Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 16 December, 2013, 03:01:45 PM
Yeah they all drink it cold, the fiends.

Less the temperature than the fact it tends to be piss-weak and they serve a short pint, IMO.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

CrazyFoxMachine

Link Prime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 December, 2013, 03:07:03 PM

Less the temperature than the fact it tends to be piss-weak and they serve a short pint, IMO.

One more reason why the UK & Eire will always be the best spots for a pint.

Mikey

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 10 December, 2013, 01:33:16 PM
Well I started to watch Breaking Bad, at last. Five episodes into season one and it's very good indeed. I find Walter to be one of the more empathetic anti hero's of recent years.

The Emporer has no clothes.

I was looking forward to Breaking Bad as I'd heard a lot of people saying how much they liked it and it had an inteteresting premise. So I watched it. Turns out my view, which is the correct one of course, is that is was way over hyped and it just didn't live up to the praise it garnered.

My main problem with it was that it went on for too long for what it actually was - I reckon there's a good two or two and a half series when you get rid of the shite. My second problem was that I really didn't like the Whites (apart from Junior) at all, partly because I did not believe them as characters. Plus some of the plot points seemed to require what I saw as pretty massive, massive intuitive leaps to keep the ball rolling, which leads me to my next point: it came across in many occasions as being willfully written into a corner so they could show just how clever they were in getting out of it. As long as you could swallow the leap of logic sometimes needed, for which you had no hope of guessing or marveling at in hindsight as it still didn't make sense. Walter had a tendency to Talk Like A Scientist Does and mumble his thought process in that bumbling way usually reserved for people in white coats with big glasses and mad hair. Plus, in case you hadn't got it already, you can tell he's a nerd because he has a calculator watch and wears y-fronts. Like a big nerd. And if he was worried and/or thinking he opened his mouth. If he wasn't it was closed. Jesse had his moments, [spoiler]including a girlfriend in the fridge one,[/spoiler] but I couldn't bring myslef to care. And Skylar? A hateful trout! First of all, she's worried about the kids, she just wants to be with her kids, HER KIDS GODDAMN IT! But then is happy to ship them off for as long as it takes to mooch about in search of character. [spoiler]Plus why in the name of suffering fuck did Hank not scoop Walter when he was standing in his garage having bloody confessed?[/spoiler] The whole thing couldn't decide if it was gritty or funny either.  Plus: WHAT WAS THE POINT IN THE FUCKIN CAR WASH?

And that's just for starters...

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: pictsy on 16 December, 2013, 01:51:50 PM
OK I have ditched Star Trek TOS.  I can't watch every episode.

I have watched the entire first series of Star Trek TNG, though and it is soooooo much better.  I am now onto the second series which is already showing improvements.

Blimey! It takes 2 to 3 series to find it's feet does TNG.  But then is great*. So I reckon you are in for a treat.

* Your mileage may vary depending on how much you like Brent Spiner.  I think he's great. Yes, even in that one with the bloody masks. Oh and there's a Scottish Ghost episode that is possibly the worse thing I've ever seen. (And I watched ALL of  Smallville),
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 16 December, 2013, 05:39:12 PMOh and there's a Scottish Ghost episode that is possibly the worse thing I've ever seen.

Ha, Sub Rosa - that one is craptacular: zombie shortbread-tin grandmothers and the alien ghosties that love them.  Poor Gates McFadden, one of her few 'solo' episodes and it is atrocious.

pictsy

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 16 December, 2013, 05:39:12 PM
Blimey! It takes 2 to 3 series to find it's feet does TNG.  But then is great*. So I reckon you are in for a treat.

* Your mileage may vary depending on how much you like Brent Spiner.  I think he's great. Yes, even in that one with the bloody masks. Oh and there's a Scottish Ghost episode that is possibly the worse thing I've ever seen. (And I watched ALL of  Smallville),

I have seen most of TNG countless times.  Actually to the point where I got sick and tired of it.  After watching ToS I find TNG watch-able again which is a marvellous thing.  I always think things really start taking off when they get rid of those thin coloured lines on the top part of their uniform.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Mikey on 16 December, 2013, 03:24:45 PM
[ [spoiler]Plus why in the name of suffering fuck did Hank not scoop Walter when he was standing in his garage having bloody confessed?[/spoiler] The whole thing couldn't decide if it was gritty or funny either.  Plus: WHAT WAS THE POINT IN THE FUCKIN CAR WASH?

And that's just for starters...

M.

The Car Wash was [spoiler]to launder money, which they did successfully. And Hank didn't because of a lack of solid evidence (Walt had covered his tracks) and the extremely poor light it would shine on him either way - to bring him in without solid evidence and a means of exonerating himself from suspicion, he'd be thrown in jail or at the very least, fired for his association.
[/spoiler]

However I do think the hype surrounding Breaking Bad reached a bit of a critical mass and as much as I enjoyed it, it was perhaps exaggerated. I prefered The Sopranos if I'm honest. And both shows are gritty and funny at the same time...

Colin YNWA

Well damnit I've got something I really want to mention but I'm afraid as soon as I do I'll not be able to come back to the thread for fear of spoilers. Anyway I'll be brave and here goes. Last night we watched the end Breaking Bad's 3rd season. Oh my giddy Aunt was that a cliff-hanger or what!

Now we're lucky. We watching it via Lovefilm and so while we will have to wait a wee bit for Season 4 to kick off again, maybe a couple of Doctor Whos will arrive  first etc etc I can't even begin to imagine how folk who watched this in real time coped. You'd have had to wait, what 9 months before it was back. That is just cruel.

Wow its good though.

So now I can never come back to this thread for fear of spoilers, or do you all promise to play nice?

Theblazeuk

Well, we'll play nice with the spoiler tags. On your own head be it if you look underneath!

Mikey has watched all of Breaking Bad btw so do not look lest ye pay the price.

Devons Daddy

Breaking bad  :o
Amongst the greatest tv ever seen!

Ranks alongside the wire and sapranos in terms of yank tv.
With some scream at the tv moments. For sheer Nooooooooo cliffhanger endings.

Star Trek for me DS9 was excellent.
Pure Sci if western frontier town.

Own both may begin an overdose after christmas
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 17 December, 2013, 12:55:03 PM
Mikey has watched all of Breaking Bad btw so do not look lest ye pay the price.

Yeah I realised that a wee bit earlier and ran like the wind up the thread!

Mikey

I liked some bits of Breaking Bad, but gruddammit they were too few and far between. SPOILERS COMING COLIN!

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 17 December, 2013, 10:53:07 AM
The Car Wash was [spoiler]to launder money, which they did successfully. And Hank didn't because of a lack of solid evidence (Walt had covered his tracks) and the extremely poor light it would shine on him either way - to bring him in without solid evidence and a means of exonerating himself from suspicion, he'd be thrown in jail or at the very least, fired for his association.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Yes, I know it was to launder money. I just thought it was stupid and having a lock up full of cash you couldn't launder quick enough was stupid too! Plus about Hank: unless things are different in the US, an officer of the law (never mind being a credible witness) like Frank would have a 'reasonable suspicion' that an offence had been committed if someone 'fessed up to it and could use that as grounds to arrest him. Once he's arrested then you can start questioning him about his link to the notebook, look into his financial affairs etc. And the fact that Frank was DEA only strengthens my point[/spoiler] Frank was one of the few good characters.

QuoteRanks alongside the wire and sapranos in terms of yank tv.
With some scream at the tv moments. For sheer Nooooooooo cliffhanger endings.

Your mouth is full of crazy talk DD! There is NO WAY it can be mentioned in the same breath as those two series! There was some awful acting in The Wire at times, but at least there was plot and character to get you through it. Sopranos was bob on, apart from [spoiler]poor Vito having to dance unconvincingly in a gay fetish bar  :lol:[/spoiler]

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

I, Cosh

Recently I've been alternating between the first serieses of Justified and Lexx, both of which are a lot of fun.

Justified stars Timothy Olyphant playing basically the same character as in Deadwood, transposed to contemporary Kentucky. This first series doesn't have any single over-arching plotline, favouring the loosely bubbling strands mixed in with murder of the week favoured by early seasons of The Shield. Coincidentally, one of those strands is good ol' Cletus van Damme himself, playing a figure from our man's past.

I'd seen quite a bit of Lexx before, but mostly later series and late at night so going back to the start has been enlightening. The first series is made up of four 90 minute tv movie installments. This has its pros and its cons. On the plus side, each episode gets plenty of space to explore its plot in full; on the other hand, this often leads to needless, overextended scenes and annoying repetition of effects sequences.

Boiling it down to its "core concept", Lexx has a lot in common with the likes of Blake's 7 and Farscape but it seems to me that it piles in a lot more genuine science fictional elements as well as a far broader streak of black humour. Probably what distinguishes it most from other tv sci-fi, what I enjoy most about it - and is just as likely to turn others off - is the unrepentant daftness it contains.

I'd previously thought Lexx's more overt sexxual content was maybe due to it being a German co-production and, therefore, having a more open-minded, European outlook. There's definitely an element of that and of taking the piss out of our expectations of gender roles. However, plenty of it is just plain pervy.
We never really die.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: The Cosh on 26 December, 2013, 03:16:34 PM
Recently I've been alternating between the first serieses of Justified and Lexx, both of which are a lot of fun.

Is Lexx the show with loads of puppet work aliens or I am confusing it with another show?