savour but I'm not sure yet about the latest series of Defoe.  Granted any new artist has insanely big shoes to fill so I'll reserve full judgement.  Couple of nice one shots (can I quibble over the advertisement on the twitter thread that talks about Sinister Dexter as the start of a new series ...) and an intriguing FS (which regrettably pales compared to the one last week even with Simpson's artwork).  Lynch's artwork on Anderson is so far from his early work on Orlok and so much improved and Yeowil as ever delivers in spades.

The real treat is definitely Dredd though.  Lots of food for thought, mysteries laid out that may or may not be resolved across the course of the tale and sumptuous artwork.  Tensions over the role of mech's seems to be an evolving theme at present.  Looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Oh, and the news of that subscriber offer ....

IndigoPrime

The cover's no better in the flesh. Dredd is great and a real tear-jerker unless you are dead inside. Sin/Dex is a weird one (feels like an epilogue that would have been better an issue earlier). One-off Anderson is solid and fun. Decent Future Shock. MOAR BRINK! HURRAH! Deadworld... not yet convinced on the East-Meg thing, despite loving the series prior to that point. Defoe art looked lovely. Subs deal: interesting. (Also: small print suggests existing subscribers will once again get all the goodies, showcasing that Rebellion aren't like other publishers when it comes to their readers.)

Geoff

Will Simpson in the prog and that wonderfully written and illustrated Dredd are almost enough to allow you to overlook that revolting cover...almost.

dweezil2

I actually like the cover and think it will stand out nicely on the shelf, that Lawgiver's magazine is an odd one though!  :o
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

73north

I read the Prog only today ( I was away from home working ) and it was very good
I loved the Dredd - Guatemala part 1 , its an interesting new story from John Wagner
plus  also enjoyed the new Defoe series and the artwork was good - and promises to be a fun read-
I also loved the Future Shock and above all , the new Fall of Deadwork was just magical , with superb
art from Dave Kendall - I also liked sinister dexter - looking forward to its return soon
Hope and Brink were a couple of new story arcs that should get better hopefully soon -
both were average and slow burners .
overall 4 out of 5 prog

Jacqusie

Quote from: Geoff on 24 September, 2019, 06:56:57 PM
Will Simpson in the prog and that wonderfully written and illustrated Dredd are almost enough to allow you to overlook that revolting cover...almost.

Indeed, the Dredd story reminds me of why I've stuck with 2000AD through it's sheer quality of the creative team and the prosaic story line where all things end and change. With stories like Absalom and Stickleback ending amongst others of this ilk, there's not much I get excited about these days in what is at times a pretty mediocre prog.

That cover really isn't a very good idea is it? and there are more than a few of those about these days sadly... Dredd looks like he's constipated and we are still in crap Anderson land... Nice eyeshadow Cass...