Main Menu

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Started by TordelBack, 23 January, 2017, 04:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

I think it's ridiculous how much people knock RotJ these days. Yeah, it gets a bit silly towards the end, and it's easily the weakest of the OT, but it's still a stone cold classic, and is jam-packed with iconic sequences and visuals. Imo it's so much of a tighter, better constructed and more memorable film than any of the modern SW movies its not even funny.

My personal rankings would be:

1. Empire (I think the original works best as a standalone movie, but this is my go-to if I want to watch a SW movie)
2. Star Wars
3. Jedi

Big drop off

4. Force Awakens

MASSIVE drop off

5. Rogue One
6. Sith
7. Menace
8. Clones

I'm seeing TLJ tonight (Pacific Time) but one of my main worries going in is that I feel TFA set it up to fail in certain respects - especially regarding Luke's exile and Rey's back story, which imo cannot really be satisfactorily explained. I'm guessing that these aspects are the divisive bits?

dweezil2

I think I set my expectations too high!!!!  :'(
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Mattofthespurs

0-30 mins - WOO HOO STAR WARS!

31-120 mins - tumbleweed

121-154 WOO STAR WARS! (please forget the middle part. Here is some music from TESB which will give you fond memories).

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: radiator on 14 December, 2017, 04:17:41 PM
I think it's ridiculous how much people knock RotJ these days. Yeah, it gets a bit silly towards the end, and it's easily the weakest of the OT, but it's still a stone cold classic

It's tosh. Enjoyable tosh, but still tosh.
Made to sell action figures.
And ruin pretty much everything that went before it.
Which is why the series almost died out.
Because of the tosh.

Mattofthespurs

especially regarding Luke's exile and Rey's back story, which imo cannot really be satisfactorily explained. I'm guessing that these aspects are the divisive bits?

These bits are, imo, the best bits of the film and the heart of the movie.
It's the rest I could do without.

JLC

I think it's ridiculous how much people knock RotJ these days. Yeah, it gets a bit silly towards the end, and it's easily the weakest of the OT, but it's still a stone cold classic, and is jam-packed with iconic sequences and visuals. Imo it's so much of a tighter, better constructed and more memorable film than any of the modern SW movies its not even funny.

My personal rankings would be:

1. Empire (I think the original works best as a standalone movie, but this is my go-to if I want to watch a SW movie)
2. Star Wars
3. Jedi

Big drop off

4. Force Awakens

MASSIVE drop off

5. Rogue One
6. Sith
7. Menace
8. Clones

I'm seeing TLJ tonight (Pacific Time) but one of my main worries going in is that I feel TFA set it up to fail in certain respects - especially regarding Luke's exile and Rey's back story, which imo cannot really be satisfactorily explained. I'm guessing that these aspects are the divisive bits?
No. The divisive bit is the flashback to Aunt Beru & Ben Kenobi making out behind the moisture farm.

Mattofthespurs

Having said all that I have, and I really do hope I've not ruined anything for anyone, there are two stone cold classic moments in the film which are destined to go down in Star Wars history as the best of the franchise.

These bits gave me proper goosebumps.

I'll be interested if anyone agrees with the two bits I'm referring to.

Those I'm looking forward to seeing again.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 14 December, 2017, 04:59:52 PMWhich is why the series almost died out.
Because of the tosh.

More likely because George Lucas, at the time, wasn't interested in making any more and the storyline that had been set-up was concluded.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 14 December, 2017, 05:20:08 PM
Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 14 December, 2017, 04:59:52 PMWhich is why the series almost died out.
Because of the tosh.

More likely because George Lucas, at the time, wasn't interested in making any more and the storyline that had been set-up was concluded.

Including fluffy bears. Concluded with fluffy bears.

dweezil2

Hard to discuss the film without fear of spoilerness, suffice to say, the film was very uneven.

I can certainly see where the accusations of divisive will come from.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: dweezil2 on 14 December, 2017, 05:49:16 PM
Hard to discuss the film without fear of spoilerness, suffice to say, the film was very uneven.

My thoughts exactly.

Magnetica

Quote from: SIP on 14 December, 2017, 03:45:54 PM
Jedi is still my second favourite film (after Raiders.....though they tend to be interchangeable).

Yeah I tend to think of Raiders as my favourite film of all time too.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Magnetica on 14 December, 2017, 07:01:42 PM
Quote from: SIP on 14 December, 2017, 03:45:54 PM
Jedi is still my second favourite film (after Raiders.....though they tend to be interchangeable).

Yeah I tend to think of Raiders as my favourite film of all time too.

John Carpenter's The Thing is mine.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Mattofthespurs