Main Menu

Prog 2013

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 08 December, 2012, 08:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Cow

Quote from: Buttonman on 11 December, 2012, 07:49:59 AM
Didn't take to Ack-Ack Macaque which seems like a strip built around a name. The blurb describes the creature as a monkey but it looks more like an ape. A Macaque is a monkey but what we have is a chimp - monkeys have tails!

To me Ack-Ack Macaque looked like Chuck Connors.  Did Chuck Connors have a tail?

The Prodigal

I haven't got my 2013 prog yet and as i only started reading at Christmas i often miss out on the historical backdrop to characters.

Could someone please tell me who this Barry Macaque is?

TIA.

Buttonman

Quote from: Big Barry PengeBack on 11 December, 2012, 10:24:07 AM
Quote from: Buttonman on 11 December, 2012, 07:49:59 AMA Macaque is a monkey but what we have is a chimp - monkeys have tails!

-splutter-

The true statement is apes have no tails, not all monkeys have 'em.

Yeah but you can explain anything with facts!

Those look like they should have tails but they've been docked - it's the exception that proves the rule! Ack-ack looks like Clyde off them Clint Eastwood films - ape I say!

SmallBlueThing

Argle! First time this year- including bank holidays- that the prog hasnt come in on a wednesday at my local newsie! Still, from the tone of the comments above, i can wait.

SBT

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Prodigal on 12 December, 2012, 07:43:51 AM

A shark-monkey hybrid that controversially has no tail. ;-)

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Proudhuff

Ack-ack McCrap: Is that why the monkey in a hat thread has re-appeared?
DDT did a job on me

The Prodigal

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 12 December, 2012, 08:01:42 AM

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Jim-appreciated.

In other news my newsagent did not have the 2013 prog in. "Maybe tomorrow."

Signed,

Nervous.

Mabs

Quote from: The Prodigal on 12 December, 2012, 10:30:04 AM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 12 December, 2012, 08:01:42 AM

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Jim-appreciated.

In other news my newsagent did not have the 2013 prog in. "Maybe tomorrow."

Signed,

Nervous.

You're lucky that your newsagent stocks it at all. None of my local newsagents in around a kilometre radius stock it. Bastards. I have to walk or take the bus up to my closest WH Smith's to grab a copy (like today). But its well worth the headache.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Mabs on 12 December, 2012, 01:05:33 PM

You're lucky that your newsagent stocks it at all. None of my local newsagents in around a kilometre radius stock it. Bastards. I have to walk or take the bus up to my closest WH Smith's to grab a copy (like today). But its well worth the headache.

Can't you ask one of your local newsagents to get it in for you?
I had to do that when I had a forced embargo from subscribing for a year. My local newsie didn't order it normally but got it in just for me.
Or subscribe...Obviously.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 12 December, 2012, 01:47:48 PM

I had to do that when I had a forced embargo from subscribing for a year. My local newsie didn't order it normally but got it in just for me.

Clip the little coupon from an old 2000ad and hand it into your newsagent, he won't think it at all strange
DDT did a job on me

Pete Wells

I really enjoyed Ack Ack Macaque and hadn't realised it was a book thingie. I thought you lot would have been raving about a monkey with a machine gun vs big stompy robots, ye friggin loons.

Mabs

Quote from: Proudhuff on 12 December, 2012, 01:56:38 PM
Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 12 December, 2012, 01:47:48 PM

Clip the little coupon from an old 2000ad and hand it into your newsagent, he won't think it at all strange

:D

I'll try and see if i can get one of my local newsagents to order it in, Matt. If not like you say - subscription may have to be an option
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Andy Smart

Haven't read all of this one so half a review to start with:

Cover was nice enough but did the text have to take up almost half the space?

Good to see that Dredd's feeling in the Christmas spirit. A decent enough story and it's good to see some repercussions from Chaos Day down on the ground. Art was alright but a few panels were a bit off. That poor lady's eyes were misaligned half the time.

Very nice Judge Death painting from the Staples droid. Saw it on Twitter earlier in the week but looks far better on the page. Though I do wonder how Death is going to work as a villain after his first as tragedy, then as farce phase.

Absalom was absolutely stonking. Highlight of the prog so far. Hats off to Trevallion for the creepy children. Loved the other-worldly of the, well, other world. [spoiler]Though the police lady seemed to snap out of it pretty quickly.[/spoiler]

Savage is off to a good start. [spoiler]Lot of references to the death of Bin Laden[/spoiler] which is probably what we should expect from Pat.Solid art as well.

Ack-Ack Macaque seems like a thrill from 79-80 updated for the internet age: Steam-punk! Monkey fighter-pilot, possibly a robot! Ninja nazis! Not a bad intro to the character though some of the exposition was a little forced. Not sure how it would work in print either. After a while you'd just forget he was a monkey. Unless Powell reminds every other page. "Ack-Ack -who, by the way, is still a monkey- crept into the control room, keeping a lookout for ninja-pirate-Nazis."

Just read the letter of the week (surely letter of the month) so far. The writer accuses Tharg of being a hermaphrodite and so certainly deserves his free book.

That's all for now.

Spikes

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 12 December, 2012, 08:01:06 AM
Argle! First time this year- including bank holidays- that the prog hasnt come in on a wednesday at my local newsie! Still, from the tone of the comments above, i can wait.

SBT

Trying not to glance at any spoilers i was hoping to see a post like this. Hunted high and low trying to find a copy but to no avail.
Is the end of year prog always released on a Wednesday, like the normal prog?
Hopefully itll be able to snag one soon.

TordelBack

Where's my bloody Prog!  This sometimes-n-orbit-on-a-Thursday business is all very well, but not for the Christmas Prog for Grud's sake!

In protest I have decided to stockpile Prog 2013, whenever it eventually slouches towards Bethlehem, until Christmas Day, and have commenced my Review of the Year Re-Read instead.  And bloody hell, what a strong start 2012 had...