Main Menu

Two Towers Extended edition

Started by Steamboy, 20 November, 2003, 01:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steamboy

watched this last night, hardly seems like it goes for nearly 4 hours. Added scenes not essential but certainly flesh things out a bit more, Love the Last march of the Ents and the extra bits with Merry and Pippen lighten things up a bit. Never read the books so cant tell you whats missing from em.. This is how a fantasy movie should be made, bring on Return of the King Mr jackson I cant wait..
Must get for anyone even a little bit into fantasy.

CU Kretsel

Agrivar

Four hours????

It sounds better than the cinema release which I found very weak. Will have to check it out.

Richmond Clements

I'm getting it from Santa... so I've got to wait for ages before I see it.

James

Me too. Although one of the kids at work is gonna gimme a lend before ROTK comes out.

In other news I watched Xmen 2 the other night again and very good it is too.

esoteric ed

You'll find the basic 4 disc set for ?17.99 at dvd.co.uk.

:-)

Ed

Link: http://www.dvd.co.uk" target="_blank">dvd.co.uk

Bony Fella

This set kicks ass!! Might even be better than the Fellowship Spec-Ed last year...

Noisybast

Apparently, the region 2 set's been cut by 4 mins. Completists might want to look out for the region 1 version...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Dunk!

Watched the extended version last night and having loved the original strangely loved this! -And found that it actually added a lot of missing elements. Mainly.
SPOILERS

Explaining the fierce loyalty of Aragorn's horse.
Why Faramir doubts his worth and how he finds redemption
And how Gollum's sense of betrayal is heightened by the beating he receives from Faramir's rangers.

And some new moments of mindless violence at Helms Deep. Nice.
"Trust we"

Waddie

The 42 minutes they've put back are the 42 minutes with most of the plot and pacing in.  A vast improvement on the theatrical release.

Oddboy

Apparently, the region 2 set's been cut by 4 mins. Completists might want to look out for the region 1 version...

Doubleyou-tee-eff?

What's the friggin' point in that?
Saffin'raffin'schnafin'grumblemumble...

Well, still going to wait until the whole thing is done as a one boxset *full* version, even if it's not out for 10 years.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Tiplodocus

First I've heard of this, Noisy.  Where's the extra four minutes gone?* Aren't these things sometimes just to do with things running at different rates? (or am I think cinema releases vs tv relases)?

I ordered mine today. Plan to tie the whole family to a sofa and make them watch the extended fellowship followed by the extended towers and then off to the cinema to see Return of The King.

I can't wait. (They probably can but hopefully they'll indulge the old fart).

(*nearly resists temptation to do scouse joke at Noisy's expense)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Priv8eye

I'd love to do that but i'd probably have to gag 'em all as well

wrighty47

"Where's the extra four minutes gone?* Aren't these things sometimes just to do with things running at different rates? (or am I think cinema releases vs tv relases)? "

No, I don't think you are. I'm not saying it isn't cut (I haven't checked) and I don't know all the specific terms but basically there is a speedup on PAL (our system) against NTSC (The U.S. system) that would explain the R2 version being 4 minutes shorter than the R1 version. This however is generally compensated for by PAL having better picture quality, down to there being more lines that go to make up the picture!

Alan!

Something Fishy

i think having bought the 2 disker i shall stick with it.

seems a lot of money for a few extra bits.

wrighty47

I think that nearly 45 minutes added to the movie, plus 2 discs worth of extra documentaries and such equates to a little bit more than "a few extra bits". Honestly, the extra scanes really do make a differernce. Many plot elements are explained and the whole pacing of the film comes across as being much more fluent.

Alan!