Main Menu

My new 10 minute portrait blog

Started by mygrimmbrother, 27 November, 2011, 07:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well its going as strong as ever and frankly I'm running out of superlatives about the stuff here. I was going to say the Sissy Spacek one was another particular stunner, but then I saw the Paul Wegener and John Turturro ones and remembered its silly to pull out particular ones!

Did you do something different with the Harpo one, it might be the white background but feels 'lighter' in other ways too, ways my none artist brain can't quite put a finger on?

mygrimmbrother

Maybe he's implying that the blog is pointless..?

Bhuna

Quote from: SpetsnaZ99 on 15 June, 2012, 08:47:56 AM
Take one iPad.
Set 'Brightness' to full
Set 'Auto-Lock' to 10 minutes
Browse 'Safari' for image and view 'Fullscreen'
Get piece of paper and pencil
Set 'Trace' to 'On'

I own 4 of the inked version up on m'wall, so how do you do that with an ipad other than use it to knock the nails into the wall!
twitter.com/Bhuna1967
twitter.com/pigdogpress

Jon

These are great, especially impressive to see together. I keep meaning to do something like this myself, but never manage sufficient discipline. I can only imagine how much you must've learned through doing this.

Look forward to seeing the finished collection. Maybe as a 2013 page-a-day desk calendar. ;)

mygrimmbrother

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 15 June, 2012, 12:12:18 PM
Well its going as strong as ever and frankly I'm running out of superlatives about the stuff here. I was going to say the Sissy Spacek one was another particular stunner, but then I saw the Paul Wegener and John Turturro ones and remembered its silly to pull out particular ones!

Did you do something different with the Harpo one, it might be the white background but feels 'lighter' in other ways too, ways my none artist brain can't quite put a finger on?

Cheers Colin, no nothing different with Harpo, just quicker and looser I think. I'm using a different pencil, though I'm not sure how much that affects them  ;)

mygrimmbrother

Quote from: Jon on 15 June, 2012, 12:17:34 PM
These are great, especially impressive to see together. I keep meaning to do something like this myself, but never manage sufficient discipline. I can only imagine how much you must've learned through doing this.

Look forward to seeing the finished collection. Maybe as a 2013 page-a-day desk calendar. ;)

And thanks Jon, much appreciated. Yep, it's an exercise in self-discipline as much as anything - much tougher than the actual drawing!

strontium71

I for one love the ones that you did for me as well!
...because I hate you.

DoomBot

Hey Grimm,

Glad to see you're at the half way mark. I said when you started that you'd set yourself a huge challenge and it's truly impressive to see you're still going strong. I think you've improved through the process too. Keep at it. Great job so far.

mygrimmbrother

Thanks Stront & Doombot, much appreciated. I've started doing them in les than 10 minutes now - set the stopwatch going on my phone but once I've started drawing I don't look at it until the skech is finished - keep finding only 4 or 5 minutes have passed. The results are much looser but that was what I was originally going for and think I'd started to lose because I was using the full 10 whether the drawing required it or not. So now it's a real buzz to see what I can achieve in as little time as possible - did Raymond Chandler in 3 mins 15 secs yesterday!

mygrimmbrother

mygrimmbrother

Mardroid

Dear  me. I never knew about the female hormones thing. Awful.

The Doctor Alt 8

You'll be setting up an easal in Covent Garden charging tourists next!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Mardroid on 01 July, 2012, 07:24:05 PM

Sackville park in Manchester, in the Gay Village, has an innovative statue of Alan Turing - a life-size bronze sitting on one of the benches. People sit next to him for photos, and when you're passing, it always looks like someone's in the park (okay, it freaked me out once while stumbling home drunk once, okay??)

and Grimmbro - I've just been looking back over your blog - phew I'm staggered! Lovely stuff. Drawing nice faces is a common enough skill, but capturing specific faces in a few lines is just weird magic. The doc has a point too - if you set up at a comic con I attended, I'd certainly pay (poorly) for a portrait.

Mardroid

Quote from: Mardroid on 01 July, 2012, 07:24:05 PM

Reading this back I realise that it could be misinterpreted. (Not that anyone has accused me of that here, it just struck me on rereading my post.) I wasn't saying the picture was awful. All the pictures I've seen on here are wonderful, even more so considering the short time limit..  I was referring to the information in the accompanying paragraph concerning Alan Turing being forced to take female hormones because of his homosexuality. Shocking and a tragic ending there.