Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff

Ah nice one, cheers Eamonn.

Interesting that Alan Davis drew published DR & Quinch artwork as recently as that...

sintec

Quote from: leethomson on 25 October, 2018, 03:03:16 PM
Sadly, the second covers volume is a huge disappointment. The reproductions are smaller than volume 1's and appear to be pretty shoddy scans of random covers, with logos, text, bar codes and creases included. Nothing like the full blown unadulterated art from the previous book.

There is also quite a bit of overlap with covers already reproduced in the Mega Collection. The DeMarco one and the Judgement Day one both leaped out on my first flick through but on closer inspection there are a couple more doubles.  To add insult to injury the reproductions in the Mega Collection are also full pages as opposed to the slightly shrunk versions we have here, although they do still have the logos & bar codes.  Very unimpressed, might actually have a whinge at them on FB.

leethomson

Quote from: sintec on 27 October, 2018, 09:45:55 AM
To add insult to injury the reproductions in the Mega Collection are also full pages as opposed to the slightly shrunk versions we have here, although they do still have the logos & bar codes.  Very unimpressed, might actually have a whinge at them on FB.
To add incompetence to insult, the logos on the slipcases don't even match.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: moldovangerbil on 25 October, 2018, 02:22:18 PMThat way madness lies, but it's still better than their incompetent, confused and contradictory telephone and email responses.
I wrote them a thing, and summarised it. They then ignored precisely 50 per cent of it, which was the bit about them not yet getting paid. I guess I'll give it a month and see what's going on with my bank account before contacting them again, in case they're just being hopeless at getting everything started. (Note: for people reactivating a sub, I've been told the first couple of packages are sent 'manually' and only later will the online system pick everything up, which sounds a bit weird. Either that, or – judging from what I've seen on the TF partworks page – I guess I can at some point look forward to a debt collection agency contacting me.)

sintec

Quote from: leethomson on 27 October, 2018, 10:29:38 AM
To add incompetence to insult, the logos on the slipcases don't even match.
I hadn't noticed that (my bookshelf is overflowing thanks to my "I'll just get a few Dredd books of ebay to flesh things out" turning into a bad habit currently standing at 60 books).

Shifted things around a bit in order to put them side by side. 

Ugh well that's even more disappointing.  If this is what we can expect from the next 2 then I'm probably going to skip them as what felt like it could have been a nice addition to the collection is looking more and more like a waste of bookshelf and £s. The first one felt like an overpriced luxury, this one feels like an overpriced rip-off.

Tomwe

I can now confirm having gotten my hands on Slaine 3 that it and Kingdom 2 have had their endpapers flipped, so it's more likely a printer error rather than the Graphic Designer.

see my tweet here

abelardsnazz

Quote from: Tomwe on 27 October, 2018, 02:15:38 PM
I can now confirm having gotten my hands on Slaine 3 that it and Kingdom 2 have had their endpapers flipped, so it's more likely a printer error rather than the Graphic Designer.

see my tweet here

Given the comments on Hachette's customer service on here, I think I'm going to suck this one up. I know that IndigoPrime has successfully arranged replacements for a number of the Dredd collection, but chances of a positive outcome here are minimal I fear.

IndigoPrime

I got replacements mostly for damage or outright misprints, note. There were two editions that were borderline unreadable. But with the Dredd collection, there were also several issues that had similar issues (incorrect synopses on the back were fairly common), and I didn't bother swapping those out. I suspect with this run, they probably don't have any alternatives anyway.

Jade Falcon

I've emailed Hachette multiple times about the printing issue with the last Dredd book where much of the text is virtually unreadable, especially bolded text.  I've not yet received a reply, not even an acknowledgement.

Very shoddy.

So far I've not been nearly as impressed overall with the 2000ad collection as the JD one.  I'm not a Slaine fan and feel 15 books are a bit much.  I feel there could have been a greater spread on smaller series.  Personally I'd also have liked to have seen more Savage than what was printed in the original Trades as the Wiki article seems to hint at a fair amount beyond The Guv'nor book.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

athorist

I liked DR & Quinch, the war story looks like a dry run for book 3 of Halo Jones. The agony column strips were funny, but you wouldn't really have missed them if they weren't there - I think they only put it in for the Halo Jones reference.

I guess 15 (Wikipedia says 13) books of Slaine is quite a lot, even if some of them are quite short. But then, still not as long as 3 books of Robo-Hunter.
You need light here even in the morning
Compared to this St Petersburg was nothing

The Fall - No Bulbs

Geoff

Quote from: athorist on 28 October, 2018, 02:49:23 PM
I liked DR & Quinch, the war story looks like a dry run for book 3 of Halo Jones. The agony column strips were funny, but you wouldn't really have missed them if they weren't there - I think they only put it in for the Halo Jones reference.

I guess 15 (Wikipedia says 13) books of Slaine is quite a lot, even if some of them are quite short. But then, still not as long as 3 books of Robo-Hunter.

Is that 13 or 15 volumes in the collection devoted to Slaine...?

Or can a number of books be contained in one volume.  Other than the McMahon and Fabry Slaine I'm not too bothered... Having to accommodate 15 or even 13 books of Slaine may mean me having to cancel my subscription...

sintec

It will be 13 books of Slaine = there's some discussion earlier in the thread of what the contents of each book will be.  The tl;dr is pretty much everything up to the end of The Brutania Chronicles I think

IndigoPrime

Everything that's been confirmed for the series is outlined here, if you don't want to be surprised:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_AD:_The_Ultimate_Collection

athorist

I finished Skizz, and I think it might be my favourite Alan Moore story now.

Also finished Time Killer, that story goes on for so loooooooong
You need light here even in the morning
Compared to this St Petersburg was nothing

The Fall - No Bulbs

Colin YNWA

Quote from: athorist on 30 October, 2018, 01:28:07 AM
I finished Skizz, and I think it might be my favourite Alan Moore story now.

I always think that... and then I read Halo Jones and flip flap back and forth.