Main Menu

Wonder Woman 2017

Started by Apestrife, 03 November, 2016, 08:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modern Panther

Quotegender bias is not totally one-sided.

No, it is not, but let's face it, you're just annoyed that Superman didn't punch more women in the face. 

Rara Avis

I can't believe that Rogue Earthlet *still* hasn't watched this movie, this is just trolling.

However in other news, WoWo2 has been confirmed. Huzzah!

Rogue Earthlet

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 July, 2017, 01:18:56 AM
Quote from: Rogue Earthlet on 25 July, 2017, 11:58:14 PMHi
Britain, France and the USA won WW1 without any help from super beings. The reason I mentioned another scenario, like the American Civil War, and I think I made this clear, is that the money to make WW would never have been made available unless there were 'safe', in Hollywood terms, villains. Germans got the role.

Watch the film, you muppet: the Germans aren't the villains in WW.  I'm going to spoil the shit out of it here because I'm sick of your wilful ignorance: [spoiler]the war is almost over when WW arrives in England, as in the real world Germany is almost bankrupt and the Armstice is imminent. Ares, the actual villain, in the person of British War Council member Sir Patrick Morgan, works to perpetuate the war by influencing a woman, Dr Maru, aka Dr Poison, to create a lethal gas and essentially restart the war. Because of the nature of her meeting with Trevor, Diana initially believes the allies to be the goodies she should support, but a chat with a Native American commando makes her realise that the US is just as capable of evil as the Germans: freed from Ares' influence in the end, German soldiers embrace Trevor's commandos.  The conflict WW is involved in is between the Amazons and Ares, not the Allies and Germany: Diana is the 'god killer', created to stop Ares and his War, not fight Germans: that's just Ares' distraction.[/spoiler]

And I watched as much of The Red Pill as I could stomach. It's intellectually dishonest propaganda masquerading as a documentary, lacking only the visual flair of Triumph of the Will. MRA is a stain on manhood and humanity in general.

I don't know where your comment comes from, but every review I've read, and that's many, has been totally different.

Rogue Earthlet

Quote from: Smith on 26 July, 2017, 09:06:01 AM
Okay,seriously now-I don't usually feel the need to point this out but-its just a movie.No grand conspiracy behind it,other then making money.

You've a good point there. All the talk from Ms Jenkins and co about it empowering girls and giving them a role model is just hype, what's called selling the sizzle not the sausage.

Rogue Earthlet

Quote from: Modern Panther on 26 July, 2017, 10:24:08 AM
Quotegender bias is not totally one-sided.

No, it is not, but let's face it, you're just annoyed that Superman didn't punch more women in the face.

No need for sarcasm.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Rogue Earthlet on 26 July, 2017, 11:07:25 PM
I don't know where your comment comes from, but every review I've read, and that's many, has been totally different.

At least he tried to watch it before commenting, a lesson you might do well to learn.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Quote from: Rogue Earthlet on 26 July, 2017, 11:07:25 PM

If you're referring to Wonder Woman, my comment comes from watching the film[spoiler]: the realisation that it isn't Wonder Woman + Allies=goodies Vs Germans=baddies, but rather Diana Vs War (personified in Ares, as a British toff)  is the central (if obvious) twist of the film - maybe reviewers were respecting that twist[/spoiler].

If you're referring to The Red Pill, also from watching the film, but if you want supporting comment,  the very first search result I get  on You Tube is an interview with Jaye which highlights the gormless disnigenuous crap at its heart: https://youtu.be/4vFpbjTaEYs. Apparently because victims of parental abuse can equally be male children, we need to stop blaming adult men for the (roughly) 85% of domestic violence they are responsible for, or the 50% of murdered women killed  by a current or former male partner. And on it goes.

Men are victims too, no argument, but they are still  overwhelmingly the perpetrators. Grow up and shove this contrarian bollocks.

Smith

Quote from: Rogue Earthlet on 26 July, 2017, 11:11:15 PM
Quote from: Smith on 26 July, 2017, 09:06:01 AM
Okay,seriously now-I don't usually feel the need to point this out but-its just a movie.No grand conspiracy behind it,other then making money.

You've a good point there. All the talk from Ms Jenkins and co about it empowering girls and giving them a role model is just hype, what's called selling the sizzle not the sausage.
You have failed the self awarness check.Do you wish to reroll?

Apestrife

Quote from: Rogue Earthlet on 26 July, 2017, 11:11:15 PMI haven't seen WW, but I've seen the trailer and heard plenty, so here's my thoughts...

Watch the film instead. Much more exciting than watching trailers or reading reviews. Also much easier to form an opinion. Wether you like it or not.

I thought the film showed a war without sides. I can also add that I'm of (some) german origin, and I took no offence what so ever to the portrayal of germans in the film.

Your post got me thinking, what's your take on Indiana Jones then? That one must be quite bothersome.

Apestrife

Quote from: Rara Avis on 20 July, 2017, 05:10:23 PM
I actually started reading the comic reboot and iirc when she is originally brought to Earth she is placed in a detention cell where animals bring her gifts from the other Gods including fast healing / invincibility. That might explain why she can't be hurt in our world.

Her bracelets are technically known as the Bracelets of Submission (ooh err!) and they also have an evolving history (More here if you're interested: http://www.cbr.com/wonder-womans-bracelets-15-things-you-need-to-know/)

Do we all know about her creators interest in polyamory and BDSM?

Read the N52 one by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang? Has a similar tone as the movie. More than it borrowing it's Zeus-infusion. Has some really interesting stuff on gender: Nurture vs nature stuff. The gods are great in it. Especially Ares. I like to think of it as if Jack Kirby wrote Wonder Woman.  Feels like equal parts Star Wars epic and Dark Knight Returns, with the greek pantheon written as pulpy poetry.

Another good one is Jill Thompson's Wonder Woman: The true amazon. A beautiful water painted fairytale. Great take on her origin story. There's a reason why it was recently awarded with an Eisner award.

If you want to read kink stuff, I'd suggest either Marston's or the recent Morrison stuff.

Rara Avis

Actually they are the DC Universe Rebirth ones..

What's the difference? I'm just getting into some of the DC stuff now so I'm not sure what the story is with canon, N52 and rebirth.

Can you elaborate on your Marston / Morrison comment please? I know a Marston biography came out a year or so ago that looked into this in great detail. Is that what you meant? Also the Morrison kinky origins story sounds very similar to the history in the rebirth comics.

Apestrife

Quote from: Rara Avis on 27 July, 2017, 09:58:15 AM
Actually they are the DC Universe Rebirth ones..

What's the difference? I'm just getting into some of the DC stuff now so I'm not sure what the story is with canon, N52 and rebirth.

Can you elaborate on your Marston / Morrison comment please? I know a Marston biography came out a year or so ago that looked into this in great detail. Is that what you meant? Also the Morrison kinky origins story sounds very similar to the history in the rebirth comics.

New 52 where the reboot that followed the "Flashpoint" event. Takes place before "Rebirth" (which seems to be an event to merge N52 with the old time line)

Brian Azzarello redid Wonder Woman's origin by making her the daughter of Hippolyta and Zeus. In order to get her closer to the greek gods, which he put some really nice twists to. His and Cliff Chiang's run is very much a stand alone story, and can be found in Wonder Woman Volumes 1 to 6. They're also releasing it in two ABSOLUTE format books (first one is out, next one early next year).

Here's a recap of almost the whole series. I suggest you don't watch beyond 1:40 for some MAJOR spoilers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70tPEH_p0MU

Here's a write up on why it's so good
https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/10/why-brian-azzarello-just-wrote-the-definitive-wond.html

Personally I think it's up there (and often above) with Morrison's Allstar Superman and Miller's Batman: Dark Knight.

Regarding kinks.

Marston had alot of things akin to this, roping and chaining up women, in his initial run of the character.

Where Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang goes more into the reformation message of the character, Grant Morrison's Wonder Woman: Earth 1 goes more into the kink stuff.

(yes, some of those amazons have been dressed up as deers and then gotten tied up.)

A good write up
http://www.avclub.com/article/wonder-woman-earth-one-returns-heroine-her-radical-234960

Rara Avis

These sound amazing and right up my street, I will definitely add them to my 'to read' list.

Thanks Apestrife.

Apestrife

Quote from: Rara Avis on 27 July, 2017, 02:17:16 PM
These sound amazing and right up my street, I will definitely add them to my 'to read' list.

Thanks Apestrife.

No problem. Enjoy!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wonder-Woman-Golden-Age-Omnibus-x/dp/1401264964/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1501165002&sr=8-8&keywords=wonder+woman+golden+age

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Absolute-Wonder-Woman-Azzarello-Chiang/dp/140126848X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1501165034&sr=8-2&keywords=wonder+woman+absolute

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wonder-Woman-Earth-OneTP-Vol/dp/1401268633/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501165021&sr=8-1&keywords=wonder+woman+earth+1

I think it's great that she get's to have all sorts of stories recently. She can be everything from a warrior to va-va-voom. What also makes Batman work so great in my opinion, everything from darkness to dorkiness. And also Dredd when to come to think of it.

Also if you got a young one interested in the character there's "THE LEGEND OF WONDER WOMAN". Basically a Disney-esque take on the character. Also Jill Thompsons "True amazon", which even has some lgbt elements and a good lesson thrown in for good measure.

Rara Avis

Thank you again!

I've no kids myself but I have a niece who might be into these in a few years, maybe my nephew too. I must ask him!