Main Menu

PREACHER has ended... thoughts?

Started by Bad City Blue, 30 September, 2019, 09:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad City Blue

I was so looking forward to this, and quite enjoyed it but there was a lot of mess. The huge deviations from the comic hurt it a lot, I feel.

Excellent casting, some great moments, but overall it tried too hard and was too weird.

6/10
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

radiator

I wanted so hard to like it as I really liked the casting, but didn't make it to the end of season 1.

It was just.... boring.

I think ultimately that there was a time and a place for Preacher, and that was the 90s.

Richard

There's still a time and a place for Preacher today, if it's done properly. But it wasn't. Some of the cast were excellent, but the whole thing was let down by shit writing. I expected some departures from the comic, as that is to be expected with any adaptation. But the writers were so keen to do their own thing that it turned into something else. That whole sub-plot with Arseface and Hitler was a boring waste of time. The whole of season one was about Jesse Custer being a preacher before he embarks in his search for God, which isn't the point of Preacher at all. Starr and the Saint don't do anything until season two. And the two seasons I bothered to watch were based on the two least interesting story arcs in the comic -- Odin Quincannon and New Orleans. (Although I did enjoy the bit where Odin urinates in the mayor's briefcase.)

There were some good bits. The whole episode in Las Vegas was absolutely brilliant. The actors playing Cass and Starr were perfect, and Ruth Negga was so good that I didn't mind that she looked different to Tulip in the comic. But overall, I thought it was a wasted opportunity, and it has put me off watching The Boys in case it's the same.

Funt Solo

I really enjoyed "The Boys" and binge-watched the season. I managed a couple of episodes of Preacher.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

radiator

QuoteThere's still a time and a place for Preacher today, if it's done properly.

I'm not so sure, especially if you want a faithful adaptation. It's just such a product of its time.

Tiplodocus

While it occasionally came to life with wit and style, ultimately, it bored me.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Proudhuff

I enjoyed it, didn't stick with the original comic due too being v very skint at the time, so have nothing to gauge it against. I enjoyed that it pin-balled all over the place, and some of the set piece fights were a hoot, and god made me laugh a few times, which doesn't happen much.
DDT did a job on me

The Enigmatic Dr X

I really enjoyed the last dozen or so episodes (end of season 3, all of season 4).

I wish it had ended with Jesse on a horse and a memorable fight with Cass, but as it was I think the final scene was genius and really highlighted the tragic lonliness of Cass.

Sure, it deviated from the comic. A lot. But, c'mon, any programme featuring an answer to the question: "Who would win a fight, Jesus or Hitler?" can't be all bad.

The omission of "Not enough gun" was criminal.
Lock up your spoons!