Main Menu

The Stainless Steel Rat

Started by McGurk76, 23 January, 2018, 09:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dash Decent

My brother got all the SSR novels as they came out.  I can remember us both cracking up with laughter reading about young Jim's attempt to steal "Get Stuffed" bars in "...Is Born".
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

AlexF

I love the SSR novels, and the adaptations, real sad they never found room to do any more - I guess Carlos was just too busy drawing Strontium Dog and Judge Dredd to squeeze any in!

Slaine isn't adapted from any specific book as such, but it's more or less explicitly derived from various Irish and Celtic myths, isn't it? Some episodes more directly than others. And A.H.A.B. was very explicitly Moby Dick in SPACE. Does that count? I bet there are other literary things like that going on.

Heath C Ackley

I remember that the Rat novels were the first sci-fi series I read when I was a kid. Loved the humour and the action. It was funny how Carlos drew Jim in much the same way I had envisaged him in the stories - a Coburn-esque rogue.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

Leigh S

Carroll/Wllsher/Flint for the rest?  At least the book they skipped for "risque" content (which I think amounted to the faact the leads had kids, maybe out of wedlock shock horror?

In other not happening news, a film would be fantastic - it is all there to go

McGurk76

A feature on this in the latest copy of Infinity. Out now.

TordelBack

Quote from: Leigh S on 29 January, 2018, 04:40:44 PM
In other not happening news, a film would be fantastic - it is all there to go

A Netflix series instead, shirley? Better Call Jim.

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 23 January, 2018, 08:36:24 PM
Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 23 January, 2018, 05:26:42 PM
The next episode of the book club podcast is about the Stainless Steel Rat.
Due out Sunday 4th February.

Nice! I'll mention also that Space Spinner has covered the first two series in episodes 42, 43, 45, 46, 49, 51, and 52! Still a ways a way from the third series, which starts over 200 progs after the first two!

Space Spinner must be coming up to ...President by now (if not actually already recorded)...

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 31 July, 2018, 02:04:10 PM
Space Spinner must be coming up to ...President by now (if not actually already recorded)...

We're about 7 weeks away from it now, we'll start coverage in episode 122, mid-September!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Funt Solo

Prog 140 has a short article (half a page) titled "Where The Stainless Steel Rat Began"

Prog 173 has this:

Prog 405 has this:
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

If Jim di Griz is James Coburn (well, no if about it) then Angelina has to be Servelan (though with the di Griz widow's peak).