Main Menu

Meg 413 Domestic Disturbance

Started by broodblik, 16 October, 2019, 03:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Bad City Blue

Disppointing Dredd. Nice art but a bit of a nothing story.

Anderson is still going well.
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Bolt-01

I went back and re-read the Returners earlier episodes prior to this episode.

Absolutely corking little thriller this. Really enjoying it and glad I went back.

broodblik

Just finished the meg and the stand out was Anderson. The Returners is starting to make sense again. I can only say that the meg feels like it is missing something currently, the line-up is not as strong as it was a few months ago - bring on December for the return of Lawless
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Decent Meg. I actually really enjoyed the Dredd art and story. Thought it had an interesting different tone.

Really enjoyed the Tales from the Black Museum - cracking tale from Rory McConville and loved the art by Joe Palmer... have we seen Joe Palmer before? He's very good.

Diamond Dogs has lost me I'm afraid and The Returners while I've loved before I'm a little lost now. Glad to hear that Bolt found a re-read helped - must do that myself it would seem.

Anderson is a grizzly delight as ever for this run - been a winner this one.

Shame we have more recent Defoe in the floppie but nice text piece almost balance that out.

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 17 October, 2019, 08:55:49 PMhave we seen Joe Palmer before? He's very good.

Joe won the Thought Bubble comp 3-4 years ago, I believe he's been in the prog at least twice. Also has a really nice self-published comic out called "Grind" that I'd recommend grabbing a copy of: https://gumroad.com/joepalmerart

Bolt-01

Joe also drew four strips for FQP, all of which showed an artist not afraid of experimenting with form and style. Glad to see him back in the prog and I'd be happy to see him take on something more meaty.

Oh, and James Paul is correct - GRIND is great.

Sorry Paul...

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 18 October, 2019, 08:55:06 AM
Joe also drew four strips for FQP, all of which showed an artist not afraid of experimenting with form and style. Glad to see him back in the prog and I'd be happy to see him take on something more meaty.

Oh, and James is correct - GRIND is great.

*cough* It's Paul, Dave *cough* ;)

Tiplodocus

Well that didn't work for me. A flat DREDD, a couple of stories that lost me weeks back (DD and Returners) an ok Tale from Black Museum and Anderson was my favourite thing. Text articles weren't my thing. Good job I enjoyed DEFOE in the floppy even though it feels really recent.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Proudhuff

Possibly the first Anderson tale I've enjoyed in an age, well done for breathing some life into this, I know its basically Mai the sidekick's hot dog run, but its highly enjoyable.
Strangely I thought I'd read the Dredd before... my dotage is getting worse   :-[
DDT did a job on me

Frank

Quote from: Proudhuff on 30 October, 2019, 04:29:20 PM
Possibly the first Anderson tale I've enjoyed in an age, well done for breathing some life into this, I know its basically Mai the sidekick's hot dog run, but its highly enjoyable.
Strangely I thought I'd read the Dredd before... my dotage is getting worse   :-[

Yeah, I'll echo the general approval for McHugh's What If The X-Men Did The Hotdog Run? story. Goddard's art is great, too.

This episode felt like unnecessary backfill, but it's a relief to read an Anderson story where you can tell what everyone's doing, why, and how events in one panel lead into and have a causative effect on what's happening in the next panel, for a change.

I pretty much agree with the consensus on the other stories, too. Nothing awful.

Tiplodocus

I think that's a bit harsh on other recent Anderson's. I think they benefit from getting into the rhythm of the storytelling , often on a concerted re-read, and then they work better.

Hypocritically I'm also of the "You shouldn't have to do a reread" school of thought. But I know that's how I have to approach DEFOE, DEADWORLD, THE ORDER etc. because they tell stories slightly differently than I'm used to.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!