Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

So now Fox has seen the end of the Final Solution, is it time for him to watch the Spaced episode that references that moment?

I was going to look for a video clip of the scene, but couldn't find it.  I did find this though.  (it's a band called The Death of Johnny Alpha - not listened to it yet, because I'm still listening to today's podcast).

sheridan

I hear the Doghouse echoing tonight,
But only hear whispers of three mutie na-a-ation
The moonlit wings reflect the Lyran stars that guide muties towards salvation
I stopped a blind man on the way
Hoping to find some old forgotten spells or ancient conjuring

The wild Dogs cry out in the night
As they grow restless, longing for some Stontium company
I know that I must do what's right
As sure as the Doghouse rises like revenge above Salisbury Cathedral
I seek to cure what's deep inside, frightened of this thing that I've become

Hurry Dog, its waiting there for you

It's gonna take a lot to drag me away from you
There's nothing that a hundred Kreelers or more could ever do
I bless the blood sacrifice down in New Britain

Leigh S

Given how long it's taken to get done, maybe the "Finally" Solution is appropriate....

And even with taking this long, how bloody random is the wrap up (Alpha's death notwithstanding)?

The Mutant majority Countries arent just going to stand by? This really doesnt go anywhere or add anything as far as I can tell.  The Doghouse blows up conveniently above the villains, McNulty conveniently blows up the other villain, for a 28(?) part story, the loose ends are more snipped than tied.  But as you get across well, the handling of Alpha's actual death, or at least the manner in which we flashback over his life, is very well handled.... Just a shame that (once again) they had no clear plan - see original Hit Era Rogue Trooper before it and the current Friday Rogue Trooper reboot for more of the same.  I love me some Steve MacManus, but his claim that at the time he didn't really see the damage in killing off Alpha as his eyes were focused on how comics were supposedly growing up over in Crisis and (putting some words into his mouth here admittedly) this was just some kids thing from a redundant era... gah!

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: sheridan on 14 September, 2020, 08:04:10 PM
I bless the blood sacrifice down in New Britain

This is excellent!

Quote from: Leigh S on 14 September, 2020, 08:04:33 PM
Given how long it's taken to get done, maybe the "Finally" Solution is appropriate....

And even with taking this long, how bloody random is the wrap up (Alpha's death notwithstanding)?

It is a bit of a quick wrapup after all the time we spent getting there (I've just read End of Days so I might be grading on a curve here) But also I could see Sagan et al not anticipating that international mutants might not be happy about his plan, we definitely criticized it as he rolled it out, I think he had the fanatic's problem of not really thinking his plan through. For the general handling of Alpha's death, I'd try to make an excuse that generally comics storytelling is a bit by the seat of their pants in this era, but the year-long build, climax, and aftermath of Necropolis sort of shows the lie there.

In our thrilling two hundred and twenty third episode we're taking a look at the 1991 Rogue Trooper Annual, the first and only Rogue annual! While it does feature some classic Rogue tales, this is very much a coming out party for the new Friday version of Rogue Trooper, as written by Michael Fleisher!

This episode Conrad is joined by Sheridan of the Back Prog Hack Blog! Every day Sheridan reviews some classic 2000AD content, usually a prog, but he's also covered Starlord, Tornado, and even thrill related albums! You can find it in this very forum!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Leigh S

Yeah, GFD (acronym!) got so much shit talk over the years, but no one else ever made Rogue work (except where sticking fairly closely to his template) - we won't get into the Acronym for Michael Fleischer....

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling two hundred and twenty-fourth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 688-691 of 2000AD, covering July & August 1990. This episode Dredd is up a creek WITH a paddle, the Harlem Heroes are making strange alliances, Medivac is going even deeper undercover, Dry Run debuts and gets weird, and The Horned God returns for some bad-ass battles!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Funt Solo

Quote from: Leigh S on 18 September, 2020, 01:07:52 PM
...we won't get into the Acronym for Michael Fleischer....

This really happened at a Scottish University:

- Boss: We've decided to alter the grading scheme from "A, B, C, D, F" to "A, B, C, D, MF, F".
- Me: You can't call them that!

(It stood for "Marginal Fail", and meant "Fail, but only just!" Like a nice fail. For mofos.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Lobo Baggins

Often in the 90s it felt like I'd missed an episode of a story between progs - Dry Run is the only story that made me feel like I'd often missed an episode between panels.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Leigh S

Glad you did the Apocalypse War in the Primer!

The invisible  garroting in Block Mania was due to some last minute censorship I believe - can't have the kids all rabbing the nearest length of piano wire....

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Leigh S on 26 September, 2020, 08:41:38 AM
Glad you did the Apocalypse War in the Primer!

The invisible  garroting in Block Mania was due to some last minute censorship I believe - can't have the kids all rabbing the nearest length of piano wire....
Thanks! Hopefully the reduced Necropolis recap still makes sense!

In our thrilling two hundred and twenty-fifth episode we continue our journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with the 1990 2000AD Annual.  This is the fourteenth and final 2000AD Annual, and this time we're rocking the Gasbah with new stories from Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog, Night Zero, and the final Moon Runners adventure! (For real this time)

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

Richard S.

thanks for the invite to be on the show - it was a lot of fun!
For 2,500+ other posts about all aspects of British comics then why not check out my blog at
https://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.com/

Follow me on twitter @richardandsheaf

Richard S.

For 2,500+ other posts about all aspects of British comics then why not check out my blog at

Richard S.

SpaceSpinner2000

Thanks again Richard, love seeing all this classic stuff! Speaking of which...

In our thrilling two hundred and twenty-sixth episode we continue our journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with the 1990 Judge Dredd Annual.  This is the eleventh and final Dredd Annual, and features a truly amazing Judge Dredd/Strontium Dog crossover, and extremely early work from future master script droid Dan Abnett!

This time I'm joined by our own THE MONARCH!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Spotify

The Monarch

it was an absolute blast to finally spill the beans of my origins of how i got to be the guy i am today!

heres a link to my lets play channel which should eventually be home to the mind the oranges marlon podcast if me and kaz ever find the lost episodes of it. saying that we do plan to record an episode on the first two issues of the uk sonic the comic which snatched me away from 2000ad during the early 90s soon

https://https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9eJnRedAJcUSWu9qMoWDkw/videos

again it was an absolute thrill to be on the pod for the third time lets hope theres a forth in the future :D