Main Menu

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

Started by Goaty, 07 April, 2016, 12:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Well I never! Always thought they were both TV movies, with subsequent cinema space found for the marginally less awful CoC.  You learn something new every day, but no-one ever said it had to be something good.

JOE SOAP

They're technically TV films (shot 4:3) made for ABC Sunday Night Movies that, like the CBS Spider-Man series, got cinema releases outside America.

Tiplodocus

Yes, I enjoyed that. Had volume pumped up because I had the house to myself.

The first hour and a bit still drags slightly but has the advantage of me noticing more character bits that I missed on my first viewing.

I like the way Jyn and Cassian (great character, shame we won't see more) become a team towards the end. And Jyn is not the passive knockabout somevreviews would have you believe.

I'm softer on the fan-wank stuff; it just flies through scenes now as opposed to pulling me out of them. Same with the CG characters.

But the Darth Vader in lava castle scene still feels like a cosplay/fan film of Vader.

Donnie Yen is just great as Chiwoot (sp.)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

wedgeski

Tiplodocus

Oh, I'd forgotten that. Be trick not to make it too relentlessly grimdark given where he starts Rogue One. But I'm sure they can manage.

wedgeski

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 25 September, 2019, 11:53:27 AM
Oh, I'd forgotten that. Be trick not to make it too relentlessly grimdark given where he starts Rogue One. But I'm sure they can manage.
Yeah, he's kind of a dick at the start of the film, so...

Hawkmumbler

Lets all have a moment of silence for the true MVP's of Rogue One. The crew of that wee hammerhead ship that utterly wrecked a pair of Star Destroyers.

Tiplodocus

...which crashed into the almost invulnerable shield lock, leaving it wide open for the transmission to make it out.

I loved the way that wasn't just a pointless cool bit of action and sfx but moved the story resolution forward.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 25 September, 2019, 02:09:13 PM
Lets all have a moment of silence for the true MVP's of Rogue One. The crew of that wee hammerhead ship that utterly wrecked a pair of Star Destroyers.

F

TordelBack

I feel the need to up the heroic adulation by hailing the entire complement of Raddus' crippled and boarded Profundity committing suicide rather than being captured and revealing the location of the Hidden Base, which they'd just come from.

I mean that must have happened, right?

(I'm prepared to accept that of the crew of the Tantive IV that only Leia and Antilles knew the location, as it was an Alderanean diplomatic ship that joined the Profundity en-route to Scarrif, where it took on R2 and 3PO for some reason. But we saw that Mon Cal bridge crew at the Yavin council meeting).

Professor Bear

I imagine they went out fighting like the rest of the cast, and those few taken alive were killed by Vader before they could answer any questions, like that poor chump at the start of ANH.

TordelBack

If only the stormtroopers had some kind of stun setting on their blasters... and if only it was reeeealy important to find out where the rebel base was. Important enough to allow Leia to escape the Death Star with the plans in the company of Obi-Wan's companions for example.

Tiplodocus

But say the base just had a code name. I doubt your average grunt (pilots and bridge crew excepted) could have pointed it out on a star map.

Professor Bear

Quote from: TordelBack on 25 September, 2019, 03:19:50 PM
If only the stormtroopers had some kind of stun setting on their blasters... and if only it was reeeealy important to find out where the rebel base was. Important enough to allow Leia to escape the Death Star with the plans in the company of Obi-Wan's companions for example.

US troops don't barge into Afghan weddings shooting tasers - much as I and several million grieving Afghans would prefer otherwise - so there's probably soldier reasons for not doing stun settings in a battle.  Maybe the paltry soldier armor that Rebellion crewmembers wear is enough to negate stun settings?  I quite like this explanation, as it would mean they were wearing literal plot armor.

TordelBack