Main Menu

Prog 2045 - Apocalypse Then!

Started by Judge Olde, 18 August, 2017, 12:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Stephens

Been so busy lately, I have the past 5 progs to catch up on.  THRILLPOWER OVERLOAD AHOY!
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Tjm86

Well, posties delivered.  Fair dues.  Time to digest properly.  Had to dig out the Apocalypse War and flick back.  Remembered Costa but not the others.  The other one that threw me a bit was that I thought that Judges only had three choices; Titan, Death or the Long Walk.  When did it start becoming possible to retire?

A.Cow

Quote from: Tjm86 on 19 August, 2017, 02:24:06 PM
The other one that threw me a bit was that I thought that Judges only had three choices; Titan, Death or the Long Walk.  When did it start becoming possible to retire?

Same reaction here.  However, logic suggests that a Judge who's too badly injured to continue on the streets would not be fit enough to take the Long Walk.  Presumably, when they get too old to carry out desk duty or teach at the Academy, retirement is the only viable option.

JPMaybe

Pretty sure it was established early on that they're allowed to retire and be a normal cit- I've a vague memory of a black and white era story where a judge retires to get married.
Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation

Frank

Quote from: A.Cow on 19 August, 2017, 02:38:52 PM
The other one that threw me a bit was that I thought that Judges only had three choices; Titan, Death or the Long Walk.  When did it start becoming possible to retire?

Same reaction here.  However, logic suggests that a Judge who's too badly injured to continue on the streets would not be fit enough to take the Long Walk.  Presumably, when they get too old to carry out desk duty or teach at the Academy, retirement is the only viable option.

"He found Wintergreen at the Academy, eased into retirement, but the old man's mind was still sharp"

The Edgar Case, 1591, Wagner and Goddard

The same story, collected as part of Tour Of Duty: The Backlash, features Jefferson Kubitts, who left the department under the Justice In The Community programme 23 years previously, to become a private security contractor.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Richard on 19 August, 2017, 12:39:07 PM
There's a promising 3riller written by Gordon Rennie and Lawrence Rennie -- son? Brother? Husband? The plot thickens!

Im guessing evil mirror-universe counterpart. Does he have a goatee beard?

No prog for me today  :(

Tjm86

Quote from: Frank on 19 August, 2017, 03:03:39 PM

"He found Wintergreen at the Academy, eased into retirement, but the old man's mind was still sharp"

The Edgar Case, 1591, Wagner and Goddard

The same story, collected as part of Tour Of Duty: The Backlash, features Jefferson Kubitts, who left the department under the Justice In The Community programme 23 years previously, to become a private security contractor.

Thanks for those.  Forgot about the latter.  Never really thought of Judge Tutors as 'retired', more shifted from street to classroom.  Good point on Kubitts.  Also forgot Demarco.  Well, that's a face palm then :crazy:

JOE SOAP

Quote from: A.Cow on 19 August, 2017, 02:38:52 PM

Prog#662. Tale of the Dead Man

Colin YNWA

Exciting cover which we've known for a while now. More importantly a pretty entertaining Prog which also gives us the exciting news that Thrills of the Future inclued the return of Brass Sun - WAYHEY!

Dredd teaches us one important thing. However good Dan Cornwell was on art duties on Rok of the Reds he utterly kicks ass on Dredd. The episode looks superb. Its a pretty nice set up. Interesting with all this talk in the 2044 Prog review thread of other writers not quite sealing the deal post DoC (PAH I say its been excellent stuff) we get a Wagner and still people find something to question. You lot are never happy! Really looking forward to seeing how this one develops.

Alienist continues to be much more enjoyable than previous stories for this thrill.

Grey Suit loses a bit of the momentum this series has picked up with a curiously slapstick episode this week. The on off squabble (and that's the best way to describe it) between Blake and Zil is kinda weird and feels to miss the tone we've had to date... though I guess the fruit weapons of the second part actually set this feel up more than I appreciated at the time.

Hope continues to be interesting but suggest a read as one might be needed to get the pace of the story sorted.

Finally a nice opening to a 3riller in which Grennie introduces us (well me at least) to another writing partner in Lawrence (any relation?) Rennie. As ever the case with 3rillers the opener we almost need to ignore, its all about how it keeps up the quality.

So nice if not exceptional Prog a fine Dredd aside.

Frank

Quote from: Tjm86 on 19 August, 2017, 04:04:18 PM
Never really thought of Judge Tutors as 'retired', more shifted from street to classroom.  Good point on Kubitts.  Also forgot Demarco.

It's only my interpretation of The Edgar Case, but Wintergreen looks more like he's properly retired* than a tutor. In Fifty Year Man (1536), Dredd visits the elderly Sanders**, who's been transferred to an admin post -which isn't leaving the Department, but, y'know ...

DeMarco was allowed to leave the Department under City Ordnance 1949JW, which states that characters Wagner's fond of and wants to use later are afforded special privileges.***

* Dredd finds him sitting on a park bench, wearing a sun visor so he can read his book. He's wearing a leisure suit rather than the the elaborate iron corsets Griffin and Pepper sported back in the day, but I suppose Patrick Goddard has a very different visual aesthetic to Ian Gibson. Maybe judges who opt for the Academy get to see out their days there once they're past teaching, rather than taking justice to the lawless on a zimmer

** Who looks like Ron Smith but shares a name with the former MD of the IPC Youth Group ...

*** "When I started (The Pit) I didn't know how it was going to work out for any of the characters, but when I saw Carlos's interpretation of her I knew I had to use DeMarco again"

Tjm86

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 August, 2017, 04:55:25 PM
.... we get a Wagner and still people find something to question. You lot are never happy!

<I'm not worthy abasement>If that was to me then my apologies sir.  I wasn't questioning what was happening, just my understanding of circumstances.  I will commit myself to appropriate penance for even seeming to criticise the great Wagner.  </I'm not worthy abasement>

Frank

Quote from: JPMaybe on 19 August, 2017, 03:01:12 PM
I've a vague memory of a black and white era story where a judge retires to get married.

Blanche Tatum (The Executioner, 292--294) was a 12th year cadet*, expelled for unauthorised liaison with the citizen she later married.

* You have to think a 12th year cadet would already know whatever krav maga, wu-tang shit the Department thinks makes full eagles too dangerous to let back onto the streets if they leave

JPMaybe

Nah it was another one I'm thinking of.  Dredd tells him to behave cos he's just a citizen now or something.
Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation

Leigh S

Quote from: JPMaybe on 19 August, 2017, 07:49:06 PM
Nah it was another one I'm thinking of.  Dredd tells him to behave cos he's just a citizen now or something.

Didnt "The Falucci Tapes" touch on this - Dredd or someone tells Sladek he could have just resigned, but Sladek didnt want to give up the badge?