Main Menu

Han Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 22 October, 2016, 12:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 June, 2018, 08:54:22 AM
Lucas reveals his version of the ST would have been "microbiotic"

Any chance this is a typo? Maybe Luke's exile on Skellig Michael would have involved a lot of brown rice.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Magnetica on 12 June, 2018, 07:26:23 PMMy local cinema has a £4.99 on Mondays deal.
Our nearest Vue is one of those doing '£4.99 every film, every day'. Although given deadline hell and a resident tiny person, we've only been able to take advantage of that precisely twice. Bah. (They occasionally do really early screenings, but it's kind of random.)

Mostly, though, you're talking £11–13 per head around here + parking. And then when you add a babysitter, a single film is heading towards 40 quid, so it needs to be fucking good. As I understand it, Solo is not such a film.

shaolin_monkey

It's £4 in Cineworld Cardiff currently, or £5 for Superscreen.  They had to drop their prices from about £9 a pop,  as all their business was being stolen by Premier just around the corner, who also charge £4.

Sadly, this price drop wasn't around when Dredd screened.  I had to join the £17 a month thing, but it all worked out ok, after seeing Dredd about 15 times there.

Anyway, I digress.  I loved Solo.  I loved it even more for £4 per showing.  I've seen it three times now, and still very much enjoy it.  A sci-fi heist movie with robots, lasers, spaceships, explosions, and a hint of Star Wars.  What's not to like?

JamesC

Last time we went to our little independant cinema my girlfriend and I had the 'ultra luxury' seats, I had a pint and she had a half and it cost £26. Pretty good value.

SIP

£21 per ticket in sunny Liverpool.

Magnetica

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 13 June, 2018, 10:28:24 AM
A sci-fi heist movie with robots, lasers, spaceships, explosions, and a hint of Star Wars.  What's not to like?

That's exactly how I feel about.

Now, having said that, it feels like the least Star Warsy Star Wars film ever.

Indeed it feels more like Guardians of the Galaxy (1) to me.

TordelBack

Quote from: Magnetica on 13 June, 2018, 01:38:41 PM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 13 June, 2018, 10:28:24 AM
A sci-fi heist movie with robots, lasers, spaceships, explosions, and a hint of Star Wars.  What's not to like?

That's exactly how I feel about.

Now, having said that, it feels like the least Star Warsy Star Wars film ever.

Indeed it feels more like Guardians of the Galaxy (1) to me.

All true. But there are many worse things, and few better.

Magnetica

Yes - it's not a criticism at all. In fact I like GoTG more than a lot of the Star Wars films.

Dandontdare

Quote from: SIP on 13 June, 2018, 01:13:10 PM
It's £6.75 at the Odeon Manchester - hop on a train, you'll probably save money (and you get to spend some time in a superior city too!  ;))

IndigoPrime

I'd expect shares in the cinema for that outlay.

TordelBack

I'd chip in, but I'm off to see Jurassic World of Warcraft en famille in the IMAX tomorrow night, and I briefly wondered if they thought I wanted to buy an actual dinosaur...

On that note though, this year so far I have seen two (good) Star Wars films, two (good) Marvel superhero films and now a new Jurassic Park film in the cinema, not to mention the enjoyable Bright and disturbing Annihilation over on Netflix... and it's only June.  What a time to be a nerd!

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

It cost us £90 to see Jurassic World 2 the other day- tickets and drinks from the corner shop for our brood.
SBT

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 June, 2018, 03:42:05 PM
It's £6.75 at the Odeon Manchester - hop on a train, you'll probably save money (and you get to spend some time in a superior city too!  ;))

Yeah if you stay on the train and get off in Sheffield!

See what I did.

SIP

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 13 June, 2018, 09:48:27 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 June, 2018, 03:42:05 PM

Yeah if you stay on the train and get off in Sheffield!

See what I did.

Ha, city rivalry! Curse those Mancs! I'll let the Sheffield one go as I'm married to a Yorkie.

I did see it in 3d Imax I guess......so it's my own fault.