Main Menu

Why I like British Comics

Started by lwhitehead, 30 June, 2018, 09:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lwhitehead

lately I have bin reading old British Comics which I get my Torrent BTW, since I can't afford to buy them here in North America.

I like them for Two Reasons first off Research for ideas for a Comic series in 2000AD, and the Second reason is I like reading them.

but I got to get more for my collection,

LW

Leigh S

I also love them - you can buy a load of collections from Rebellion released in the US market from US comics shops, so I'm not sure why you need to torrent especially, other than to give you an idea of which collections to pick up?

broodblik

I went complete digital and now it is like a complete new world has opened to me. Where I stay it is now almost impossible to get 2000 AD in the news agencies. The 200 AD online shop has all the latest titles in digital format as well.

I prefer British Comics to the American ones because I can only absorb so much superheroes stories. The American market is flooded with the same character in different costumes. Every few years their is another rebirth of the same characters. Multiple cross-overs with gazillion characters that you never read about or new existed. 2000 AD is 100X superior to their American counterparts.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Leigh S on 30 June, 2018, 09:45:45 AMI'm not sure why you need to torrent especially, other than to give you an idea of which collections to pick up?

He's in North America where they don't have charity stores full of old Victors and Eagles.
"Don't torrent" is good advice, tho, as all of the scans of UK comics come from hobbyist archives that can be accessed online easily because they don't hide what they do, claiming their efforts as archival or academic.
Apart from that, a large chunk of UK comics history is lost because the publishers didn't keep the original material - understandably, as there is quite a lot of it - and may never be reprinted.  Digital archives may at some not too distant point be the only place where some of this stuff exists.

The Adventurer

If you're intending to pitch to Tharg's mighty organ at some point the only thing to really keep in mind... work in 5 page chapter of a 3,6, or 12 part length. And make sure each chapter ends in a cliffhanger.

Oh, and probably not a great idea to talk about pirating material to the people you might pitch too someday. Especially one with so much available officially digitally.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Professor Bear

I am told it is also not a great idea to mention this forum if one is pitching to Tharg.

lwhitehead

I'm honest person and told the reasons I get the Scans of British comics, back issues of Eagle, Valiant and Battle Action Weekly are very hard to get over here in Canada.

I've got the complete Toxic, Warrior,Crisis and Scream comic series.

LW

Richard

Tharg isn't looking for multi-episode submissions from new creators. He just wants four-page one-off Future Shocks. Read the submission guidelines.

lwhitehead

He just wants One Shots dam, there goes my ideas for series.

LW

The Adventurer

Quote from: lwhitehead on 01 July, 2018, 04:14:21 AM
LW

Its just the process you have to go though. You gotta walk before you can run, and 2000AD's editor wants to make sure you know the basics before green-lighting an unknown's opus.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Tjm86

Quote from: Richard on 01 July, 2018, 02:42:23 AM
Tharg isn't looking for multi-episode submissions from new creators. He just wants four-page one-off Future Shocks. Read the submission guidelines.

Hell, he even did a one-shot in the prog way, way back.  Bradbury on art I think.

lwhitehead

I'll use the Four Page One Shots but with One Character idea,

The reason I like British Comic is that they tackle subject that mainstream North America comics wouldn't touch.

LW

sheridan

Quote from: The Adventurer on 01 July, 2018, 06:00:58 AM
Quote from: lwhitehead on 01 July, 2018, 04:14:21 AM
LW

Its just the process you have to go though. You gotta walk before you can run, and 2000AD's editor wants to make sure you know the basics before green-lighting an unknown's opus.

The list of creators who went through the one-shots process is pretty lengthy and includes international celebs Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Grant Morrison (MBE), Mark Millar...

Judge Brian

Check your local library for 2000AD collections. If you check them out they may purchase newer collections.

The Legendary Shark

I have a really cool story about digitally preserving comics - a really cool story that I can't really tell on this forum.

It involves Dez Skinn.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]