Main Menu

When did 2000ad get good again.

Started by BPP, 04 July, 2019, 11:38:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

Quote from: AlexF on 08 July, 2019, 11:18:36 AM
Broad agreement here that the Prog started getting better again once Sin Dex and Dante became regular features. For me, the second Golden Age of 2000AD hit around Progs 1500-1850, if we're talking week-in, week-out 4/5 thrills are on top form. The Prog is in fine fettle just now, probably it's just me that's feeling more silver than golden.

Ditto. Though I personal push that golden era back to 1400. Because Total War is real real good. I'd also argue Prog 1651 is the great Prog based purely on line-up of all time.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

IndigoPrime

Dredd / Kingdom / Nikolai Dante / Shakara / Strontium Dog. Oh yes. And people say the 200s and 300s were the best the Prog ever had to offer. Tish and piffle.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 July, 2019, 08:51:22 PM
Dredd / Kingdom / Nikolai Dante / Shakara / Strontium Dog. Oh yes. And people say the 200s and 300s were the best the Prog ever had to offer. Tish and piffle.

I was just looking at that line-up and thinking much the same thing.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

radiator

Quote from: Richard on 09 July, 2019, 07:46:53 PM
That was the worst logo ever. I don't think it even qualifies as a logo really, it's just a font.

That was weird - I remember that redesign lasting for barely any time at all - think it totally changed again as of 1234? Was there ever any explanation for that? In any case I quite like it.

I still maintain that the actual worst logo ever is the bendy hand-drawn, occasionally chrome looking one they had for much of the run from 120-554(?). I know people have a lot of nostalgia for it, but I think it's a total eyesore. The original original logo is kind of cool in a retro throwback way, the bendy one is just naff and dated imo.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Adventurer on 09 July, 2019, 08:39:08 PM
Quote from: AlexF on 08 July, 2019, 11:18:36 AM
Broad agreement here that the Prog started getting better again once Sin Dex and Dante became regular features. For me, the second Golden Age of 2000AD hit around Progs 1500-1850, if we're talking week-in, week-out 4/5 thrills are on top form. The Prog is in fine fettle just now, probably it's just me that's feeling more silver than golden.

Ditto. Though I personal push that golden era back to 1400. Because Total War is real real good. I'd also argue Prog 1651 is the great Prog based purely on line-up of all time.

Yeah I think there's a distinction between when it got good again and the neo-golden age (or whatever you want to call it). Got good again 1998 into 1999 (really good in 1999). I always define (for whatever stupid reason, there is of course no need to) the last Golden Age to have started 1632, EDIT - or if factual accuracy was ever to bother my posts 1634 -  first Prog with both Zombo and Cradlegrave.

Let's see if that version of things survives my re-read as we head towards that time.

sheridan

Logo-wise - I moved shortly after the period where that logo was used and had to leave my comics in storage for about three years.  By the time I got to look through my comics again I remember thinking I didn't recall that period at all, design-wise!

MumboJimbo

That was the worst logo ever. I don't think it even qualifies as a logo really, it's just a font.

The logo's nothing special, but there's conceptual unity (IMO) with the logo and the page layout, especially the curved cropping of the cover art to the left of the page. I don't think there's much unity in the current prog's layout. The "2000 AD" font has no relation to the logo to the left, and it seems odd (to me) that "2000 AD" is mentioned twice.

MumboJimbo

Quote from: radiator on 09 July, 2019, 09:15:43 PM
I still maintain that the actual worst logo ever is the bendy hand-drawn, occasionally chrome looking one they had for much of the run from 120-554(?).

<cough, splutter>Moderator!

Lorenzo

Quote from: MumboJimbo on 10 July, 2019, 02:46:01 PM... The "2000 AD" font has no relation to the logo to the left, and it seems odd (to me) that "2000 AD" is mentioned twice.
I'm pretty sure that mini logo to the left of the logotype is to ensure the name is still visible even when half hidden by other magazines on the shelves of the newsagent. It also adds to the brand unity as the same logo is on the spines/covers of tpb's.

IndigoPrime

I got the impression at one point that one was the 'brand' and the other was the comic's logotype. Not the case with the Meg now, mind, which omits the 2000 AD logo.

The Adventurer

Quote from: MumboJimbo on 10 July, 2019, 02:46:01 PM

The logo's nothing special, but there's conceptual unity (IMO) with the logo and the page layout, especially the curved cropping of the cover art to the left of the page. I don't think there's much unity in the current prog's layout. The "2000 AD" font has no relation to the logo to the left, and it seems odd (to me) that "2000 AD" is mentioned twice.

It is odd to have it twice, but I think the idea is the 'badge' logo is the brand (like a Marvel or DC cover logo), but the title is also 2000 AD. But then, the Megazine doesn't have a badge logo, so.... maybe I've no idea.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

davidbishop

Quote from: The Adventurer on 10 July, 2019, 11:50:59 PM

It is odd to have it twice, but I think the idea is the 'badge' logo is the brand (like a Marvel or DC cover logo), but the title is also 2000 AD. But then, the Megazine doesn't have a badge logo, so.... maybe I've no idea.

The badge is top left so it can be easily spotted in shops that layer magazines. The wide title helps reinforce the branding. Having both enables editorial to overlap the wide title for more dynamic design, yet retain the top left logo for identification purposes. All IMHO, obvs.

Lorenzo

Man, that's a lot of repetition in only 4 posts!

MacabreMagpie

Taste is subjective and all that. I haaaaaaaated the cover design around this point (it was the start of my declining interest that stopped me being a regular reader for a bit) and it was mostly because of that curve and ugly logo font. All felt a bit sterile to me.

I'm very fond of the current cover layout.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 11 July, 2019, 09:20:12 AM

Taste is subjective and all that. I haaaaaaaated the cover design around this point (it was the start of my declining interest that stopped me being a regular reader for a bit) and it was mostly because of that curve and ugly logo font. All felt a bit sterile to me.

The Prog 1200 logo & design aesthetic always screamed, "MS Windows" to me. Brrrrr. I read the prog at the time in a state of constant apprehension of it crashing halfway through.

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"