Main Menu

1422 - Gun Law!

Started by DavidXBrunt, 17 January, 2005, 05:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

And another prog arrives to be pored over and picked apart.

Cover - Sorry Boo, all the ingredients are right but it just doesn't make a very nice cake.

Dredd - The Psi-div explanation might not please a lot of people but at least it's there, interesting to see if this is ever touched upon again. The art doesn't seem to serve the story very well though.

2nd C.B. - More of the same, consistant with last weeks. Didn't think we'd reach the final so quickly though.

Slaine - The cliffhanger is an atrocious pun and the main part feels like padding. But it looks like nothing else.

Cabals - The best thing in the prog. Action, progression for the ongoing story, character moments, foreshadowing of things to come, and the final page is awesome. Long may it continue, and may it stop at just the right time.

Dante - Now that we're 4 weeks into the tale it feels like things are really clicking into place. It's good to have Dante ack and it's an interesting scenario. What happens next? With both this and Cabals I really, really want to know.

Droid Life - Another atrociously obvious pun but brilliantly executed.

Letters - Not had time to read them but by jingo I'm glad there are some.

petesbeats

Cover:-  I love Boo Cook's work.  Happy to see him on Dredd and thought that he managed to pull this off sweetly.

Droid Life:- Thought the last helping was the best yet but it keeps getting better. Well done.

Dredd:- Tyed up the story and hopefully we'll see innocentia again.  Loved the art this week also.  Brashill has shined through this story.

2nd city blues:-  Still not minding it but it's the weakest link this week both in art and story.  It will need something really special to swing most peoples views i reckon.

Slaine:-  Brilliant art plodding story.  Just scanned this really.

Cabs:-  Again the best thing in the weekly.  We still don't know what Kostabi's links are and now we know others are trying to get rid of Demon Jenny.  She's gotta be a very powerful mama.  Check out the art as well.  Especially Ness getting rid of the rocker Nox.  Fantastic.  I think i wil need this in my diet for a few years to come.  Bring on next week.

Dante:-  Very good.  After the action packed issue last week the pace calms a bit and we are back on the story.  Want to know where this going as well.  Oh and Burnseys arts not bad either.

Apart from Slaine and Blues this is again a quality prog.  Artwork throughout is brilliant so lets keep it up Tharg eh! Yeah!

El Spurioso

>>"Slaine - The cliffhanger is an atrocious pun and the main part feels like padding. But it looks like nothing else"

...a Nintendo 64 Platformer?

Byron Virgo

What, like Donkey Kong?!?!

Slippery PD

One day Ill get my review in first.  

Cover- Theres something not quite right about it.  Not sure exactly what that is.  But there are some fantastic details in there.  Badge on the gun magazine, stars along the shoulder pad, LCD on gun, I could pull pieces out of that pic for hours.  So get Boo to do another....

Dredd - Wrapped up nicely, Psi Div explained away.  Very goood

2nd City Blues - Id rather have this than SinDex....  Not awful, not good.  Just OK.  Which is damning enough I suppose.

Slaine - Plodding plot, a brother of a brother of a brother.  Deery me, try harder.  Art that looks pretty but seems flat.  Id rather have Langley do covers, I just dont think his strip work, works...

Cabals - Absolutley f*cking brilliant.  Thats it.  Anything else seems trite and that final panel?  I nearly fell off my chair.

Dante - good solid work.  Art excellent.  But Id really have him back after the Tsar...  though this intrigues.

Overall - good prog with an excellent Cabs episode.

Yer Slips

Byron Virgo

Hmmm...I've only glanced at my prog at lunchtime, but I thought Boo's cover was really good. He took what would generally be a bog standard 'Dredd pointing gun at readers' and made it much more interesting (well, he's facing a slightly different angle at least!). I'd love to see Boo attempt some Dredd with his new style. Plus, I love the Samurai helmet period of Dredd when Higgins and McCarthy were drawing it, so that's a nice touch too.

crazy comic guy

"Dredd -  The art doesn't seem to serve the story very well though."

i like it. it's different from Flints (amazing) straight and bold lines and finishes this saga off perfectly.

Don't hold out too much hope for the letters page.

thrillpowerseeker

cover..standard fare
Dredd..above standard fare
2cb..was expecting the ball to explode not just go spiky..above standard fare
Slaine..EXCELLENT..top thrill
Cab inc..standard fare
Dante..Quality fare..as usual

The Amstor Computer

Quick post-prog impressions:

Dante, Caballistics and Dredd = aces

Second City Blues and Slaine = arses

Si - heh, like it. All the blurring and bright colours - it's like a bargain-basement N64 FPS :-)

Queen Firey-Bou

yaeh yeah but what about the envelope , why no-one review the envelope ?  saving mine for later, its a nice purpley blue this week.

Proudhuff

Spoilers...

Cover fine, I like the way Dredd shoots all over Cal Inc and Dante the text that is and this sight above the barcode.

Peef saw that coming...

Dredd like the logo now, good story art fine. I hope the Daily Mail gets a peek at the 3rd page, must we throw this filth at our pop kids?
Psi div get a roasting. Psi-judge Ernie? nice.

2nd city, just skimmed it, wouldn't that horses head need a thicker neck?

Slaine  couldn't care less sorry chums!!

Cal Inc... great, the guy on the island escapes?! any chance of a quick recap about Kostabi?

Dante? What would the Daily Mail make of that, more T&A tosh without homour

Nice envelope, but should be pushed a bit more

Ol' Huffnstuff

DDT did a job on me

Dan Kelly

Late Review from me.

Cover.  Agree about the detail- lovely.  And you can see that Boo is a fan of Ewins & McCarthy.  However the whole doesn't grab me.  Oh and the helmet fit is all skew-whif.

Dredd.  Nice dark coda to Total War.  Not seen Dredd this dark for a while.  Look forward to whats coming next.  Really like Brashill's current work as well.

2nd CB.  Still don't liike the art.  And this week is exposition central (or should there be a centaur pun there).  Down again.

Slaine.  Lovely art.  naff story.  Shoulda been canned a fair while back

Cabs.  Oh yes.  We like a Lot.  Is Dom selling the last page?

Dante.  Apart from the fact that I've lost track of where we are, Im liking the tale.

Overall not a bad prog at all.  Though I could do withou 2cb.

Oh, and sparky blue lightning from the envelope seal.  Had heard about this but never seen before.  Good call Bou.

Dan

GordonR

"I'd love to see Boo attempt some Dredd with his new style."

Hot Boo Cook Dredd action coming up in a few months, earthlets!  I've seen a couple of pages of the first episode.  Very yummy.

Will I. Cooling

I like Brashill's work I just don't think it totally suits the strip...I would have rather had MacNeil come back and do it.

Yay for Boo Dredd, should be bootiful (sorry)

Will
The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

Dudley

Slaine ends with BUNNY BOILING?  For skev's sake, Tharg, this old knacker's headed for the glue factory of woman-hating tripe...  (Think I'm mixing my metaphors?  Check Slaine!)  JESUS this is awful.

Second City Blues, after having had the experience of the pigshit shower that is Slaine, seems positively inoffensive.  Muddled and with utterly inappropriate art, but inoffensive.

Thanks God for P14 - I know I've heard the joke before, but it still made me laugh like a drain....

Dredd was on top form, again, again.  Unsure about the Brashill art - it's great art, but was this the right showcase for it?  Still, wonderfully cold ending to this little tale.  More, please!

Dante rocked my world.  Dirty ol' man.  Can't wait to see how the whole Katarina/Nikolai thing plays out... really have no clue where it's going.

Caballistics provided my highlight moment of the week - Nessy dealing with the Nox in true hardman style.  I want this man vs Demon Jenny, now, please.

CHRIST Slaine was bad.  How bad?  Put it this way.  I open my prog and discover within it:
- An unearthed Millar Dredd strip, with muddy art by Nick Percival.
- WireHEADS III
- Zippy Couriers The Return
- Start of a new Space Girls 14-week run
- Slaine
- A cover featuring Sylvester Stallone
- ...and Tharg's been replaced by Men in Black again.

Slaine would STILL be the worst thing in it.