Main Menu

Megazine 401 - Grave New World!

Started by Freddychopper, 13 October, 2018, 09:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 17 October, 2018, 05:27:21 PM
Th art on Lawless just blows me away - absolutely outstanding and the highlight of the prog for my money

That double page spread was just about the most jaw-dropping thing I've seen in comics for ages.

SBT

broodblik

The meg again is of high quality and Lawless is the stand-out strip. The art on Lawless is just plain awesome.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Pretty damned fine Meg elevated by another absolutely classic episode of Lawless. I mean seriously can this series find new ways to get better? While we're seen Tharg present battles and desperate last stands countless times before, Abnett and Winslade manage to make it seem fresh, like something you've never seen before and in doing so make it terrifying and matter immensely.

Just sublime stuff.

There's lots of other good stuff to be enjoyed but in honesty it all pales compared to that.

The Dredd is solid if not astonishing. I'm really enjoying Storm Warning this time round, a much more interesting story than the first outing enhanced by some fantastic art by Broxton. I really enjoyed the first outing of Blunt and to date  this one hasn't disappointed either. Finally Torture Garden is suitably chilling and continues the absolute redemption of the Dark Judges. The reason for Death World's distinct building is explained with brilliant horror.

Good text articles and I've started the pretty decent floppie which has the bonus of being new material to me... though wish we'd get back to the stuff from the archieve... maybe its selling to well and they decided they can squeeze more trades who knows?

So the rest of the Meg is in rude health but Lawless is something else

Proudhuff

a solid Meg, with the battle in Lawless unexpected and beautifully executed (sorry) hoping it doesnt go all 'Bobby stepping out the shower'  on us. 
DDT did a job on me

Magnetica

Some good, some not so much this month.

I don't think that art style really suits Dredd. I couldn't tell much difference to the protagonists in the panel where they first realise they are aging.

Storm Warning was ok, but for all the talking, it didn't really tell us much more than we knew from the last episode.

I am afraid Blunt is not for me. I have a vague recollection of what happened in the first series but am not invested enough in it to go back and refresh my memory.

Dominion is good. Maybe it is just me, but I don't think the new look Dark Judges look that much different to before.

The best thing, as ever is Lawless. Dabnett really is Tharg's MVP at the moment.

sheridan

Quote from: SIP on 14 October, 2018, 08:30:25 PM
Quote from: Bolt-01 on 14 October, 2018, 04:45:51 PM
As much as I'm enjoying The Torture Garden- I do wish there was more 'definition' to Nick Percivals art. Too much of it makes me think my eyesight is worse than it is, which is a shame as his storytelling is first rate and his designs are superb.

I had that very conversation with my son yesterday morning whilst looking at it........I really like the art....but I just wish it had a sharp line in it. It's like it's always blurry and just out of focus. I know it's the style, but it personally it makes it a little harder to read as my eyes feel like they're constantly working overtime.

Turn it into an educational experience (not knowing how old your son is).  Tell him that if he doesn't look after his eyes then everything will look like that wrap-around cover (well, a bit dark and blurry, not covered in rotting flesh).

Proudhuff

Eeeek! I think you may have hit the bolt on the head nail, sorry nail on the head Bolt!
That's probably why I'm not keen on the art.. its me worrying the old peepers are wearing out  :'(
DDT did a job on me

karlos

Quick question, chaps: did Johnny Woo ever reappear beyond the stories in this month's floppy?

Steve Green

Think it was just that and a Hong Tong Ghost Story

https://shop.2000ad.com/series/story/a-hong-tong-ghost-story

Seem to recall some Psi-Division conspiracy plot thread that was left hanging.

karlos

Thanks a million for the reply Steve!

Tiplodocus

Hang on, so the Hungry Ghost festival story in the floppy wasn't the only one?

Anyway, enjoyed this Meg a lot. Oddly the least of the stories was the DREDD tale itself. I don't normally like Dark Judges tales but enjoying this one. I've stopped reading Lawless until I've caught up with the collections.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!