Main Menu

Meg 308 - Mega-City Meltdown

Started by Buttonman, 26 February, 2011, 01:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 02 March, 2011, 03:45:11 PM
Proudhuff is the new Cyberleader2000  :lol:

Hurry alter those spelling musticks!

too late!! sorry, this was done on a PC that pastes access codes into one's text everytime someone walks by, hence my lack of attention, it's the naughty step for me.
DDT did a job on me

The Sherman Kid

Had to post to say Insurrection just gets better and better.Easily one of the best strips to ever appear in the Meg with stunning artwork to match (Colin Macneil you surpass yourself).Dredd is now firing on all cylinders and happy to see Anderson returning (hopefully this time with a better story that the last).
Glad to also see Dreddlines back, this should be in every issue -there were even a couple of (short) answers !!!Wow ,somebody must have had enough coffee that day.You would get far more letters if bothered to answer them, as they always do in 2000ad.
On the fence about Numbercruncher just yet, not sure why it's in the Judge Dredd Megazine -I know you could say that about a few other strips, but maybe this is happening a little TOO frequently.
Not on the fence about Samizdat Squad -that was utter S**** ,pure and simple with a pathetic ending.Speaking of which, an interview with Shaky Kane !!!Perhaps one of, if not the worst artist to ever to appear in the Meg  :-[,why inflict him on us again???When we have tried so hard to forget..........

Buttonman

Quote from: Proudhuff on 02 March, 2011, 03:43:13 PM
wonder what that Mr Watson got, apart from a mention?  :D

Feck all, and I was glad to get it.

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 02 March, 2011, 07:36:36 PM
Glad to also see Dreddlines back, this should be in every issue -there were even a couple of (short) answers !!!Wow ,somebody must have had enough coffee that day.You would get far more letters if bothered to answer them, as they always do in 2000ad.

The Kid talks a lot of sense apart from announcing the return of Dreddlines - the last letters free issue was Meg 296.

BPP

Again the Meg kicks sand in the faces of those who decry it.

Apes In Space II - fabulous. Great switch of pacing and beautiful art. Worth it for the gorilla with a bazooka page alone. Have a feeling this second series is kicking it up a notch and moving back into the high gear Series I had.

Dredd - Wagner, Staz, Fatties, Hersey's bum. More kill shots than a Quartz Zone Massacre. Mysterious Murdering Cults. Love it.

Numbercruncher - Fabulous. Bonkers ideas, beautiful scripting, lovely art (loving the 2 styles / one panel work) and no idea whats happening next. Hurrah.

Samdag You Need Love - slightly flat last episode that definitely wrapped things up too quick. Lovely art and a promise of more. Can go for that.

Trebbles all round, you've done good.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

comicgeek

Insurrection is sort of Star Wars with Judges instead of Stormtroopers.  :) I don't think Dan Abnett has any plans to introduce Ewoks into the story.  :P

vzzbux

I am rooting for the SJS in Insurrection, I know they will get trounced (please prove me wrong) but my allegiance is to the justice dept. Am I the only one?

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Proudhuff

Quote from: vzzbux on 09 March, 2011, 09:05:12 PM
I am rooting for the SJS in Insurrection, I know they will get trounced (please prove me wrong) but my allegiance is to the justice dept. Am I the only one?
V

looks like it!  :D
DDT did a job on me

Robin Low

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 February, 2011, 04:22:52 PM
Is that Anderson image on the inside back MASSIVE SPOILER [spoiler]you were warned! [spoiler]deliberately supposed to evoke Alpha and the Final Solution?[/spoiler]

Do you remember that I once suggested that [spoiler]Anderson is the Walking Lady[/spoiler]?

Regards

Robin

PreacherCain

As someone who was very against the film reviews for a long time, I must say I really enjoy reading them now.  Osmond is an excellent film writer.  I enjoy the personal touch he gives the reviews and putting them into the context of genre film/arthouse/mainstream etc. even if I won't ever get a chance to see some of the films where I live.  We have been reduced to one cinema, down from three (including the arthouse cinema that always had something decent showing) a few years ago!

I think the Meg is out-performing the Prog at the moment. Wagner Dredd is always appreciated and Numbercruncher is a brilliant addition. Though I wonder new readers might react to three black & white strips (as good as they all are!).

The interviews weren't as good as usual this time around; I thought Bradstreet didn't actually come across too well.

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: vzzbux on 09 March, 2011, 09:05:12 PM

I'm with you. Lawbreakers should be shot!

radiator

As I grew up reading 2000ad I don't really distinguish between b&w and colour strips as other comic readers do - I only noticed the preponderance of B&W strips in the Meg when someone pointed it out on here!

I think both the prog and Meg are flying at the moment - the only weak links for me are the Robo-Hunter reprints which I'll most likely never read, and the impending return of Anderson (in both publications...), a character I haven't really cared about since the Wonderwall/Crusade storyline about 15 years ago!

Wagner on Dredd is always a treat, Insurrection joins Kingdom, Dante and a select few others on my 'A list' of strips that are always welcome, Numbercruncher is bold, original and interesting and Samizdat Squad has been solidly entertaining.

Professor Bear

Liked Samizdat, but Felt the ending was a bit rushed after the great build-up - though that's always the trade-off with extended action scenes in comics compared to 'story' pages - they feel decompressed, but you're still getting story for your buck.
"Why would I wear an eyepatch!?" is an awesome panel, both in and of itself, and as a payoff to the previous panel.
Do wonder if I missed something, though: the first paragraph of the strip explains that there were countless empty dimensions, so why did the East Meggers send the Apocalypse War nukes to the occupied dimension they were planning on using as an escape capsule if/when things went tits-up against MC1?

Numbercruncher I can't seem to read and it makes my eyes glaze every time I try.  I blame Tank Girl and that strip about the Latino gangster for making me realise I can skip stories I have no interest in - before then I would have read every goddamn page I'd paid money for on principal alone!

Insurrection is solid and feels old-school in practice, but could probably pack in twice as much as what actually happens into each episode.  Agree with those who support the judges - I hope they burn those space-communists to ashes.

Dredd I am saving up for the next time I have a poo, but I'll go out on a limb and say that I will probably enjoy a hefty chunk of JW.

Toni Scandella

Quote from: Professah Byah on 14 March, 2011, 05:32:32 PM

Dredd I am saving up for the next time I have a poo, but I'll go out on a limb and say that I will probably enjoy a hefty chunk of JW.

You haven't done a poo in two months???

I enjoyed all of the Meg.

petenix

Dredd is on form, I like the fact it has had a lot of build up and no real meaningful story happen, yet. In my sad completest mind, I'm hoping that the stonings are related to the exploding people a few issues back (were they ever explained!?)

Could the sammydavis squad please exit the megazine for good? I'm suprised that this was included in the meg, as the art, and script seemed to be to a different, lower, standard than the rest, am I being unduly harsh?

Insurrection was great, haven't read the first book, but I'm liking the second. The only minor complaint is that there is not much flesh on the characters bones, mind you who cares when the visuals are so gorgeous?

Number cruncher is excellent, and left me feeling genuinely sad for the protagonist, when [spoiler]he saw his erstwhile lady prone in the bed. I'm thinking he'll come out on top somehow, but I'm not sure how.[/spoiler].

Enjoying the Meg at the moment, but I don't think that it is on blistering form, whilst 2000AD is excellent. Let's see what the new Dredd story, [spoiler]the death of judge dredd takes us to...[/spoiler]
Life is like a sewer, you only get out of it what you put into it.

DrJomster

A great Meg!

I particularly want to mention the great colouring on Dredd. Those muzzle flashes look the business!

The perspective work in Insurretion was just lovely as was the tour of the different levels of the city. NOM!

Numbercruncher continues to be a good'un, but I wasn't expecting Samidat to be so short. That was a shame as it was a nice setup and could have been much longer.

The Samantha Slade just isn't grabbing me as much as I'd like it to, even with Hoagy and Stogie. But THANK GOD they're here otherwise there'd be ZERO chance of me working my way through this.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.