Main Menu

What was this scary comic strip in?

Started by M.I.K., 17 December, 2018, 02:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.I.K.

Got a vivid memory of a story, not sure where it appeared, so just on the off-chance somebody knows...

It was the early-mid eighties. I think it may have been in a magazine which sometimes had comic strips in, rather than something that was fully strip-based. Some kind of teen/kids pop-culturey lifestyle magazine or something. I keep thinking of TV Tops, (perhaps when it was just Tops), but don't think it's that, because I remember that being quite comicy.

Story goes like this...

Car breaks down in the middle of nowhere. People in the car are a married couple and their horrible brat of a son, (possibly has curly blonde hair but don't quote me on that). They go to a nearby scary old house, owned by a scary elderly couple. Car couple ask scary couple if they can use their phone. While they are waiting on tow/repair truck / AA van, bored bratty son wanders up to dusty attic. Inside the dusty attic there is an old doll house. Inside the doll house there are three figurines, one of which is smaller than the other two. Bratty son takes the two larger dolls and breaks them beyond repair (think he snaps at least one of them in half). He then takes the smaller figure and jams it so firmly into the chimney of the doll house that no one will ever be able to get it back out again. Parents find him and tell him that they are now leaving.

Some time afterwards, the little boy is asleep in his own bedroom at night. He is awoken by the screams of his parents. He calls out, asking what's going on. Suddenly an invisible force comes in through the bedroom window, whisks him outside and jams him in the chimney of his house. The story ends with someone, (possibly a fireman), saying that he's stuck so tightly in the chimney that they don't know how they'll ever get him out.

Any ideas?

maryanddavid

Sound like a Scream short, but not one that I have read. In know Supernaturals, the licensed title ran some short stories and the 'Doll' too which looks good, maybe in that title?

M.I.K.

Pretty sure it isn't Super Naturals. I think it was earlier than that, (something tells me around 1982-ish). Super Naturals didn't appear 'til late 1987. I read it at the time but don't associate that story with the comic at all, (I re-bought some issues a few years back and it's definitely not in any of those).

Also pretty certain it's nothing to do with Scream, (even though it's very similar in tone). I actually mentioned the story on the old Back From The Depths forum about 11 or 12 years ago. Nobody seemed to recognise it on there.

M.I.K.

I also think it was in a magazine that wouldn't normally have had anything scary in it, so they must have had a reason for printing it, which means the issue of whatever-it-was may have been out around Hallowe'en.

There's also the possibility that it was a reprint or originally intended to be used elsewhere.