Main Menu

Tyranny Rex - The Comeback

Started by Colin YNWA, 08 May, 2010, 07:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well its the dream team of John Smith and Steve Yeowell, its a set up for one of my favourite characters Tryanny Rex and openning the doors of possibility for her stories, its a twisted action romp that looks amazing. Can't go wrong right, wrong - its a dusty little tease and to my dismay I've confirmed on Barney goes no where. Boo hiss.

The basic set up here got me really excited. The first couple of episodes where great and I saw real hope for Tryanny Rex stories to come, with the nagging doubt in my mind that I'd not heard of anymore and there weren't many Progs left for them to come in... maybe I'd missed something? Well no and to be honest the whole thing just fizzled out, both on the story and the future level.

In the end it reads like John Smith just using up a feel spare ideas he had laying around and lacked the conviction and imagination that he usually delievers. Steve Yeowell does a great job and his desert landscapes look genuinely barren and harsh. To be honest a little like the story.

Its a shame I kinda think I should be waiting for Tryanny to be reborn in the same way Grant waits for Sam to get to Paris. Alas this one didn't inspire me enough.

Teasing.

Paul faplad Finch

Okay, a hat trick of negative posts. After this I'm off to find somewhere to be nice.

This story was always looking ropey to me based on it being written by John Smith, whose work had done nothing to impress me up to this point. I will say that since then he has written 50/50 stuff I've hated and stuff I've loved and I've since read earlier stuff that really impressed, but at this particular juncture I had only bad opinions of his work and so was not looking forwrad to this.

And I was right.

BUT. I had never read any of the previous Tyranny Rex stories. I seem to remember it being pimped as a story that you didn't need the history for. Maybe that was right and maybe it wasn't but I'll give John Smith the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe I would have enjoyed it a little more if I'd had a little more knowledge of the character.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

The Monarch

You see I didn't like this story and I enjoyed most of tyrannys older stories

I, Cosh

I was disappointed with this one too. The best thing about it was the suicide as extreme sport/performance art in the first episode.
We never really die.