Main Menu

Prog 1623: Dead Man Walking

Started by Leigh S, 14 February, 2009, 12:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Strontium Dog continues to shine - shame Sniffer Martinez wasn't on the list, but otherwise, this more than makes up for the oddity that is Grey suit, my lack of interest in Red Seas and the annoyance of Marauders revcycled plot devices from DAnte meet completely wrong MegaCity - (her dad is a mutie now?)

Of course, the problems will start for me once Stront finishes...

I, Cosh

Quote from: "Leigh Shepherd"Marauders revcycled plot devices from DAnte meet completely wrong MegaCity - (her dad is a mutie now?)
Where are you getting that from? I must've missed something. At least there was some suit action this week.

Anyway, another Prog that meets the hallowed "not bad" test, although I'm glad we're getting to a changeover now as Stront is the only thing that's really pumping my nads at the moment, although Dredd's really picked up the pace in the past couple of weeks. We get some heavy duty basil in this instalment and, at last, something from the villain's POV.

I was a bit disappointed with the cover. It looked better on Dave Taylor's blog post. Here it looks like it's been overexposed with all the bright lights making me squint.

Red Seas finishes on something of a cliffhanger! I hope it's back soon. Actually, maybe we should have the next instalment of Isaac Newton's World of Adventure before returning to Jack and the boys.
We never really die.

Toni Scandella

I am enjoying the Dredd and, of course, Strontium Dog.  Mauader is also keeping me entertained.

Red Seas and Greysuit remain unread.  Ths is not me dismissing them, I will read them in full at some point soon (I often find this works better for me with some stories) but I've skipped them for the past few weeks.

Plus, Low Life back next week!  Dirty Frank! D'israeli! Yay! Is three Mega City One stories in one prog not getting a little into the territory the Meg was originally designed for though?

Pete Wells

Ever the optimist, I really enjoyed this prog. I think every strip had a stand out panel for me so i'm going to pop 'em at the end of each review.

Cover - Class. I love Dave Taylor's work and I thought his use of white and colour on this was superb. The light of Megacity One shining through Rohmer's head was amazing and his dead eyes were sooo creepy. A hit!

Dredd - Yeah, Basil-o-rama but enjoyable Basil nevertheless. That Rohmer is a nasty piece isn't he? Stand out panel - Marshall does a mean Lawmaster and I like the one on page 2, panel three, so there!

Greysuit - Fucking nuts, and I mean really mental! If the Daily M*il got it's grubby hands on this we'd be finished! I read this entire episode with my mouth gaping, she had sheep's eye's!?! I've said it every week, I can't help liking this strip despite myself and this week was no different. Sheep's eye's!?! Stand out panel? Sheep's ey- no, not really, the cool depiction of Blake climbing the balcony.

Marauder - Still loving this too, perhaps I should read superhero comics after all? Elson is again brilliant here, the first panel made me gasp! I emailed the artdroid t'other day to tell him how much I was enjoying his work and he kindly wrote back saying he had a ball drawing the strip, it definitely shows.

Red Seas - A cliff-hanger indeed! Top work from both droids here. For some reason I hope Red Seas is a finite series, although I really enjoy it, I think if it ended soon it would get the kudos it deserves. Top panel - Erebus on page 2. Lovely.

Stront - Cor, a nostalgia fest and no mistake! A superb story with superb art, there's not a lot else to say! Stand out panel - despite the best mutant Carlos has ever drawn being on pg1, panel 3; panel of the prog goes to a simple depiction of a piece of paper - a piece of paper that has so many glorious names on it I was grinning like a loon when reading it!

Great prog, looking forward to the glorious D'Isreali art on Low Life next prog, what will he bring us this time?

Leigh S

Quote from: "The Cosh"
Quote from: "Leigh Shepherd"Marauders revcycled plot devices from DAnte meet completely wrong MegaCity - (her dad is a mutie now?)
Where are you getting that from? I must've missed something. At least there was some suit action this week.

Well ,look at the size of him - his hands are bigger than yer manss head. Either that, or Marauder is the mutant - either way, its wrong.  Recycled plottage for me is the superpowered rogue caught between the two major powers falls for one of the major powers daughter.

Dandontdare

Loved the cover - though It's odd to name check a character who hasn't yet been named

Judge Dredd - Continues to entertain. [spoiler]So do you become unkillable once your "life-force" has been sucked out? I hope not, cos that's daft.[/spoiler] I guess we haven't gotten to the bottom of this one yet.

Greysuit.
Another silly slice of grade-A bollox from the Master of the Insane Backstory and Keeper of the Ludicrous Plot Device. Half this episode seems designed to lead up to a weak and pointless 'silence of the lambs' reference, which is then repeated in case we haven't quite got it. Am I the only one who keeps wondering where I've heard the name "Dunstan Wood" before? Google is no help, so I must be confusing it with something else. A mash-up of Birnam Wood and Dunsinane perhaps? Or wasn't there an animal-themed fantasy book with a similar title?

Marauder. I didn't think he was a mutant, just drokkin' huge! If you consider this as a "Lego" story (ie a whole collection of recognisable sci-fi characters, items and events, assembled to make a whole new story), then just think of him as the Kingpin. Still really enjoying this strip, it's undemanding but fun, and I am bowled over with Elson's art.

Red Seas.
I didn't like this once upon a time, but it has really grown on me. Loved the twist on the whole Caliban/Ariel/Prospero relationship - I'm with the Scottish dude here "Now I did nae expect that!"

Strontium Dog. Didn't think this could get better, [spoiler]but this was an awesome mutie-reunion! Didn't recognise all of the names on that list, but great to see the Weerd brothers, another member of the Fuzz family, and of course Kid Knee (fresh from his medical  :D !) The guy with the lips is clearly a dispensable "redshirt" because we know McNulty survives, and I'm pretty certain I've seen references to the Torso from Newcastle and Evans the Fist in other stories.[/spoiler]

Final word about the future shop ad - Bit pricey innit? I mean, 25 quid for the collected (paperback) version of a Meg feature? Even the GNs seem costlier than Waterstones or Amazon - odd, considering you're buying them direct from the publisher.

House of Usher

Duncton Wood: Watership Down, but with moles.
STRIKE !!!

Dandontdare

Quote from: "House of Usher"Duncton Wood: Watership Down, but with moles.
Yes, that's the one!

And I'd also like to agree about
Quote from: "Pete Wells"the best mutant Carlos has ever drawn being on pg1, panel 3
- even better than those mutant fish from last week's cover!

Mardroid

Cover:  Bright, and kind of surreal, but a great image. Very unusual looking gun, look at the triple barrels (not that that's a bad thing.)

Dredd:  Some freaky stuff but good.

Greysuit: Zil is a freak. Intersting little twist at the end. What happened to the ginger ninja? I though they'd teamed up... maybe he'll show up next prog.

Marauder:  Not a lot happens, but what happens is action filled. Good.

The Red Seas:  Didn't see that one coming.  ([spoiler]I'm not sure I get it, but I figure it was an illusion or shape-shifting thing going on? I.e. guy has essentially taken the form of his sister/mother?[/spoiler]) The ending seemed a bit abrupt, but it's been a good chapter overall.

Strontium Dog:  I thought he'd probably raise an army this issue,[spoiler]but I figured it would be from the populace. Makes sense to call on other SD agents though, albeit a lot of toing and froing. I was wondering how 100 names ended up as 5, but I assume it's a diversionary tactic as Moon's got his spies. (Otherwise why bother getting them to sign if he was planning on cheating them out of the cash? No point making enemies for the sake of it, and we know this one is personal, it's not about the bounty.)[/spoiler]
I need to hunt down the SD files I think. Some of the stuff and people you're talking about is kind of missing me (i.e. the deal with the Stixxs etc.)

Oh and I find it an amusing and nice idea that Precious has a different hair colour each time we see her. I guess a triple plumpied minx can be forgiven for vanity. Hee.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: "dandontdare"[spoiler]Strontium Dog.The guy with the lips is clearly a disposable "redshirt" because we know McNulty survives, and I'm pretty certain I've seen references to the Torso from Newcastle and Evans the Fist in other stories.[/spoiler]

On the contrary, young man, he's nothing of the sort - don't you know your Strontinuity?

Blubberlips is destined to die during [spoiler]Outlaw[/spoiler] when he gives lip to [spoiler]Nelson B Kreelman[/spoiler] and as a result is permanently silenced by [spoiler]the Stixes[/spoiler].

The list of Stronts also made me grin like a loon - best bit was learning that Egghead's real name is 'Egbert.' :)
@jamesfeistdraws

Dandontdare

I stand corrected! Didn't remember him, but thanks for reminding me about Egghead -[spoiler]doesn't he get 'cracked' by Johnny for refusing to back out of the Kreelman job?[/spoiler] Are all the stronts on this list from other stories? Vince Scampi, Eddie Little, Spud Murphy, and Dave No Nose all sound familiar, but I can't place many of the others. And is Ted Dancer Jack's mutant descendant?

May start buying the Agency Files once I'm more up to date with the Casefiles (and Nemesis, and ..and....)

IndigoPrime

Quote from: "dandontdare"May start buying the Agency Files once I'm more up to date with the Casefiles (and Nemesis, and ..and....)
Frankly, I'd get the Stront ones first. It's a finite run, after all, and those five books are a classic series, with very few low points but plenty of highs.

Roger Godpleton

WHOO! DA BISH IS BA - Wait, he's not? Damn.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

I, Cosh

Quote from: "Leigh Shepherd"
Quote from: "The Cosh"
Well ,look at the size of him - his hands are bigger than yer manss head. Either that, or Marauder is the mutant - either way, its wrong.  Recycled plottage for me is the superpowered rogue caught between the two major powers falls for one of the major powers daughter.
Well, he's an aging heavyweight fighter and Marauder's a wiry teenager. Add in a bit of comic book exaggeration and Presto!

I wasn't arguing about the recycled plot.
We never really die.

TordelBack

QuoteRecycled plottage for me is the superpowered rogue caught between the two major powers falls for one of the major powers daughter.

Damnit Leigh, I wish you hadn't pointed this out!  Add in 'hero's superpowers come from restricted off-world tech, and grudge with main villain goes back to mistreatment of his mother'.