Main Menu

The Complete Zenith

Started by James Stacey, 29 May, 2013, 12:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfly

Wow, didn't expect too get this that early. I'm seriously looking forward to this, haven't read any Zenith for two decades! Would never have known as I wouldn't look at Bleeding Cool normally and from the looks of things it's a good thing, they sound like a bunch of shit stirrers.

Professor Bear

Not really defending the Bleeding Cool method here - it's a bit late as I was slagging them off on Twitter for the balance of their reportage mere days ago - but I imagine they're trying to distance themselves from existing "comics journalism" by being your more traditional muckrakers, as if you think the person who wrote that "comics fans should be thankful to Dan DiDio" piece did so with a straight face you need your head examined.

The articles are shameless clickbait pure and simple, but I guess they have their place in creating contrast to advertiser-led sites like CBR, Newsarama and Comicsalliance, which tend to be largely reverent and uncritical unless they're posting articles by writers with a brand to sell (ie: "my hook is that I am a nerd/feminist/educated non-white dude and I have the following issue with How Things Are" - though even those articles follow the Bleeding Cool method of clickbait-ery by goading their regular commentators into multiple views and posts to drive the site stats up.  As you can imagine, I find this makes the straight-faced lambasting of Rich Johnston - sometimes unnecessarily personal - all the more hilariously hypocritical.

Basically I am saying "at least it isn't the Daily Mail website."  BC is trying to stir up a nerd ruck because it knows it is on the internet - when it starts trying to criminalise homosexuality and post photos of 8 year old girls it has purchased from her mother's stalker, then I'd start to worry.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 27 August, 2013, 03:28:39 PM

I struggle to believe that anyone's advising Grant that the rights to Zenith are unrealised pot of gold, so I suspect —on the basis of absolutely no inside knowledge, I should stress— that he's written it off as a hole into which it's not worth throwing huge sums of cash on an ongoing basis.

As sauchie has observed previously, the resolution to all these copyright/contract disputes is essentially a bag of cash and everything else is quibbling about the size of the bag. There comes a point, I would imagine, where the maximum value of that bag is exceeded by the potential legal spend...

Cheers

Jim

This.

Like Jim, I have no "inside knowledge." But what I do know is that where there is potential for a scrap like this then one side (Rebellion?) would obtain the opinion of a decent QC. The cost, on a corporate scale, is negligible to low; certainly less than five figures, and probably less than five grand.

Armed with a decent opinion, one side (Rebellion?) willy-waves it at the other. The other side (Morrison?) then has to decide whether or not to pony up for a counter opinion in the face of advice from a QC that he is in the wrong. Sure, you can get your own QC to do it - but do you really want to take that risk?

So many legal disputes go nowhere because - believe it or not - common sense prevails!
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

ADDENDUM: It's more likely to be a bun fight over the slice of the pie, behind closed doors, than the Few Good Men battle that Bleeding Cool seems to be agitating for.
Lock up your spoons!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 23 September, 2013, 07:28:38 PM
the Few Good Men battle that Bleeding Cool seems to be agitating for.

"YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TOOTH!"

:-)

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 September, 2013, 08:07:23 PM

Not amused - I have woken one of the children with my hearty guffawing.  I will be sending you the alcohol bill, Mister Campbell.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 September, 2013, 11:11:50 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 23 September, 2013, 08:07:23 PM

Not amused - I have woken one of the children with my hearty guffawing.  I will be sending you the alcohol bill, Mister Campbell.

While I fully understand the need to force alcohol onto children to get them back into a drunken slumber its best not to mention it on a public forum. Social services really don't approve!

Hawkmumbler

Dragonfly

You really give your children alcohol? Wow! Will you be my daddy?

TordelBack

ming

As posted in the commissions thread...  Any suggestions for the identity of the lady at three o'clock?  (She's not Spook or Ruby.)

Quote from: ming on 26 September, 2013, 02:58:11 PM
Just in time for the bumper book of Zenith fun to arrive, here's a recent commission.  Steve Yeowell revisiting pretty much my favourite scene from Phase III.

This, plus a few versions / pencils are now in my CAF gallery and I'll add a larger scan soon.  I've also added the names of all the characters but one; any ideas who the mystery lady at three o'clock could be?

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1055853

sheldipez

@jock4twenty (jock) -
QuoteGot the complete Zenith from @2000AD in the mail. Beautiful book pic.twitter.com/QFIUFM9KOw

Colin Zeal

I'm now fighting the urge to walk out of work to go home and check if my copy has arrived.