Main Menu

Freeway Fighter: The Comic!

Started by NapalmKev, 17 December, 2016, 07:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NapalmKev

That's right! Coming in spring 2017 is a comic series based on the Fighting Fantasy Gamebook, Freeway Fighter.

Written by Ian Livingstone and first published in 1985, the book is set in a post-apocalypse, Mad Max style setting. Involving warring gangs and Scrounging for supplies.

The comic is an adaption of the aforementioned book, set around 18 months after the end of civilisation.

Initially touted as a Kickstarter project, the publishing rights have been secured by Titan Books.

Creative team: And I Ewington, Writer
                           Simon Coleby, Pencils and Inks
                           Len O'Grady, Colours
                           Jim Campbell, Lettering

Links: Jonathan Green Blog which also has a short animated preview.

Facebook page

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Colin YNWA

That could well be great fun. Looking forward to finding out more.

sheridan

Nice - I met Jonathan Green and Steve Jackson a few weekends ago - Livingstone had been booked but had to pull out for unspecified reasons :(

Jim_Campbell

I'll just mention that Ian is fairly directly involved with this project -- Andi is sharing feedback with us on practically every page, so it's as 'official' as it can get.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

GordonR

Which Car Wars rip-off came first; this or GW's Dark Future game?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: GordonR on 17 December, 2016, 07:55:59 PM

Dunno! Where does Battlecars fit into this? I fucking loved Battlecars...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Quote from: GordonR on 17 December, 2016, 07:55:59 PM

This was before Dark Future, by several years at least, although Battlecars preceeded it by a couple. Although obviously all four are riffing on Mad Max as much as each other.

GordonR

Timeline of those Mad Max post-apocalypse driving games:

Car Wars - 1980
Batttlecars - 1983
Freeway Fighter - 1985
Dark Future - 1988

Quite a busy little sub-genre of games, there.

TordelBack

Nice, cheers Gordon. I was a Car Wars man meself, many happy hours of four of us prematurely pimping our rides before pushing miniscule bits of cardboard around a Lego arena making 'splosion noises. You can keep yer Mario Kart and yer Tokyo Drift, it was all done earlier and better in my brother's room.

Richard

Mad Max wasn't post-apocalyptic until the second one, in 1981.

Professor Bear

In terms of comics, Eagle had several Mad Max-style outings over the years, at least two of which were called Roadblasters (one originating from a toy line, the other a Computer Warrior arc based on the arcade game), and there's been the Steve Dillon-illustrated Car Warriors miniseries - which was somehow related to the aforementioned Car Wars.
The board's own Ben Michael Byrne also had a post-apocalyptic webcomic about Mad Max style paggas called Kranburn which seems to have sadly gone walkabout from the web.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

This reminds me of the Fighting Fantasy-related Kickstarter I backed some while ago:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pjmontgomery/steve-jacksons-the-trolltooth-wars/

The "September 2015" delivery date gets ever closer. Must be almost September 2015 by now, surely?

Looking forward to reading Freeway Fighter whilst I wait.

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Satanist

Quote from: GordonR on 17 December, 2016, 11:13:39 PM
Timeline of those Mad Max post-apocalypse driving games:

Car Wars - 1980
Batttlecars - 1983
Freeway Fighter - 1985
Dark Future - 1988

Quite a busy little sub-genre of games, there.

see also the magnificent (from childhood memory) Thunder Road from 1986.

With this and Ian Livingstone writing a new FF book for the 35th anniversary its a good year to be a FF fan.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Michael Knight

So looking forward to this! 'Freeway fighter' being my all time fave fighting fantasy book.