Main Menu

Does anyone remember Dark Reign?

Started by betel_uk, 05 February, 2012, 07:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

betel_uk

Anyone remember Activision's Dark Reign from the late 1990s?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Reign:_The_Future_of_War
I loved playing it... only C&C-type game I ever really got into...
It came back to mind because I downloaded the C&C Red Alert free app to my iPhone because I was in a bit of a mood for some "helicopter view" strategy warfare and it all came back why I never really got on with it...
What I really liked about DR was that I felt properly in control of the units (control freak anyone?  :-[)... you could tell them to guard or repair themselves rather than just go tooling off to their doom after some enemy units as soon as they saw any. I also liked how I could create formations that the units retained as they advanced and how I could get them to target specific enemy units while ingnoring the ones the AI would normally pick.
Couple of questions really...
a) Anyone play DR and find another, more recent title with the same level of control? PC or 360 only...
b) Anyone still play DR on a modern machine? Officially it was 95 / 98 only I think but there look like there are more recent patches out there so I guess I could re-play it on Vista if I couldn't find a more recent substitute...
Cheers
Ian

Hegel

betel_uk

Cheers for that Hegel, I'll check it out once I hook the XBox up to the network...  :D

Ian