Main Menu

Round 2: 4 - Alan Hebden or Rob Williams - Ultimate Not Wagner Tourney

Started by Colin YNWA, 10 June, 2020, 06:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Williams is an intelligent writer whose scripts reveal substantial depth. They are consistently bolstered by sophisticated thematic underpinnings and recurrent motifs, which are cleverly applied in a considered manner. He clearly puts an enormous amount of thought into his writing and is a talented fellow. I enjoy seeing people discuss his writing - unfortunately, I don't actually enjoy the writing itself. The recent Hershey story is my least-favourite story 2000AD has ever run.

Alan Hebden, on the other hand, wrote fifty fun episodes of Lord of the Rings-style antics, only with tigers, snakes and moles. Give me that any day! No contest - Alan Hebden for the win.

Bolt-01

AlexF

I find Williams's work is often weirdly dense and requires a bit of effort on my part to understand the thematic points he is definitely making. Whereas Hebden cuts through the bullshit and delivers intelligent, well-plotted thrills.
But you know, when Williams hits the right mix of tone and style and theme his work really sings. That's true for a lot of his Dredd, quite a bit of Low Life, but he did it best, I think in Ichabod Azrael. Bloody loved that strip, all three over-wrought series of it. Rob Williams it is!

Buttonman

Daveycandlish

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

TordelBack

Williams has written some fantastic stories, and given us two of the great characters of the modern prog in Dirty Frank and Sensitive Klegg. But there are an equal number of his stories I really, really haven't liked at all - even while acknowledging that they are very well done: he's a damned good writer, but what he writes is often not to my tastes. 

So I'm still fightin' with Maze Dumoir Block: Alan Hebden.

Richard

oshii

JayzusB.Christ

I really, really, really hate that he brought Hershey back.  But his other stuff is good. And he did well for himself after leaving Take That.  So Rob it is.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

maryanddavid

For being somewhere in between TB's and GregM's position, the guy in the cupboard for 30 odd years just didnt work for me.
And Death Planet is just class, and Im a sucker for a B-comic! Alan H gets my vote.

Colin YNWA

While there is a clear leader here - it would seem from an eye scan - both writers are pulling in the votes so if you want to try to turn things around, or make sure there's not an astonishing swing get your votes in before the morning as nice and early on Friday I'll be closing the vote in this one.

robprosser

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

What will the result of this meltdown to? Well if you want a voice in that get your vote in soon as I'll count up and annouce who gets to the Quarter Finals tomorrow (Saturday) morning.