Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

That was one of my background shows while I worked, and memorably bad it was, too.  One of the original CSI castmembers left CSI to be on it - she's on Under The Dome now, so I'm increasingly convinced she picks bad shows deliberately.
If you want to see another show that's Chuck, only not Chuck, try Jake 2.0 if it comes up on the telly box thing.  It was Chuck before Chuck was Chuck - light-hearted and 20something friendly - only without being wilfully stupid or quite as dependent on hateful caricature.  It's not a classic or owt, but it did have an enjoyably daffy throwback premise of a CIA dogsbody accidentally turned into a Six Million Dollar Man, and had the original Six Million Dollar Man (Lee Majors) in it for an extended cameo and a bit where the character runs and it goes into slow motion and a noise goes wowowowowowow, which is really all you need in a show.

Been rewatching Street Hawk, which I only half-remember from when I was a nipper.  It's got that slightly different pacing of older tv shows from when they were about five minutes longer than they are now, and along with the music score and how shitty Los Angeles looks without lens flares and the streets all cleaned up before the film crew gets there, there's an aesthetic quality to things I really like even if the plots often aren't great and the production design - including Street Hawk itself - isn't very inventive or memorable.
Crap, but in a fun way.

Tjm86

Quote from: Scolaighe Ó'Bear on 17 August, 2015, 09:51:16 PM
Been rewatching Street Hawk, which I only half-remember from when I was a nipper.  ..... there's an aesthetic quality to things I really like even if the plots often aren't great and the production design - including Street Hawk itself - isn't very inventive or memorable.
Crap, but in a fun way.

That's from the time in the early eighties when we had an insane number of shows like that.  Air wolf, A Team, Manimal, Automan, Blue Thunder ...   All predictable mind candy.  Watched Airwolf a while ago.  Made it through the first season and half of the second.  Decided that the (allegedly) dodgy third and fourth season weren't worth the risk.  Blue Thunder was a poor second to it and not a patch on the film. 

In a similar vein I'm on a slog through the X Files.  Currently on season 2 which if I remember was about the highlight before it completely lost the plot (or rather tied the mythology in so many knots you didn't have a clue what was going on).  Kind of weird, especially with Duchovny currently on Aquarius looking a hell of a lot older. 

Tiplodocus

CATASTROPHE just turned up on Love Film. I suspect it was on C4 previously. Kookie sit com fave Sharon Horgan and the quite edible Rob Delaney in mismatched couple expecting baby and wedding high jinks. Painfully observed but really funny.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 27 August, 2015, 09:22:06 PM
CATASTROPHE just turned up on Love Film. I suspect it was on C4 previously. Kookie sit com fave Sharon Horgan and the quite edible Rob Delaney in mismatched couple expecting baby and wedding high jinks. Painfully observed but really funny.

Indeed, highly recommended. It will lull you into thinking it's just another comfy 'mismatched couple' sitcom, then throw in  a jaw-dropping gag about abortion or something.

Colin YNWA

Still working my way through The West Wing. Now I know people rave about the end of Season 1 and start of Season 2, but man that last episode of Season 4 was quite something, really quite something.

It really is an incredibly good show.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 27 August, 2015, 09:22:06 PM

Ah cool. They were the guests on this weeks Richard Herring podcast. This will mAke the show easier to track down.

Goaty

Just finish watch final episode of Season 3 of Person of Interest on Channel 5, oh wow that was brilliant season! Don't know what to expect in Season 4, would be interesting to see what new way they will do it. As I know I am one of few who watch it from Series 1 on C5. Worth it to check first two series on Netflix. It very familiar to PSU in Mega-City 1.

radiator

Rick and Morty.

As a huge fan of Community and Dan Harmon, I watched the first few eps of R&M when it debuted last year, but while I enjoyed it, it didn't quite grab me enough to persevere. Decided to give it another try the other day and devoured almost the entire first season in one sitting. Now on to season 2.

It's magnificent. As a high concept sci fi comedy cartoon, its very reminiscent of Futurama at its peak, and much like Community, it has me both howling with laughter and marvelling at how clever it is.

Highly, highly recommended.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: radiator on 17 September, 2015, 06:59:11 AM

It's magnificent. As a high concept sci fi comedy cartoon, its very reminiscent of Futurama at its peak, and much like Community, it has me both howling with laughter and marvelling at how clever it is.

Highly, highly recommended.

Seconded. Utterly phenomenal TV - each episode is a whirlwind of creative fury and boundless madness that's completely irresistible. I cannot think of a single show like it apart from the halcyon days of Futurama perhaps. I can't reccommend it higher.

Satanist

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub BITCHES!

Watched "The Bastard Executioner" last night. Its an alright intro and I'll stick with it to see where it goes.

Sutter did the Shield which was great and Sons of Anarchy which was pish and actually got worse so it could go either way.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

I, Cosh

A colleague foisted his much loved Rome box sets on me a few months ago. It's taken me a while to get through the first series but it's fairly enjoyable. I found both the odd couple PoV characters a bit irritating but the big hitters were all pretty good, particularly Ciaran Hinds' Caesar.

Having developed a taste for all things Roman I then moved onto the utterly ludicrous Spartacus: Blood and Sand. This is very, very silly indeed. Taking its lead from 300 but far more fun, it manages to make a stylistic virtue of its CGI blood and ropey backgrounds. Legs are hacked, throats sliced, John Hannah is slimy and there are more tits on display than you can shake a gladius at.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Cosh on 17 September, 2015, 09:51:33 AM
A colleague foisted his much loved Rome box sets on me a few months ago. It's taken me a while to get through the first series but it's fairly enjoyable. I found both the odd couple PoV characters a bit irritating but the big hitters were all pretty good, particularly Ciaran Hinds' Caesar.

I bloody love Rome, its jammed packed with silliness and nonsense (not as much as Spartacus: Blood and Sand, as I'm led to believe, hence I've avoided that), but does a really good job of presenting the history in a fun, relatively accurate (as far as I know) way. Though if you don't like Titus Pullo (Ray Stevenson as one of the odd couple POV characters) you are dead to me, you hear, dead to me.

TordelBack

Thirteenth! Thirteenth!  Yeah, Rome is all kinds of stupid fun, but Spartacus is even more stupid, and thus logically even more fun.  It has its own daft pronoun-free dialect, elevates blood and gore to some kind of inoffensive expressionist art form, and fearlessly brings the mirkin back into fashion.  The first two series (original and prequel) are especially great.

Tiplodocus

I loved James Purefoy as the 'cock of the north' Mark Anthony.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Goaty