Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Lee Bates on 10 October, 2011, 12:18:31 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 10 October, 2011, 12:08:09 PM
Quote from: Anderson's Shame on 10 October, 2011, 11:40:43 AM

I'm not going to make  up my mind until I see some solid evidence i.e a trailer...

Hey! We'll have less if that logical, reasoned and common sense approach around here, thank you very much!

We're all doomed I tell you! DOOOOOOOOMED!!!
That's more like it!

radiator

Interesting to note that Empire have still yet to report the news...

Are they deliberately avoiding it as to not piss off Macdonald and co (who they seem to be on good terms with) or to save face following their big exclusive?

Or are they waiting on an official response from the producers, put out something proper rather than just rehash some rumours? I'm keeping my eyes on the site in any case...

GordonR

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 10 October, 2011, 12:08:09 PM
Quote from: Anderson's Shame on 10 October, 2011, 11:40:43 AM

I'm not going to make  up my mind until I see some solid evidence i.e a trailer...

Hey! We'll have less if that logical, reasoned and common sense approach around here, thank you very much!

But he forgot to mention Star Wars (none of the cast understood the script, and the early special effects were a disaster), Jaws (the robot shark didn't work, and shooting went months over-schedule), Aliens (Cameron and his British crew developed a strong relationship of mutual loathing) and The Godfather (the studio came close several times to firing Coppolla off the movie).

There is also a far larger and considerably more ignominious list of films that parted company with their directors well into production, and suffered accordingly.

Which is Dredd? I guess we'll find out next year, but my point was that it's fairly idiotic to try and spin what's happened as a Good Thing, when it's quite clearly not.

GordonR

Quote from: radiator on 10 October, 2011, 12:31:12 PM
Interesting to note that Empire have still yet to report the news...

Are they deliberately avoiding it as to not piss off Macdonald and co (who they seem to be on good terms with) or to save face following their big exclusive?

Or are they waiting on an official response from the producers, put out something proper rather than just rehash some rumours? I'm keeping my eyes on the site in any case...

The LA Times Hollywood section seems to have been the first reputable source to run the story.

In journalistic terms, LA Times > Empire.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2011/10/director-drama-heats-up-on-dredd.html

Buddy

I think it's now pretty clear as to why the film has such a late release date.

I never did believe the official line of 'waiting for the right time to release'... that's all well and good but to wait almost 18 months after the film finished shooting is taking the piss.

As I said at the time, if a studio is putting back the release date of a film 9 times outta 10 it's because they are not happy with what they have got and re shoots/re writes are required to 'fix' it.

No studio shelves a film when it could be out there making money. Especially with the ever increasing fall out with 3D, leaving the Dredd release date until late next year could further decrease the films popularity in the cinema.

This film needs released as soon as possible, fix what needs to be fixed and get it out there.

Lets hope they do manage to fix it and it doesn't go straight to DVD.

James Stacey

maybe Garland didn't like the more near future take of Travis and wanted more flying cars put in. The extra time is needed in FX to spice it up a bit..
we can hope :)

IAMTHESYSTEM

There will be no flying Cars in this DREDD movie. Too expensive and it's the early DREDD when Justice Department has just been established so it's not to far from where we are today. Bikes, Cars will be firmly grounded.

Grounded appears to be the fate of the Movie at this moment but let's try to look on the bright side.

They've recognized there is a problem that has led to the departure of Pete Travis. We have no idea what that problem is or was but better to find out now rather than 2 weeks before the Films release date.

That gives the Producers and Alex Garland according to some press releases just less than a year to do whatever they believe is necessary to make the Film work or make it more faithful to their idea of what DREDD is about. If it's re shoots then that's how it has to be.

Pretty depressing when it seemed to be going so well and looked very impressive from the few stills we've seen from the set. Let's hope like other Movies that seem to go all pear shaped [Casablanca was one such Film] that something worthwhile comes out of this unhappy time. 

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

James Stacey

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 10 October, 2011, 01:25:58 PM
There will be no flying Cars in this DREDD movie. Too expensive and it's the early DREDD when Justice Department has just been established so it's not to far from where we are today. Bikes, Cars will be firmly grounded.
That was kinda the point ;)

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: GordonR on 10 October, 2011, 12:43:49 PM

I guess we'll find out next year, but my point was that it's fairly idiotic to try and spin what's happened as a Good Thing, when it's quite clearly not.
[/quote]

Don't think anybody is really saying it's a good thing ,just trying to take some crumbs of comfort and any signs of hope whilst possibly watching our dreams being nuked.The producers are quality and if anybody can turn this around ,they can.I believe...!

radiator

QuoteThe LA Times Hollywood section seems to have been the first reputable source to run the story.

In journalistic terms, LA Times > Empire.

Not really sure what point you're making - I was merely pointing out that it seemed curious that Empire (probably the biggest UK movie news site out there, and one with unique links to Dredd) have yet to mention this news story and speculating why that might be.

Goaty

Quote from: radiator on 10 October, 2011, 02:17:03 PM
Not really sure what point you're making - I was merely pointing out that it seemed curious that Empire (probably the biggest UK movie news site out there, and one with unique links to Dredd) have yet to mention this news story and speculating why that might be.

Maybe in next mag? Or everythings that happens last few days was just a rumour, no Fact?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: James Stacey on 10 October, 2011, 01:06:42 PM
maybe Garland didn't like the more near future take of Travis and wanted more flying cars put in. The extra time is needed in FX to spice it up a bit..
we can hope :)

No, all the major aesthetic decisions would have been made in pre-production and part of Garland's intentions for the look.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 10 October, 2011, 02:17:03 PM
I was merely pointing out that it seemed curious that Empire (probably the biggest UK movie news site out there, and one with unique links to Dredd) have yet to mention this news story and speculating why that might be.

I don't think Empire matters a jot at this point.

GordonR

From one of the stories on the Dredd movie:

QuoteIn related news, The LA Times also reveal that Jim Sheridan requested his name be removed from the credits of flop horror Dream House. The Oscar-nominated director reportedly approached the Directors Guild of America this summer, as he was so displeased with the Daniel Craig-starring thriller. The studio, Morgan Creek, released their own edit of the film following reshoots. The film opened to poor reviews, following a baffling promo campaign which included a spoiler-filled trailer. It opens in the UK this November.

Maybe Alex Garland can put his name on the director credit for that one instead (or as well)...

Fuzzed

It seems terribly unfair to start laying blame or start badmouthing any of the people involved when all we have is a very vague report. It may be a reputable paper, but it's still vague and uncollaborated.

Once we get a statement from the folks concerned or any form of confirmation then giddyup, fire and brimstone, but until then, we really don't have a clue who to tar and feather, do we? Intelligent guessing is still guessing.

I like Garland's work. There's intelligence and humour in his scripts (and no, I haven't seen the leaked Dredd script and don't want to) so in my opinion, this alleged situation, if true, could be so much worse than him landing the directorship.