Main Menu

Ignoramus Freeview question

Started by Leigh S, 25 July, 2007, 10:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

I have freeview, rubbish reception and all.

In the analogue(sp) past, my video could tape one programme and I could watch another.  Now, I can tape a freeview programme if i leave it set to that channel, and watch the analogue signal (so basically, BBC1 to channel 5).

When they switch off my analogue signal, my video will only be any good for taping things when i'm out, rather than when theres a clash of two good programmes (not very often granted, but it happens).

So, have I wired up my video stupidly, or is Freeview not only a more patchy reception, but also more limited video wise?

philt

Easy way round this is to buy a recorder that has a built in freeview tuner. It's only because VCR's have built in tuners that you can record one channel while viewing another.

Granted you'd think this was a "miracle" the way sky plug the Sky+ "Gasp as you can record one channel while watching another one at the SAME TIME...."

Truly we live in a time of wonders

IndigoPrime

Leigh S

cool - Glad it isnt me then.... but sad to see that it looks like even more cost to keep up with the digital "revolution"... ghrrrr!

So, unless you're prepared to shell out again, it's no go once they switch off my beloved analogue, which is as i suspected - pity the poor grannies - pity the poor watcher!  The PVR thing looks interesting  - cant see anyhting on the site about a price though.

If this is anything to do with freeing up space for bastard mobile phones, I may have to go on a kill spree!

Leigh S

Erk - just found out a price - not for the grannies or Watcher at this point sadly!

pauljholden

Bah, my mighty V+ box can record TWO Channels while I watch a third.

Right now I've 40 hours of tv recorded and no hours to watch any of it though.

- pj

Steve Green

Yeah, basically they want to flog off the spectrum - although there's pressure to set aside some for HD broadcasts over terrestrial as well.

The Topfield is one of the more expensive (although very good) PVRs.

There are other cheaper ones available, Watcher. I've seen some dual tuner PVRs you can pick up for around £100, there's one for that on the Argos site, called the Digihome. (Not sure how much cop it is though)

If you already have a freeview box, then you could get by with a single tuner PVR, although it would be less confusing to get a dual tuner PVR and use the old box for another TV.

The newer boxes have a standard called Freeview playback, which lets you do things like Series Link, compensate for schedule changes etc.

If you're on a budget, you could buy the cheapest/smallest freeview box to plug into your VCR's SCART and tune that to AV, although then there's the confusion of programming the box to switch to a channel and the VCR Timer as well.

A PVR is well worth it, most offer Chase Play - so you can watch a commercial channel fifteen minutes after a prog has started then skip the ads as you go.

- Steve

Link: http://www.pvruk.co.uk/" target="_blank">Freeview PVR site