Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 February, 2020, 01:14:14 PM
Unfortunately that return to form kicks off with the misjudged Jing Jang Job, aka The Stix Fix, so the dissonance doesn't really resolve any time soon.

I know we're supposed to shake our heads in stern liberal disapproval over that one, but I genuinely liked the story and wasn't any more bothered by Wagner's (admittedly broad) lampooning of a fascist regime than I was by the appearance of Hitler in The Schicklegruber Grab (just a bit weird that it's so grounded in the present - couldn't we have had an analogous and less country-specific future version?).
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

Quotelampooning of a fascist regime
Which could be done without the more questionable elements, mind. It's not 1985 any more.

TordelBack

That, and as Jimbo says, using North Korea in a post-apocalyptic world of, what, 2200 now, is just very boring. Contrast it with last year's Guatemala which walked a fine line wrt racial stereotyping but succeded because it was about evil comedy robots: imagine El Presidente and his sickening regime were just a regular human junta in Chile or Nicaragua, complete with mustachios and toothpicks. That's The Stix Fix.

sintec

Pleasantly surprised when a parcel dropped through the letterbox yesterday with issues 63 and 64.  Oh and the 70s covers volume - which like it's predecessors is a bit of a disappointment. They'd returned to half decent cardboard packaging for this delivery which was good - no damages.

Books are great - Volgan War continues to look stunning even if the plot seems a bit confusing at times. Only just cracked open the Caballistics vol but I can tell already that I'm gonna love this one.

IndigoPrime

I'm still waiting on replacements for 61/62. Good to know card is being used again. Looks like my payment was taken on 14 Feb.

Rately

Quote from: sintec on 26 February, 2020, 11:04:45 AM
Pleasantly surprised when a parcel dropped through the letterbox yesterday with issues 63 and 64.  Oh and the 70s covers volume - which like it's predecessors is a bit of a disappointment. They'd returned to half decent cardboard packaging for this delivery which was good - no damages.

Books are great - Volgan War continues to look stunning even if the plot seems a bit confusing at times. Only just cracked open the Caballistics vol but I can tell already that I'm gonna love this one.

Yes, received same. Nice that they properly packaged it, and I've three undamaged books, which is nice.

moogie101

Got the latest delivery of 63/64, well packaged & both great looking books.

If only the customer service matched the product, as no sign of my replacement copy of 61 or the Seventies Cover book despite getting the previous three & not even receiving the opt-out letter for this one.

IndigoPrime

I didn't get the covers book, which is good (I'd stated a while back I wanted no more of them). My books arrived today in a cardboard envelope. One has minor damage I won't be asking to be replaced, but... ARGH. The previous card sleeves were great. They worked. It required actual effort to damage the books. These envelopes allow the books to slip about inside, and afford little protection against dents. Still, it beats last month's "bit of a bin bag" 'packaging', I suppose.

Jade Falcon

I did a catch up on the books that I had got but hadn't got round to reading.  The last three Slaine books, Book seven and the two Book of Invasions I quite enjoyed, not perfect, but overall very enjoyable.

Nikolai Dante was a little patchy in places, but I'd never read any of Nikolai prior to this collection and quite like him.

I've given up early on Hewligans Haircut, maybe will try again, it seems a product of its time and maybe I'm just not in the mood for it.

WIthout exaggerating, I'm in a deep depression just now, almost suicidally so and have found reading quite difficult, so its worth trying again with that some time.

Caballistics, I feel the art could be a little better but I like the references like the Doctor Who one in the initial story.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

sintec

Hewligan felt like it was trying a little to hard to be wacky at times imo. There's a really fine line to walk with this kind of crazy psychedelia and imo some parts of the volume worked better than others. For me Zaucer of Zilk was the standout; it had that crazy imagination of a Roald Dahl childrens story, the words and art just gelled perfectly and whilst being utterly bonkers it never felt forced. Can't say the same for the current tale in the prog which feels like it's trying a little too hard to re-capture the zaniness of the original but doesn't quite hit the mark.

Hope the black dog gives you a break soon Jade Falcon, never an easy visitor.

IndigoPrime

I always had a soft spot for Hewligan – it worked really nicely in the Prog at the time, and was a fun oddball romp. Zaucer in some ways feels like a spiritual successor. As for the current run, Hogan's script doesn't quite hit the same highs as Ewing's, but it's solid enough – and, frankly, it's just great to get Hogan back in the Prog at all. I'd love to see him do something more, especially now that Resident Alien's coming to an end. (Sob.)

sintec

I don't think Hewligan was served well by being surrounded by similar wacky tales (same could be said for all the stories in this volume tbh). For me it's a style that works best when it's the "something different", when it's collected together like this it can all become a bit too much. Maybe a volume best read in small chunks in between other stories.

I've been considering doing a re-read of the collection in prog order once we get to the end to try and get a feel for how these stories read originally when they were interleaved. A kind of simulated prog-slog if you will.  Of course with an extension on the horizon the end is now a way off.

Arkady

Has there been any more word on the extension, or still just that slip on the Facebook page?

IndigoPrime

Jade Falcon

So we've got a Rogue Trooper book coming up, any idea what will be in it?

Will it have Realpolitik, as in the graphic novel of that name from Rebellion as that would mean I've got a surplus for a friend. However, one of these collection book could hold a bit more, so maybe the 86ers as well?
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov