Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: radiator on 13 November, 2019, 10:53:23 PM
The paradox of conspiracy thought is that the people who extol conspiracy theories think they are the ones with their eyes open and everyone else are 'sheep', yet the reality is that they who are the naive ones, as they are the ones subscribing to the rather quaint notion that someone, somewhere is in charge and in control of everything, and we live in a ordered universe instead of one of horrifying chaos.

100%

For me, JFK's assassination seems be the birth of elaborate conspiracy theories. Like people don't want to face the reality that one unimportant nobody could completely fuck up everything. Yet I've never heard as much speculation around Gavrilo Princip as there is around Lee Harvey Oswald. The former undoubtedly fucked shit up more than the latter, there just wasn't as much images and footage.
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

The odd thing about Princip and Archduke Ferdindand is that while the action was just a simple bit of cackhanded political violence, it became the key to several genuine Mills-level conspiracies.

I used to enjoy and entertain conspiracy theories quite a lot (JFK a case in point), but 9/11 pretty much ended that for me. The cascade of shit spinning out of one Tom Clancy plotline made it abundantly clear that there was no-one in charge, no grand scheme or enlightened puppeteers, just a scrabbling mess of opportunists pulling in whichever direction suited them at that moment. The inciting event of a secular atheism.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dandontdare on 14 November, 2019, 01:40:13 PM
so in all the chaos of that day, one of their reporters was told, and passed on, that a building that had been hit, was burning and in danger of imminent collapse had actually collpased about 20 minutes before it actually happened.

To be fair to the Shark, that was his conclusion too.

I hate conspiracy theories. I have a good mate and an ex girlfriend who never learned how to recognise those rabbit holes and got lost in them. The former has since learned about Occam's Razor and confirmation bias; whilst the latter will spend the rest of her days thinking she needs to educate us sheeple about about chemtrails, Pizzagate and fucking crisis actors.

I've said it before, but tinfoil hatters are the authoritarian leader's greatest allies. They're off trying to get everyone else to chase phantoms while the real powers that be are pissing on us in plain sight.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 November, 2019, 10:29:10 PM
The odd thing about Princip and Archduke Ferdindand is that while the action was just a simple bit of cackhanded political violence, it became the key to several genuine Mills-level conspiracies.

Aye, but the actual circumstances should be rife for conspiracy* theories. It would be like Lee Harvey Oswald missed and JFK was spirited away, only for the fella on the grassy knoll to happen upon JFK while he was picking up a sandwich from his favourite but obscure deli.

*technically it was a conspiracy as there were several Serbs involved.
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

Quote from: Mister Pops
Aye, but the actual circumstances should be rife for conspiracy* theories. It would be like Lee Harvey Oswald missed and JFK was spirited away, only for the fella on the grassy knoll to happen upon JFK while he was picking up a sandwich from his favourite but obscure deli.

So true!

JamesC

The only conspiracy theory I have any time for is the circumstance around Diana's crash.
I don't know what happened but I'm pretty sure we'll never get the full story.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JamesC on 15 November, 2019, 06:19:00 AM
The only conspiracy theory I have any time for is the circumstance around Diana's crash.

The driver had a bit of drink on him, there were paparazzi chasing them so they crashed. Seems fairly clear cut to me - people are killed in traffic accidents every day.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tiplodocus

Pizzagate? What's Pizzagate?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JamesC

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 15 November, 2019, 08:01:40 AM
Quote from: JamesC on 15 November, 2019, 06:19:00 AM

The driver had a bit of drink on him, there were paparazzi chasing them so they crashed. Seems fairly clear cut to me - people are killed in traffic accidents every day.

Fair enough - just never rang true to me - at least I always thought there was more to it.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 15 November, 2019, 09:34:20 AM
Pizzagate? What's Pizzagate?

the claim that Clinton and the democrats were running a paedoophile ring from a pizza restaurant - patent nonsense, but it diodn't stop some Trumper firebombing the place.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 November, 2019, 10:36:12 AM
the claim that Clinton and the democrats were running a paedoophile ring from a pizza restaurant - patent nonsense, but it diodn't stop some Trumper firebombing the place.

From the basement of a business that didn't even have a basement, if I recall correctly...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

Lee Harvey Oswald defected to the Soviet Union in October 1959 and lived in Minsk until June 1962, when he returned to the United States with his Russian wife, Marina, and eventually settled in Dallas.

This is the kind of factoid that simply cries out for speculation. It doesn't mean the Russians were responsible for the assassination, nor does it mean they had nothing to do with it. In itself, it means only what it says. One cannot deny, though, that it adds spice, and possibly even a little context, to the overall story.

When discussing this point, using the term "conspiracy theory" to dismiss it out of hand, in my evolving opinion, is rarely useful.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Fake news and conspiracy theroies thrive on this snide "I'm not saying it proves anything, but isn't it insteresting that ..." bullshit. Either have the balls to say what you think or keep your "factoids" to yourself.

Why did you even mention  that BS about WTC7 if you don't think it proves anything? These things accumulate a weight of circumstantial suspicion and just muddy the waters. Back it up or shut up.

In fact we created this thread to stop you polluting every other thread with your political digressions, and yet another thread for your conspiracy nonsense - I do like to talk politics, so can we move the rest to that thread so I can ignore it as it really makes me angry.

It seems that an almost infinite access to knowledge has only made the human race exponentially more stupid

The Legendary Shark

Jeez - sorry, DDD. I was trying to make a point about...

Well, I guess it doesn't matter. I misjudged the mood of the thread and posted the wrong thing, for which I apologise.

Nowt more from me on the subject here.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Nah s'okay - shouldn't have gone off on you - made the mistake of taking a break from a stressful day by catching up on the news and the sheer volume of lies and bullshit being thrown around under the guise of "I'm only saying..." left my blood boiling.