Main Menu

Meg 362 - Brit-Cit's most haunted

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 11 July, 2015, 08:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonn Clarke

No thread yet? I haven't read it yet cos I'm on me holiyers but here's the Alex Ronald cover

Proudhuff

All is good in the land of the megazine, Lawless delivers a punch I never thought it had, Judge Dredd Vs Zorro contd apace,Demon Nic is a pleasure to behold and Storm Warning hold's its own ( I knew her sister Gale: a singer with the Rezillos but that's another story) A promo for GRennie's White Trash and Jeff Anderson interogation and Dreddline finish it all off, all wrapped in a loverly Alex cover. That continues the Logo cover up debate  :D
DDT did a job on me

ZenArcade

Alex Ronald isn't putting a foot wrong with his recent covers. The Tharg Nerve Centre with Mek Quake was a thing o real beauty. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Proudhuff

Oooops almost forgot! The floppy is the wonderful The Vort in all its glory including the big off kilter left-field reveal a the end.
DDT did a job on me

Banners

Banners

And then just a few pages later, Ezquerra drawing Dredd. BANG!

sheridan

Quote from: Proudhuff on 11 July, 2015, 09:16:52 PM
All is good in the land of the megazine, Lawless delivers a punch I never thought it had, Judge Dredd Vs Zorro contd apace,Demon Nic is a pleasure to behold and Storm Warning hold's its own ( I knew her sister Gale: a singer with the Rezillos but that's another story) A promo for GRennie's White Trash and Jeff Anderson interogation and Dreddline finish it all off, all wrapped in a loverly Alex cover. That continues the Logo cover up debate  :D

Brilliant cover (declaration of interest - my favourite colours are green and black).

The Rezillos - now what was that song they did back in 1978?

Oh, yes - 2000AD

Ghost MacRoth

Cover:  The standard level of awesome form Alex, if only he could animate! ;)

Dredd:  Corporate bastards, heroes of the people, and the law trying to make sense of it.  Crackin' stuff.

Interrogation:  Zzzzzz....

Demon Nic:  Okay....started well, but the panel layout is already beginning to get on my tits.  The art is clean, but....meh.  Script wise, not thrilled, but also not bored, looking forward to seeing how it plays out, and what it intends to establish itself as.

Trash Talk: Great.... another block of pages containing no stories, written or drawn. 

Storm Warning: Might just be me being too literal, but I didn't quite get the sequence with the tree.....they arrive at the pit, there's nothing around, then there's the branch/tree/root thing with the judge on the end of it, and another lying by it's base.....a small matter, and as I say, likely me being too literal. Other than that, enjoying this tale.

Lawless: An early twist on the twist!  Wonder where it's all going, and happy to be along for the ride.  Really liking Winslade's art on this.

8 pages of ads seems a tad much though, especially when most of them are for 2000ad. 
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Proudhuff

Quote from: sheridan on 12 July, 2015, 12:36:58 AM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 11 July, 2015, 09:16:52 PM

Brilliant cover (declaration of interest - my favourite colours are green and black).

The Rezillos - now what was that song they did back in 1978?

Oh, yes - 2000AD

haha! my lost youth,,,,
DDT did a job on me

The Adventurer

Demon Nic:  Okay....started well, but the panel layout is already beginning to get on my tits.  The art is clean, but....meh. 

Paul Grist is, in my estimation anyway, an absolute master of page layouts. The things he can do to give a sense of space, without ever using a panel border. Your eye just knows where it's suppose to go across a page. The man is a page payout genius.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Adventurer on 16 July, 2015, 11:13:45 PM
Paul Grist is, in my estimation anyway, an absolute master of page layouts. The things he can do to give a sense of space, without ever using a panel border. Your eye just knows where it's suppose to go across a page. The man is a page payout genius.
Admittedly I haven't read this month's Meg yet but last month's Demon Nic was my first experience with Paul Grist and I found the all black, borderless layouts supremely confusing. Every time I'd keep reading across then realise I was supposed to go down (or vice versa) and get annoyed with it.
We never really die.

DrJomster

Loved everything this month... AGAIN! Brilliant work, droids! No Mek Quake for you!  :thumbsup:

Stunning cover btw.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Hawkmumbler

I'm really not that fussed by Storm Warning. It's all a little tried and samey, a slap dash mixture of Brit-Cit dreariness and token PSI romp. Not my cup of tea at all.

Everything else is on fire though, and leading the burning charge is Dredd with the GGGGGRRRENNIE and Ezquerra on creatuve duties. A superb run, if I may say so, with a lot of potential to become a fan favourite with a strong mix of corporate espionage, cultural and racial inequality, and the return of a cult character (in expy format). Glrious stuff, and perfect for Mr. Rennie's swan song.

Lawless is top hole as well. Superb story, sublime art, actualy following a surprisingly similer plot to Dredd right now and a corcking 180 twist. Their is nothing to dislike here, all is good in the world of Dan Abnett.

And Demon Nic has finally run me around, so much so that i'm already looking at buying the first Jack Staff trade, simly because i'm in love with Grist's unconventional panel structure and narrative flow. Very unique, and a very stricking art style to accompany it.

The floppy was bloody good as well.  :D

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Adventurer on 16 July, 2015, 11:13:45 PM
Your eye just knows where it's suppose to go across a page.

Mine doesn't.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dog Deever

Really stand out cover- I'm fond of green/ black as well. As far as logo covering- I don't care as my comics are reserved at the newsie, so I don't need to look for it but the picture itself would look silly with the logo slapped over it really, as the dude's head would be obliterated. Also thumbs up for the new logo from me (not that these things matter greatly, I buy my comic for the content not the logo).

Dredd's great. Some of the supporting cast are superb in this, Mahler in particular is an unmitigated bastard which really helps underline how much I'm rooting for El Maldito. So often this character would be some hulking, brutal faced bloke and I like that the bullying psycho-bastard is a woman- kind of refreshing and cliché-busting; I can't wait for her to get Maldito'd- That's the power of great storytelling- characters you root for and characters you want to die. The art is Carlos- there really isn't any need to say how great it is, but I will- it is great.

Texty Stuff- mostly, I flip through this section each month looking at pictures, though I do read interviews occasionally. I don't recall Jeff or any of his work really. I have some unused book tokens, so I may keep an eye out for White Trash.

Demon Nic- I find I want to like it (my first experience with Paul Grist too), but I'm in the "he's not a layout genius" camp. It's awkward to read and follow and there's so much wasted space and inevitable page bloat that's becoming all too familiar in the Meg- though that's really the fault of a previous particularly tiresome (and seemingly never-ending) 'thrill'. Still though, I'm reading (sometimes in the wrong panel order) and I like the crude, simplistic and angular style of the artwork- it reminds me of a few old stickers I have plastered over my guitar-amp, which is nice. Despite its flaws in readability, I'm still pretty positive about this and I'll keep at it.

Not so Storm Warning. I stopped reading it last month when the guy used 'Exorcism rounds' (brought along because he thought 'they might come in handy') to pop caps in demon ass and dispatch the supernatural with ease and firepower.
NO.
The art last month looked like it might have been good if the colour palette hadn't been so bloody awful, but this month even the art looks rushed with the latter half of the episode missing so many backgrounds. I think I've had enough of this strip already, as I have to confess to flipping past without really reading.

Lawless is my pick of the Meg again- really, really great art- the Winslade droid should be getting extra oil rations as his thrill-power output is outstanding. The story continues apace with no shortage of action, I really didn't expect [spoiler]Pettifer getting offed so fast, she's a great foil for Lawson's badassery[/spoiler].

Floppy: The Vort- meh. It was, I guess, inevitable as part of the whole Lobster Random collection. At least Carl Critchlow reappears for, though so does Fucking Harlem Fucking Heroes- even Steve Dillon and Kev Hopgood couldn't save this tripe. Yet another largely unread floppy again I'm afraid.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.